Powder Mtn 2/5/19

Arrived to PowMow at 935.......after debating where to go. Snow was quite good - not all time blower, but definitely lots of face shots to be found on every single run. High density followed by low density in the morning. Snow showers turned to beautiful snowy conditions in the upper teens. Cold! Wind was variable - in sheltered places it was perfect -- ridgelines were a different story.

Believe it or not, moderately crowded (for PowMow) IMO. Based on a few chairlift conversations, every place is more crowded. The Ikon pass has changed things. More people in Salt Lake isn't helping (the developments going on is really something - Salt Lake and N. Salt Lake - condos and townhomes going up everywhere). More deals on season passes - Ikon/Mtn. Collective. It sure seems that 10 years ago, PowMow was a bit of a secret. Vast terrain with very few people. The secret is out thanks to virtually free marketing via FB.

Anyways, if you are willing to go just a little bit further than the average person at PowMow, you'll almost be guaranteed untracked or nearly untracked runs on a storm day. There are many secret little spots - typically those that require traversing are the best -- as the knuckle draggers loathe the long traverses..........

Winds were moderate -- I would say 40 mph gusts at the top. I was really really cold. I've skied Alta in January at -11 deg F on a bluebird day and I felt like yesterday was colder than that w/ the wind chill. Think low teens with 40 mph gusts on ridgelines. Paying the hefty taxes.

Got to the car at 4pm........no issues with the road as the road crews do a phenomenal job on that potentially treacherous road up to Pow Mow.

Sorry there aren't more photos......it was snowing most of the day so I kept my phone in my jacket. DIdn't want to take the gloves off.

Attachments

• 20190205_141912.jpg
    20190205_141912.jpg
    338.1 KB · Views: 8,019
  • 20190205_141915.jpg
    20190205_141915.jpg
    427.9 KB · Views: 8,020
thanks Marc yeah i saw that.......

this kid was mentioning he was there in Ogden for "the Summit" -- apparently sounds like a hangout for rich kids. it was in SLC as well as Eden? must be nice ;)

Tony Crocker":20rh7c1x said:
On the area he skied actually being open and accessible.

Even though you only implied it and don't have the guts to come out and say it yourself,

a) Alta was open and accessible on 2/5, so as usual you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.
b) I actually had a 10 am root canal/crown that day instead of skiing, so as usual you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.
c) We're *this* close to having one fewer moderator on these forums (and I'm serious), because as usual you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

Frankly, I'm pretty much through with having you decide that you know better than me, or anyone else, what we ought to do.

a) Were no Utah ski area roads open on Feb. 6?
b) I'm missing the relevance of this point completely with regard to deciding where to ski on a bad weather or high traffic day.
c) In that case there will be no moderator, because I'm the one who's been deleting spam posts for most of the past year. I deleted 6 of them this morning.

I'm also the one who was personally insulted for quoting numbers directly from Alta Ski Patrol. I'm not sure what admin is so agitated about.

jojo_obrien":15g4f10d said:
Anyways, if you are willing to go just a little bit further than the average person at PowMow, you'll almost be guaranteed untracked or nearly untracked runs on a storm day. There are many secret little spots - typically those that require traversing are the best -- as the knuckle draggers loathe the long traverses..........

I haven't been to Powder Mountain in a few years. Thanks for the update. It seems that Utah skiing in general isn't what it was even a few years ago; too many skiers on fat skis taking fast lifts and tracking up the powder within about an hour of any new terrain being opened. I'm glad that PowMow hasn't gotten that bad yet (Snowbird and Alta certainly have, and I hear that even Solitude could change its name to "Crowded, Too").

jojo_obrien":15g4f10d said:
Sorry there aren't more photos......it was snowing most of the day so I kept my phone in my jacket. DIdn't want to take the gloves off.

I tried something at the end of last year that has helped me in the gloves department. I wear a pair of heavy duty (9 Mil thick) nitrile disposable gloves under my ski gloves. That way my skin is not exposed to the wind when I take my ski gloves off. I'm still able to operate my phone with the nitrile gloves on. The gloves are tough enough to last for days of skiing, yet thin enough not to make the outer gloves too tight (which I've had happen with most other liners). An added bonus is that my hands sweat a little under them, so they don't get dried out the way they often do on ski trips. One drawback is that they're a little hard to get in and out of the outer gloves, since the nitrile is a little grippy. It's not a panacea, but definitely works better for me than bare hands exposed to the wind chill.

Back