2010-11 Ski-Day Count

Tony Crocker":7zgeqjri said:
I had forgotten that Rainer Hertrich is setting those ski records on telemarks. :-o

I believe we discussed that fact online back in 2006 after I bumped into him.

Yesterday ends the season at 39. My goal was 60 so you can add that to the discussion points on why 2010-2011 wasn't a super great season for the east coast. At least from a powder perspective, just not a ton of big dumps during the week worthy of a vacation day.

Area Days Vertical Powder
Mt. Baldy 2 33.2 7
Mt. Waterman 1 4.1 0
Mountain High 1 34.3 2
Mammoth 27 537.4 33
Aspen Highlands 1 12.6 4
San Gorgonio 1 1.3 0
Snowbird 9.5 165.9 40
Alta 3.5 55.2 21
Vail 2 50.2 4
Deer Valley 1 24.7 0
Arapahoe Basin 2 31 0
Breckenridge 2 45.4 8
Alyeska 3 66 0
Chugach Powder Heli 2 31.9 3
*Goryu/Hakuba47, Japan 1 12.4 0
*Happo One, Japan 2 47.7 14
*Niseko, Japan 6 113.9 41
*Rusutsu, Japan 1 15.3 8
*Chisenupuri, Japan 1 11.9 6
*Loveland 1 17.7 0
*Mt. Shasta 2 6.2 0
Total 72 1318.3 191
*New area

No surprise the day and vertical counts are records in my first year of retirement. But the numbers are better than I expected due to the early start and late finish of the season. The Mammoth and Snowbird totals are records also, though Mammoth not by a lot over the 22 days in 1981-82 (I wish they had MVP then!). The powder was not a record, since one of my intended powder trips to Alaska produced almost none. But note Japan definitely met expectations for consistent powder in January.

Lift served powder at 15% (strict definition by vertical, means ~30% of days were "powder days" by most people's criteria) was my 3rd highest season vs. average of 10% since 1996-97 (max 19% in 1998-99), when I first acquired powder skis and put more effort in that direction. January 29 at Niseko and "Fat Tuesday" March 8 at Snowbird/Alta were the standout days of the season.

March and April produced some of the best windbuff/windsift days I've had at Mammoth, and conditions were similar in early April at Snowbird, Breckenridge and A-Basin.

Retirement also allowed me to ski more in backcountry/sidecountry than when I was working, due to improved conditioning as well as more time available.

On July 2 I reached the milestone of 20 million vertical lifetime. Mammoth and totals later adjusted for the 2 earned turn days 8/31 and 9/1.

141 Days this season of that 139 were in Utah and 2 in Jackson Hole. Right now I've skied the last 11 months. If possible I'll ski in September and make it 12 months which will then open up a whole new can of worms.

mbaydala":28ti623q said:
If possible I'll ski in September and make it 12 months which will then open up a whole new can of worms.
I don't know what you mean? O:) As I sit about 2.5 hr drive away from month 71.

Patrick":1rqgevul said:
mbaydala":1rqgevul said:
If possible I'll ski in September and make it 12 months which will then open up a whole new can of worms.
I don't know what you mean? O:) As I sit about 2.5 hr drive away from month 71.

That is incredible! Go for it. I've got a couple friends that are into linking up ski seasons. Never been my thing, this year I think I'm going for it though.

mbaydala":1wyu44ic said:
I've got a couple friends that are into linking up ski seasons. Never been my thing, this year I think I'm going for it though.

Did it once, once was enough.

Did it once, once was enough.
Generally my sentiments also. I do see the possibility of 11 consecutive months at one ski area though given how much snow was there at the end of July:
file.php

110 Total Days, 71 lift served/39 backcountry

First Day of Season, November 18, Chugach

Summit-Lake.jpg

Last Day of Season, August 21, Sierras

Listo.jpg

jamesdeluxe":2iuesljj said:
That Chugach pic is a winner.

Thanks JD.

That is our project development manager Dave, above Summit Lake, about 4 miles from the Manitoba project. It was literally our first turns of the season. And what a season it was.

Back