Japan 2019/2020

Such a pity for the local businesses that rely on snow season. I believe there have been major cancellations - particularly on Honshu.
This is obviously a very rare occurrence.
It highlights my thoughts that a Japanese ski holiday is pretty one dimensional when it comes to the actual on mountain experience. In Europe and North America it is possible to seek out more advanced terrain and relatively superior scenery if you're unlucky enough to get no fresh snow. I was going to make a comment regarding the unlikeliness of getting wet precipitation in the two continents previously mentioned (because of generally higher elevation) but the situation in France and British Columbia in the last few days has reminded me that rain is possible everywhere at any time of the season.
I'll head back to Japan in the hope of getting a better taste of their famed powder but for my family Europe, Canada and the USA offer a better experience whilst on the hill.

I was in Japan February 2nd-9th ....Kiroro / Niseko - 4 days/ Rising Sun Cats / Heli / Rusutsu

It was absolutely epic and lived up to the Ja-POW reputation. It snowed everyday between 4-18" with some sunny spells - typically mornings. Bases were 250cm / 100 inch.

Gates at Niseko allowed for face-shot powder on most days.

Now I have time to post given Corona melt down.

Back