More Shenanigans on Mammoth Mountain Snowman Facebook Page

baldyskier

I put a post on the Mammoth Mountain Snowman Facebook Page regarding my recent 2 day ski trip to Mammoth. I received a few comments and a bunch of likes. The MM Snowman even used one of my pictures on his seperate website. However, a day or two later I couldn't find my post. In it's place was a FB generic note, "This content isn't available right now".

I don't think I put anything offensive in there, unless mentioning the hard conditions on Friday was too honest, or suggesting a better gasoline station than Fort Independence in Big Pine offended someone. I thought the only rule there was "Don't sell lift tickets".

Any ideas on what is going on? Since I was the only one that posted a trip report with pictures for the weekend, plus the feedback was positive, I'm puzzled as to why it was taken down.

Hopefully you can ask Mammoth Snowman directly. Admins can make inadvertent errors. Our admin has deleted two threads here by mistake. That's a great track record over so many years but still a demonstration that errors can happen.

5/20/2019 still no response from MMS, and I've been kicked out of the group again. Does he have bots running MMS FB Group?

You've actually been kicked out of the group or was just your post removed?

I've been a long time member of the group. I rarely post, just occasionally comment typically.

egieszl":kq52qdty said:
You've actually been kicked out of the group or was just your post removed?

I've been a long time member of the group. I rarely post, just occasionally comment typically.

A previous post was removed wherein I was asking if anyone knew of a similar FB group for Squaw Valley, then I was kicked out (summarily, with no communication before or after). I asked to rejoin and was granted that after a week or so. I then took a trip to Mammoth and posted a trip report, which was well received. That report got taken down a few days later (even though MMS used one of my pictures on his website). I was subsequently kicked out of the group, again with no communication. I reached out to MMS via FB private message and got no response. Likewise with his two sons, who are also admins on the MMS FB Page, again, no response.

I then asked to join the group again and was apparently denied, as the request disappeared after a couple if days. I repeated that about 6 times over a 2 week period until I was finally allowed back in. I'll keep a low profile and just seek information. I don't know if nobody is minding the store, it's a case of mistaken identity or what. I don't know MMS personally, though he seems like a decent guy from others' reports. I do appreciate the work he does to get the word out regarding Mammoth conditions and happenings.

Mammoth Snowman has some family issues, which could be the reason he's not minding the store. His wife developed a health condition which forced them to relocate down the hill to Bishop.

We should know that sometimes you just have to live with having an absentee administrator.

Tony Crocker":39iw4d1h said:
We should know that sometimes you just have to live with having an absentee administrator.
Rimshot.

I'll say it again -- I'm grateful that the FTO forum is still online.

jamesdeluxe":1chb4910 said:
Tony Crocker":1chb4910 said:
Rimshot.

I'll say it again -- I'm grateful that the FTO forum is still online.

I second that. I appreciate the no-nonsense reports on this Forum, especially the detailed, balanced ones that Tony C. posts.

I'm going to return to topic here and compliment Mammoth Snowman on his recent report.
As the day heats up any run off the groomed that is getting some skier or boarder traffic has some really good snow as it gets turned up.
Translation: The heat wave is developing suncups. You need to stay in skier packed lines for the smoothest skiing. On June 8 and 10 suncups were not yet a factor. I could ski pretty much anywhere and it was all good based upon aspect and time of day.
Top of the Drop Outs are great, watch out on the lower half later in the am as it gets a bit sticky.
The lower angle aprons below the steeps were also all good on June 8 and 10. When it's really warm that is not so much the case. This development also tends to force people into skier packed lines and moguls for a more supportable subsurface.
The race runs are getting an extra dose of salting so the ski teams that are training have a nice firm surface to ski on for a few hours early morning. Around 10:30 to 11 AM they pull the closures on those runs and the snow is just about perfect. You will find a nice thin layer of silver lined corn snow with a carvable but not too firm surface below.
This is always a good tip for the best groomer skiing. I stuck around for an extra run Monday when I saw the rope drop on the race course about noon. If the racers are bailing by 11AM, that's another sign of the heat this week.
Lift hours are now locked in at 7:30 AM to 2 PM with Chairs 1, 2, 3, 6, 11 and 23 open daily. The lower gondola is also open with the upper gondola set to re open on Saturday.
Chair 5 was running on June 8 and 10 and it is listed as running today on Mammoth's website. I'm guessing this weekend may be the end for chair 5 though 3/4 of its terrain is accessible from the upper gondola and chair 3. Nonetheless losing chair 5 is not a welcome development. Fewer people will ski that terrain so suncups will be widespread soon if it remains this warm.

I'm sure conditions for the time of year are still impressive even if a cut below last weekend.

Anybody ever get to the bottom of this? Prolly something as simple as messages getting lost in translation (to put it nicely LOL).

Present company excluded of course, Facebook people gotta be the dumbest on Earth (even tho I've never had an account, yikes). My friends who do it are always getting their feelings hurt over misunderstandings, and alls ya can do is shake yer head cuz somewhere along the line this was all sposed to be fun. Don't even get me started on those wonderful email forwarders we all used to know...[/SerenityNow]

ShiftyRider":37lk7bjr said:
Anybody ever get to the bottom of this? Prolly something as simple as messages getting lost in translation (to put it nicely LOL). [/SerenityNow]

Not really. I just kept requesting and was eventually allowed access to the MMS Facebook page once again. I've kept my posts very minimal (generally nothing at all other than an occasional like of someone else's post) so as not to offend anyone's hypersensitivity.

I agree re. Facebook. I'm in a small private Facebook group and have only a handful of Facebook friends (literally). I don't even use my real name on FB, which shows you how much I trust Mark Zuckerberg...

Even putting the privacy issues aside, Facebook just doesn't cut it compared to ski forums like this one in terms of quality and detail of ski info posted.

It's really annoying that most of the ski content the admin of this forum posted during last year's stellar Utah ski season was on FB.

Tony Crocker":1hmggdt2 said:
It's really annoying that most of the ski content the admin of this forum posted during last year's stellar Utah ski season was on FB.
Simply because discussion forums are dying off, being replaced by other social media.

Consider that there are a mere 3159 registered users on this site.
Of that, only 13 have more than 1000 posts since 2004 and a mere 2, you and Admin, have more than 10K.

The people who crave the detailed ski reports you like are a tiny, and dwindling, minority.
Also, as seen in other forums that are still surviving, most millennials and younger would rather just ask a question - even one that's been answered 100's of times - than to try and look up the answer from trip report archives. Hell, people won't even read a full FB thread to find an answer or suggestion - they'll just ask again, even if the answer is in that very thread.

Want to see something illuminating? Click on some of the previously well-known names in this list to view their profile and check their last visit date (sort on the number of posts first and get the descending list if necessary):
https://www.firsttracksonline.com/boards/memberlist.php?first_char=&mode=&sk=d&sd=d#memberlist

MarcC":novjpezb said:
The people who crave the detailed ski reports you like are a tiny, and dwindling, minority.
Maybe it's an American thing with Facebook. James regularly sends me links to German Alpinforum that have a comparable amount of narrative and way more photographic content than mine.

It's completely understandable why admin is devoting his efforts to Grand Adventure. He does not have the time for detail ski content anymore. But it's still annoying for him to put his abbreviated ski content on FB, where it gets lost among the mountains of political noise that few of us care to read. Even at the current level of FTO activity, more people who are actually interested in ski content will see it here than on FB.

Back