VIDEO: Grand Targhee, WY - 1/18-20/2020

Yay, nice job. Too bad that there was no fresh snow.

"And our regular viewers have begged us for a little bit of ski content this season!" :lol:

Powder or not, I'm sure Targhee was a good choice for MLK weekend. I was astonished to learn that Targhee does a modest 160K skier visits per season. Admin even got Amy and BobbyD to take this rare excursion from LCC.

Tony Crocker":3k9i5khg said:
Powder or not, I'm sure Targhee was a good choice for MLK weekend.

It was.

Tony Crocker":3k9i5khg said:
Admin even got Amy and BobbyD to take this rare excursion from LCC.

No, Camille did. We were all riding together on Collins when she invited us up. And FWIW, Bobby & Amy have gone to Pebble a couple of times this season already, and they both purchased frequent skier cards at Snowbasin.

jasoncapecod":3k9i5khg said:
really enjoyed the vid..thanks for posting it

Thanks Jason!

Tony Crocker":2mjqjn96 said:
I was astonished to learn that Targhee does a modest 160K skier visits per season.
When I did two press visits there in the mid- and late-00s, I'm pretty sure they were in the mid-100s per season and in the process of adding bed capacity to increase skier days significantly. They have a great product that complements JH (one of the top powder destinations nationwide, excellent early-season conditions, predominantly intermediate lift-served terrain); I wonder why their numbers are so low?

Part of Jackson's growth over the past 20 years is being second to Aspen in number of direct flights. So perhaps not many destination visitors have a car.

Idaho Falls is heavily Mormon, much more so than SLC, so the local ski population base for Targhee is very small.

These reasons are pure speculation on my part.

Of my "top uncrowded list" Targhee is the one with by far the highest national profile. But the numbers match up with the impression when we ski there.

Thanks for the video. It looks like a great place to ski. However many of the chairs were full suggesting it wasn't as uncrowded as one would expect.

sierra_cement":oi2gogh6 said:
It looks like a great place to ski. However many of the chairs were full suggesting it wasn't as uncrowded as one would expect.
GT's topography spreads people across the ridgeline efficiently.

sierra_cement":2sekwhsr said:
Thanks for the video. It looks like a great place to ski. However many of the chairs were full suggesting it wasn't as uncrowded as one would expect.
Yes but there was still not much of a line at the bottom for the only top to bottom lift. And this was a peak holiday, probably as busy as it ever gets.

It's not the 160K visit stat alone that matters. It's 160K visits at a 2,000 acre ski area, which is the quantitative measure of James' point.

The gold standard for elbow room is Castle Mt., which is 40% bigger in vertical and acreage than Targhee with half as many skier visits.

Enjoyable video, Admin.

“Tony Crocker” said:
The gold standard for elbow room is Castle Mt., which is 40% bigger in vertical and acreage than Targhee with half as many skier visits.

How do Red’s numbers compare?

Nice job, Admin.

I was lucky enough to live in Alta, WY a few years ago. Out of all the places I've lived/ridden... Targhee has had the best overall snow quality.

Admin":1kxizdo2 said:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29BYY0wLy4M[/youtube]

I have been showing this video to some friends so we can go on a long trip here in the coming season. If we are going to be working remotely, might as well work from an uncrowded place. If anyone has any contacts here to rent a place for 1 month or more, please let me know.

Targhee has joined the Mountain Collective. I wonder if that will move the needle on skier visits. But all skier visit stats in 2020-21 will be dominated by the elephant in the room.

Wow, Targhee joined the club. With Jackson still on MC , its a no brainer skier visits will rise significantly. As with many resorts joining the "clubs", the good and bad will follow.

Back