Stowe 4/12-13

Sharon

The weather forecast was foreboding and thoughts of bailing on this trip crossed my mind, especially after the 4 epic days we had last week at Whiteface. But I had 2 ski pals on board to share the 6 1/2 hr drive to Stowe. When we arrived Friday night, our friend Bruno, who had snowboarded that day did not have anything very good to report. He said it was solid and 40 degrees was not enough to soften things up without sunshine. The report was for rain, fog and clouds for the rest of the weekend.

Saturday morning the sun was shining in the valley which was most encouraging. The mountain tops were still in the clouds, but the clouds broke up and moved around a lot all day, never completely overtaking the sky. The snow softened up and layers of clothes were left in the car.

We met up with a very large group from the skivt-l ski discussion group. We started off with about 20 skiers and each run we snowballed into a much larger group, topping out somewhere close to 45 people. I have never skied with such a large group. But this group was comprised of people who live to ski and ski to live and most were excellent skiers, willing to ski wherever the group would go. Wes and his 7 yr old son WIlliam led the pack and we went to a number of different locations in the woods. William is proving to be quite the budding skier. The snow softened as the temperatures climbed. We skied hard until noon. Pam and I dropped more clothes and refueled and hydrated at the car, the phat skis came out and we went up to meet the group for more adventure.

Right after lunch, Pam and I took a run with Allen Taylor and Sam Lozier (you may see their exploits on TGR) and a few other guys on the closed Goat. I don't know why this run was closed. It skied very well. We also skied the woods on both sides of Goat. At one point we had 40 people duck the rope at Goat, all dropping into the woods like nobody's business. It was quite a mob scene. We were the only crowd on the mountain. When we got down to the lift, we were the lift line. When we were on any trail, it was crowded. We often stuffed ourselves into the woods. We were a mob scene. It was a whole nuther type of skiing, but fun none-the-less.

Saturday's conditions softened to a creamy corn on the traveled surfaces, but the snow was rotting like crazy on the less-traveled surfaces. It was sometimes very tricky skiing through the woods on that rotting snow. It would really grab your ski and keep you from turning. A few close calls were had. Being with such a large group made it much easier by letting the first people "groom" it out for us, "human groomin".

For a last run, Allen and Sam led the group again under the rope at Goat and we dropped into what is called Pipeline. This was pretty challenging for most. Hop turns and side slipping were required as well as a log and rock crossing. Once through the narrows, it opened up nicely and the skiing was good the rest of the way down. It was a fitting way to end the day and we were ready for apres ski libations.

We had a tailgate party in the parking lot afterwards and many beers and hot dogs were consumed.

Sunday the group was lighter and the skiing was much less exciting. It was cooler and less sunny. It had snowed about a half-inch which really did help the conditions. It would have been much more icy had it not snowed. Anything ungroomed skied like a coral reef. Not the most pleasant and quite chattery. We kept it to the groomers and made it a short day so we could get home at a reasonable hour not thoroughly exausted.

Attachments

• LowerGondolier.jpg
    LowerGondolier.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 6,108
  • PamOnGoat.jpg
    PamOnGoat.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 6,107
  • VtlersAllOver.jpg
    VtlersAllOver.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 6,104
  • BruceInWoods.jpg
    BruceInWoods.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 6,118
  • CrowdInWoods.jpg
    CrowdInWoods.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 6,111
  • FirstRunGroup.jpg
    FirstRunGroup.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 6,115
I unfortunately missed out on Stowe Saturday, but I can't complain, because I was skiing fun conditions at Sugarbush -- though the Sugarbush woods were a mess with downed branches, etc., so I only was in them for one run. The bumps were lots of fun though.

Stowe on Sunday was ice, and anything ungroomed essentially unskiable. We stuck to the groomers as well, and took a morning break as well as a lunch break (as well as stopping around 2:40), because there wasn't much to ski. Second to last run I decided to just try something ungroomed so I wouldn't regret not doing it. Skied Centerline (Goat, Starr, and Lookout were all closed from the top) to woods off of Hayride to lower Lookout. Centerline was solid icy bumps. The woods were slightly better than that--the positive thing I can say is that there is a ton of snow and there is not a mess like there was at Sugarbush. Lower Lookout was closer to Centerline. After that I knew the groomers were the right choices, as much as I normally stay off them.

Unfortunately I didn't notice Sharon or Porter ... kind of funny, since there were so few people on the mountain, I figure I would've ran into everyone.

Also, I have to give credit(?) to those two people hiking up to the Chin shortly passed 10am. I wasn't going up in those conditions. Hope they made it out ok.

Sunday, we skied one run off the quad and went right over to the gondi. Conditions there were much better, so we spent the rest of the morning lapping the gondi trails. When that got boring, we went back to the quad and skittered down Liftline to end our day. We were done by 12:45. The skiing was uninspiring Sunday after such a great day on Saturday.

Sharon":1r7m3qwf said:
Sunday, we skied one run off the quad and went right over to the gondi. Conditions there were much better, so we spent the rest of the morning lapping the gondi trails. When that got boring, we went back to the quad and skittered down Liftline to end our day. We were done by 12:45. The skiing was uninspiring Sunday after such a great day on Saturday.

Pretty similar for us. Booted up in the main lodge by the quad, did Liftline as a first run and took it over to the gondi. Did the groomers there until lunch, and then headed back to the quad for a couple runs. Even weirder that we didn't run into each other given that we were both on the gondi for much of the morning.

kcyanks1":3hpo0hkk said:
Also, I have to give credit(?) to those two people hiking up to the Chin shortly passed 10am. I wasn't going up in those conditions. Hope they made it out ok.

