Trip Report - Searchmont, ON - 3/09/08

irishskier

Posted: Mar 09, 2008 - 8:36 PM EST

Trip Report:

Searchmont, Ontario (North of the Sault St. Marie, MI)

3/08/08

Conditions were fantastic, although cold, -18 F, yes that is cold! Snow was super, groomed and natural areas were a blast. Snow was hard in the AM, but the sun softened it up nicely. Tons of natural snow, they do not make a lot.

If you ski in the middle of the country, check this place out. For us flatlanders, 750 feet vertical and 18 trails (a VERY low count by today's methods) make it a great place.

Also skiied Nub's on Sunday, another great sunny but cold day!!

Thanks for the report.

Does Searchmont have a 'good' 750' vertical? Meaning does it have a good pitch for the most part? How does the terrain compare to, say, Nubs? Is it wide open, trees, rocks?? You spent 1 day there, with 18 trails does it feel like you could do a weekend? Sorry for the barage of questions but I've always wanted to try it. Thanks.

Yes, the do get 750 out of it, felt a lot like Nub's front and south, but with MUCH longer runs. Seems like more than 18 trails too, I could definitely spend a weekend there. There is also quite a bit of off trail tree skiing if you are into that. Nice lodge too. I felt like I spent a lot less time on the lift than in Michigan and even got the quads to start burning a bit . . .

Thanks for the info. I actually do prefer off trail tree skiing. Now all i need to do is convince some people to make the trek up there next year.

The trails on the far left of the trailmap are near glade skiing and there are many through the trees tracks. Narrow trails in places, you'll like it!

Back