Eastern Closing Thread 2017

Patrick

I've been running around trying to compile everything as well as trying to find time to use the Ski + Ride card I bought in October.

Here is weekend update on who's spinning and closing dates floating around.

Still 98 ski areas in the East still hoping to spin this weekend:

Québec : 48
Vermont : 13
New Hampshire : 9
New York : 6
Maine : 5
Ontario, Newfoundland & Labrador, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia & Massachusetts : 2 each
Pennsylvania : 1
April Snow, April Showers – Eastern Closing Thread 2017 – Week 2
https://madpatski.wordpress.com/2017/04 ... 17-week-2/"

The previous update from last week is here:
Big Corn and Snow in April – Eastern Closing Thread 2017 – Part 1
https://madpatski.wordpress.com/2017/03 ... 17-part-1/"

Stowe will close the 23rd..so good to go on that. Killington will close last. Superstar is over 20 feet thick so that will last into May.

kingslug":2cwpzuw5 said:
Stowe will close the 23rd..so good to go on that. Killington will close last. Superstar is over 20 feet thick so that will last into May.

That what I had for Stowe (see link), however K has dared to mention the "J" month.

The Northeast has been on a roll for the past 4 weeks. More terrain is open today at many areas than on March 31 of an average year. It should be a good April for spring skiing if it doesn't rain too much.

The odd laggard is Sugarloaf, 67% open when median for this time of year is 90%.

Here is the latest update.

Not much time to write, too much skiing to be had. The last few days have been closer to Spring skiing with Summer temps at many Eastern ski areas. The heat made way today for a cooling of temperatures and rain. Despite the heat and rain, many ski areas have enough coverage to probably make to their Easter weekend goal. Skiing options will greatly diminish after Easter with less than half of them keeping the option open for spinning the lifts again once all the chocolate eggs are eaten.

53 Eastern ski areas tentatively open on Easter weekend.

QC: 28
VT: 8
NH: 6
NY: 3
ME, NB & NL: 2 each
ON & NS: 1 each

The list...
Heading for late Easter skiing – Eastern Closing Update 2017 – Week 3
https://madpatski.wordpress.com/2017/04 ... 17-week-3/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tony Crocker":3kw1vduf said:
The odd laggard is Sugarloaf, 67% open when median for this time of year is 90%.

Probably related to lift closures. Also noticed that Cannon might have been generous in their open trail count yesterday.

Tony Crocker":qs3p6kv7 said:
I don't know where you're getting your info, but their website shows more than 67%.

sl1.PNG

sl2.PNG

sl3.PNG

Here is this week's blog post. A quick version, we are down to 2 (MSS and K).

What a difference one trip out West makes. From many ski options in the East when I left on April 21 to only 2 remaining in the East with no lifts spinning until the weekend. Alberta is offering skiing at 3 ski areas, but the lifts are spinning daily with overall 85% of the runs open at these resorts (From 63% at Marmot Basin to 98% at Sunshine). Like in the East, many of the skiing public aren't showing up in the late season, regardless of the amount of snow left. Marmot Basin and Lake Louise will be closing this coming Sunday with an incredible amount of snow left. The situation in Eastern Quebec is similar, we saw Gaspe's Mont Miller closed last weekend and Mont Comi deciding today not to reopen this weekend.

How long May it last? - Week 6
https://madpatski.wordpress.com/2017/05 ... st-week-6/

Lake Louise had a record 150cm new snow this April. You picked the right year to go out there in this time frame. Did you get up to Marmot too?

Tony Crocker":1a6uphzq said:
Lake Louise had a record 150cm new snow this April. You picked the right year to go out there in this time frame. Did you get up to Marmot too?

No I was there for a course (April 24-28), so limited time to drive around, especially that I needed to mostly rent skis. You cannot fit 3 pairs of skis in one ski bag and keep it under 50 lbs. The bare minimum was 55 lbs without poles, etc.

BTW huge avalanche just closed the road between LL and Jasper.

Landed Friday night in YYC.
Sat: Nakiska on SL skis
Sun: LL on rentals
Mon-Tues: classroom even with the big snow day in Banff Tuesday
Wed-Fri: on snow part of the course on one run on Wawa at SSV (GS and SL)
Sat: SSV on rentals and run down the Dive. Return trip to YYC to drop off my coaching colleague at the airport.
Sun: LL on rentals
Mon: SSV on my SL skis
Tues: Flight back home.

I've seen Patrick ski and less than ideal gear is not going to cramp his style. So why bother to rent, unless it was being comped as part of the instructor clinic?

Tony Crocker":49j8wbb7 said:
I've seen Patrick ski and less than ideal gear is not going to cramp his style. So why bother to rent, unless it was being comped as part of the instructor clinic?

Coaching course (DL aka old coach 2), Yes, I passed.

Because my SL and GS are too precious to mess up in case I hit something. These are my working tools, plus why would I want to ski Delirium Dive, Swedes, Whitehorn Gullies or other fun stuff with 165 SL skis or 183 GS skis?

Update: MSS just announced extra wkend of skiing. New closing date: May 21. Kmart still going until the snow melts or June.

Patrick":3ks1ayuo said:
Update: MSS just announced extra wkend of skiing. New closing date: May 21. Kmart still going until the snow melts or June.

Actually forgot that May 22 is a Holiday here in Canada, so MSS will be open May 20-21-22.

That holiday is the usual public closing of Whistler or Blackcomb and Sunshine. Blackcomb reopens later for the Horstman Glacier camps.

Patrick":33otfc3e said:
Latest update, two are still standing.

May turns to V: Victoria and Very Hot – Eastern Closing Thread 2017 – Part 8
https://madpatski.wordpress.com/2017/05 ... 17-part-8/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Make that one... K is the only game in town for lift served, but walking on and off the lift is required.

***Update: Friday May 19, 3:00pm: The MSS crew couldn't save the snow; the heatwave killed St-Sauveur season this week. MSS's last day was Saturday May 13.

Back