That was us. Didn't have the green pants on because they were still wet from the day before. Skied a viciously icy hour-glass, then out to the brook. BONE CHATTERING. Was pretty freaking fun none-the-less. Probably be some of the last people down that route for the season, as it at lower elevations the stream crossings are getting TOUGH.

Spent Sat night in the taft with a huge group, damn was it fun.

salida":38g7k2oo said:
kcyanks1":38g7k2oo said:

That was us. Didn't have the green pants on because they were still wet from the day before. Skied a viciously icy hour-glass, then out to the brook. BONE CHATTERING. Was pretty freaking fun none-the-less. Probably be some of the last people down that route for the season, as it at lower elevations the stream crossings are getting TOUGH.

You know, I figured it might have been, but I didn't think I saw anyone matching the clothing description given in the other thread. Had you sampled the icy inbounds ungroomed terrain before going up? Did you stay in bounds otherwise?

salida":s2ox1czj said:
kcyanks1":s2ox1czj said:

Spent Sat night in the taft with a huge group, damn was it fun.

BTW, now you are also making me a little jealous. As much as my run down Centerline/Hayride woods/Lookout made me think I made the right decision staying on the groomers, your report of the Chin being "pretty freaking fun" makes me think I should've been more adventurous ;-)

Um... We skied back from the taft lodge with very heavy packs through the forest making our way back to chin clip, and knew it was very slick. So yes I guess so. We only took the far back country run for the day, as we had to be out by 1pm. So didn't ski much in bounds... Wanted to show one of the folks in our party the area as he'd never been out there.

Looks like pretty good coverage...should be some good skinnin up there for a while to come.

The huge group thing can be magic. It seems to happen when conditions are good and a variety of levels can stay together more easily.

Saturday sounds like a day you won't forget. Maybe your brain will edit out Sunday and in the distant future you'll remember Saturday as your last day in 2008.

How many days did you get this year Sharon?

How many days did you get this year Sharon?

I ski about 50 days a year give or take. I think I'm in that zone. I don't keep exact records.

I also xc ski about 25 days a year.

I am sad that my ski season is over. There is a small chance I'll head up to Gore this weekend if the weather is decent, but I have so much to do here that has been neglected for the last few weeks. I pretty much have decided that I'm done, but that could change in a flash with nice weather on the weekend.

My mtn bike is all ready to go and my trails were nearly dry enough last week (minus a few really muddy sections). I think with 2 or 3 dry sunny days, I'll be able to hit the trails on my land.

Sharon":1lxlyadb said:
We met up with a very large group from the skivt-l ski discussion group.

That makes me thing of the "live" discussion James, Harvey and I were having at Whiteface last week. We were thinking that it would be fun trying to set up a day like this next season.

I've skied with River, maybe a partial run with Salida, Tony, Admin, Hamdog, James deluxe, Harvey, etc... just to say, I've always had fun with you guys and it would be fun to together at some point.

While it might be hard to organize, due to timing issues, when they are open etc...I'd love to have a pilgrimage to the slides next year. Or maybe Mad.

Hey Sharon...all days on skis are ski days in my book. When you think about it, fixed heel skiing is new to the party....maybe 60 years old? Free heels been happenin at least a couple thousand years. :wink:

It would be fun to do an FTO gathering some place. Certainly Whiteface is a good bet. I also have digs up there for 10 people!! so, we can maybe do something for next year.

Let's try to make something happen for the last weekend of March...this way it won't conflict with the skivt-l shindig, which seems to happen either the first or second weekend of April.

We've got a whole year to make this thing come together.

Sharon":2602n6vk said:
It would be fun to do an FTO gathering some place.

Yes, it would. I've never meet or disliked someone from FTO, I couldn't say with everyone on TGR. :lol:

Certainly Whiteface is a good bet.(...) so, we can maybe do something for next year.

Whiteface or Northern Vermont? We would have to ask those who would be interested, a few of them are on the other side of the lake. I would be cool on either location.

Let's try to make something happen for the last weekend of March...this way it won't conflict with the skivt-l shindig, which seems to happen either the first or second weekend of April.

The timing could be just right, imagine the Slides might actually be open (wishful thinking).

First weekend of April is also Shareholder day at MRG, a few of us are shareholders, so late weekend of March would be good.

We've got a whole year to make this thing come together.

We can make it happen.

Bobby Danger":2nceu9kx said:
nice to see there is still some base. it's supposed to snow sunday for closing at alta :cry: :cry:

Mont Alta is trying to make it May, but it's doing to be hard with the 21c we got today.

Just in case Bob was talking about Alta, Québec. :wink:

just checking in on the old country. my roots used to lie in n.h. don't want the eastern brethren to get discouraged that were not watching we know electronics close the gap.i skied at stowe back in about 1980 on april 1 the first day of baseball season with 30" of new. basically by myself when there was a single chair still in service long since gone. that's about the best experience of stowe i remember. skied with ski dog & tele john today mixed between snowbird & alta, utah. sugar cliffs gully provided the highest quality corn. supportable with about a 1/4" of champagne corn softened on top.(fine stuff) 900 verts one shot. assorted minerals & peruivan gulch & gad valleys north facing in snowbird still believe it or not has alot of colder snow. packed powder of the highest speeds. skied two turbo traverses across ballroom to the top of wildcat chair. down assorted sections of wildcat trees. (magnificent). alta utah's last full weekend of operation.the best is still yet to come. bye

Back