Shopping for Alpine Touring Gear

Tony Crocker":swtzymak said:
I tried on the Garmont Shogun at a shop in Hakuba. First lightweight AT boot that was fairly comfortable. Anyone know anything about it?

Not really an AT boot, more a freeride boot from an AT boot company.

admin":1hesyebc said:
Yes, but 8.3 pounds is middle-of-the-road for weight on AT boots. Vs. 10.5 pounds for my alpine boots or 9.5 for the Salomon Quest.

Tony Crocker":2v6smd70 said:
admin":2v6smd70 said:
Yes, but 8.3 pounds is middle-of-the-road for weight on AT boots. Vs. 10.5 pounds for my alpine boots or 9.5 for the Salomon Quest.

But, it's not an AT boot -- Alpine DIN sole, no unlockable cuff.

no unlockable cuff
??? It definitely had a walk mode switch on the back, and I tested that in the shop. Cuff was lockable/unlockable, you could stand perfectly upright when unlocked.

I prefer the alpine DIN sole for the Marker Baron bindings I already have.

Tony Crocker":eowrtcg0 said:
??? It definitely had a walk mode switch on the back, and I tested that in the shop. Cuff was lockable/unlockable, you could stand perfectly upright when unlocked.

Maybe they've changed it since the first gen I skied in, or maybe I've just had too many cocktails since then.

Tony Crocker":eowrtcg0 said:
I prefer the alpine DIN sole for the Marker Baron bindings I already have.

You're missing the whole point, however. You don't buy AT boots to fit bindings you already own. You buy them for ease and comfort of touring. And sometimes, perhaps even often, a tour may involve a bootpack. I'd sure as hell rather do that in grippy, rockered Vibram soles than hard, flat, smooth Alpine DIN soles. Especially when walking over rock.

This whole discussion is moot, though, as the Barons are made to accommodate AT boot soles, so I really don't know what you're talking about.

Glad to know that I wasn't losing my mind.
43b6ca3a-2dfe-6212.jpg

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Back