Mt. Rose, NV, March 28, 2017

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
Mt. Rose, NV, March 28, 2017

View of Mt. Rose Ski Area from Reno Tuesday morning:
IMG_0144a.JPG

In the lodge they have some pics dating back to the founding of the area in 1953.
IMG_0146.JPG

The Slide Mt. side (Reno Ski Bowl) was developed first. The area labeled “Mt. Rose Bowl” is Sky Tavern, now used as a co-op teaching area for local kids on 8 winter weekends. Also interesting on that map is that several of the Chutes (Execution, Devil’s Slide, Steilhang, etc.) are labeled too. The Mt. Rose Ski Area looker’s right of “Steilhang” in that picture was developed separately and Rose merged with Slide in 1987. The Chutes were “ski at your own risk” into the 1960’s, but then strictly out of bounds until the controlled opening in 2004-05. That’s when I made a point to visit Mt. Rose and was rewarded with a 16-inch powder day during President’s Weekend: viewtopic.php?t=728 My second visit in 2012 was also a powder day: viewtopic.php?t=10085

We chose today because it was 2-for-1 Tuesday, but I had high expectations again and was not disappointed. Mt. Rose leads the Sierra in snowfall with about 700 inches due to getting nearly all snow during some of the atmospheric river storms when lower North Tahoe ski areas got some rain. There was some new snow over the weekend to resurface the mountain in winter snow after the long mid-March warm spell. Tuesday was clear but warmed only into the mid-30’s. Thus the Chutes and the Mt. Rose side were all in packed powder mode. Only the east facing part of the Slide Mt. side was crunchy from any melt/freezing. A few flatter areas softened late in the day but nothing ever got too slushy.

We got up top just before 10AM with this view east over Washoe Lake.
IMG_0149.JPG

After a few warmup runs I ventured into the Chutes, first Cutthroat, one of the shorter ones far skier’s left. Next I went through the top El Cap gate. It was steep and fimly windpacked at the entry, but I moved skier’s right into Captivator with softer snow.
IMG_0151.JPG

The Chutes were tracked out of deep powder but not really hammered into firm packed snow or much in the way of moguls. Mt. Rose seems still to be mostly a local’s area with the intermediate terrain much busier than the Chutes, even though the Chutes are comparable in scale and challenge to Mammoth’s chair 22 and not that different from KT-22 at Squaw but with better snow.

Next run was Yellow Jacket with a couple of skiers.
IMG_0154.JPG

I rarely saw any more people than this while skiing the Chutes.

Around noon I returned to the Yellow Jacket gate but went skier’s left into Detonator.
IMG_0156.JPG

In this view Detonator is the right sign and Fuse the left sign.

After these I needed a breather and met Liz at the Zephyr chair. We skied the Central Pacific and Bruce’s groomers, then the Olympic trees.
IMG_0160.JPG

After lunch Liz and I skied Beehive, the only single black gate into the Chutes.
IMG_0164.JPG

She is barely visible between trees at center.

I took another lap in that area through nicely spaced trees, then El Cap and Hornet’s Nest for a total of 8 runs in the Chutes.

I finished with a couple of groomers on the Mt. Rose side. Upper Ramsey’s has a view to Lake Tahoe.
IMG_0165a.JPG

I skied 27,800 vertical, most of that very high quality skiing.

Looks great. Of the Tahoe areas, I've always been most interested in Mt Rose and Sugar Bowl, although I'm sure the high-profile ones have their attractions.
8)

8 laps into the Chutes is a strong day. I only had 6 last year in late April as I waited until almost noon before trying one to have good visibility and to make sure it was not dust on crust (or ball bearings on ice). I shared a few chair rides with an employee who was trying to do them all, but only got 11/14.

jamesdeluxe":1jf47pdz said:
Looks great. Of the Tahoe areas, I've always been most interested in Mt Rose and Sugar Bowl, although I'm sure the high-profile ones have their attractions.
8)
From a terrain quality standpoint, a good argument can be made that Tahoe is the best ski region in North America. "Secondary" areas like Mt. Rose and Sugar Bowl offer comparable variety and challenge to the high profile places.

I've been lucky with Mt. Rose as all 3 of my days there have had stellar conditions.

Tony Crocker":djyj7c78 said:
From a terrain quality standpoint, a good argument can be made that Tahoe is the best ski region in North America.

While I tend to agree, I feel it is not quite as simple as that. If Tahoe had continental snowpack and super dry snowfall it would not open nearly so much steep terrain. Conversely if Utah and Colorado got huge dumps of high water content snow followed by near freezing conditions (vs the high temp differential super cold nights) then Colo would have long ago opened lots of super steep terrain... Basically the snow type and temp conditions I believe are both very highly correlated and causal in the terrain availability choices made by the resort builders and operators throughout skiing's history.

So Tahoe snow conditions are frequently much worse, though with better terrain for those times when snow is of decent quality. Other regions have better snow conditions, but frequently fewer great terrain options due to avi and snow depth/sticking issues.

Abundant snowfall (or more specifically SWE) is a prerequisite for opening steep terrain and keeping it open. The majority of Colorado areas are marginal in this regard. The instability of Colorado's snowpack means A-Basin has to close Pali mid-May yet comparable terrain at Mammoth will be skiable to July 4 or whenever Mammoth closes.

It is possible to have adequate SWE for opening steeps and high quality snow too. See LCC and Jackson Hole. It is also possible to have high water content snow and consistently good surface conditions if altitude/exposure are favorable. See Mammoth, Mt. Bachelor and the Whistler alpine.

EMSC":ghkm90qx said:
Basically the snow type and temp conditions I believe are both very highly correlated and causal in the terrain availability choices made by the resort builders and operators throughout skiing's history.
I agree. But the results of those choices should inform vacationing skiers who prioritize steep terrain as well as those who prioritize snow quality.

Back