Michigan ski area update

mikesathome

Lower Michigan ski area update:
All of southeast lower Michigan ski areas have opened with limited hours and ski runs.

I was at Mt Brighton Sunday 11-25-2007 they were running 1 chair and two slopes to slide on.

Apline Valley, Mt Holly, Pine Knob all reporting about the same.

Northen lower Michigan ski areas:

Boyne & Boyne highlands, nubs nob, all were open with 1 or 2 chairs and a few slopes.

Crystal MT Did not open (even with all those new snow guns?) and are planning on opening this weekend (Nov 30th)

Caberfae Peaks plans to open next weekend (Nov 30th)

Sorry, I have nothing to report on U.P. ski areas

Michiagn weatrher is calling for good snowmaking temperatures all week, into next weekend, and a few 'Alberta Clippers' might drop off some light snows this week, and weekend. Also some decent lake effect snows in the U.P. and Northen lower are on tap afer each Alberta Clipper swings by.

Looks like a great weekend coming up to enjoy some early season ticket rates!

Picture from Mt Brighton taking sunday 11-25-2007
firstdaymtb07.jpg

Thanks for the update.

Sounds like you get out quite a bit. Of the lower trash, er, ski hills, which do you prefer. Brighton used to be my preference years ago, then I switched to Alpine Valley, and more recently I've been more likely to visit Mt Holly. Never been Pine Knob. Though, I usually prefer to avoid them alltogether, sometimes I just need to get some turns in and the 1 hour drive is the closest I can get.

Sounds like you get out quite a bit.
Yes I do log about 15-30 ski days a season. I go local and a few trips up north and 1 or 2 out west or east. I can only enjoy local mole hills for about 2 hours, I can add about 2 more hours if I drink it up after the first 2 hours. Skiing became such a bore for me at the mole hills, I started snowboarding and trying other methods of going down the hill (snow scoots, snow blades, tel-skiing) just to add some fun for me.

Of the lower trash, er, ski hills, which do you prefer. Brighton used to be my preference years ago, then I switched to Alpine Valley, and more recently I've been more likely to visit Mt Holly. Never been Pine Knob.
I call them mole hills lol
Brighton is close to me, so if I am pressed for time I go there. Brighton also has a good restaurant on site, much better then Alpine/Holly.

I think Skiing Alpine and Holly Have been a little better than Brighton the past few years with snow making and grooming.

Brighton has opened a golf course on part of the hill, and for the past 2 years never blew a flake of snow on it. I don't know if they are worried about the golf course, or if its a snow gun problem, or what.

I also have never been to Pine Knob, but I do plan to get out there this year (I will report the trip)

I know what you mean about getting bored on those little hills, and even at some of the bigger places up north. I picked up snowboarding a few years ago to give me another challenge, and I own a couple pairs of snow blades, but I still ski more than anything else. Haven't tried tele yet, though it's on my list. I'll look forward to your reports. I hope to get out a few more times this year than last. The weather is looking more promising this year for some pre christmas turns as i've got some vacation days to burn.

dank":1vdw7xly said:
I know what you mean about getting bored on those little hills, and even at some of the bigger places up north. I picked up snowboarding a few years ago to give me another challenge, and I own a couple pairs of snow blades, but I still ski more than anything else. Haven't tried tele yet, though it's on my list. I'll look forward to your reports. I hope to get out a few more times this year than last. The weather is looking more promising this year for some pre christmas turns as i've got some vacation days to burn.

Looks like you might get your wish Dank, I see the Petoskey area is under a Winter Storm Warning. They Might see a 6"-10" of snow by Friday, with another storm moving in late this weekend. Cold air and winds will create some good LES off the warmer waters of lake Michigan. I go up there every new years, and if this weather pattern stays in place, it should be great skiing!

Back