Tracking Skiing Stats

vanhanbr

How is everyone tracking their individual ski stats (mostly concerned with vert. ft.) ? I realize epic can track with a pass, but what about the other resorts? GPS Logger, phone app?

Thanks

Thanks, I downloaded ski tracks a while back but never used it. I think I will make the effort to log all my ski days next year.

This question was also asked and subject discussed in the 1st reply to post at viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14161 SkiTracks is too hard on my iPhone battery to make it through the day, especially at areas with spotty cell coverage and if I'm listening to music, texting and taking pictures.

tseeb":19tigd0b said:
This question was also asked and subject discussed in the 1st reply to post at viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14161" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; SkiTracks is too hard on my iPhone battery to make it through the day, especially at areas with spotty cell coverage and if I'm listening to music, texting and taking pictures.
That odd. I've never had an issue if I start the day with a full battery. And it doesn't require WiFi or cellular to track your runs, so you can always put it in airplane mode and turn off wifi to further conserve battery. I also usually have a tiny power pack in my pack that can charge the phone twice-ish.

Airplane mode is probably a good idea if you want to prioritize the ski tracking. Ski areas sometimes have holes in cell coverage. When they do, the phone chews up a lot of battery trying to find a signal.

Airplane mode doesn't work for me while skiing as I usually want to be able to receive calls, assuming I'm not in Canada where Verizon charges me $5 for every 24 hr. period if I take my phone out of airplane mode. I've never understood how some people that I was trying to connect with on the hill had their phones in airplane mode or turned off unless they were trying to conserve battery.

While looking for something else, I ran into Staley's 81K day at Mammoth. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10197 My highest lifetime is 45K+ at Bachelor. See viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11724

I think Northstar's Backside, with ~6 min ride for 1846' vertical on an uncrowded weekday could be good for a big day although it stops a lot. If you got to the top by 9 (they open at 8:30) and skied until 4 with 10 minute laps and add on the 2200' vertical return you are almost at 80K. Even 12 minute laps would give you almost 67K. But when I look at EpicMix numbers from my one day at Northstar this season, my fastest lap was 16 minutes. If you ran at that pace all day, you get over 50,650 adding in the 2200' vertical return to base.

tseeb":1kk0557r said:
Airplane mode doesn't work for me while skiing as I usually want to be able to receive calls...
One more reason it's better to use a watch than a phone.

tseeb":1kk0557r said:
My highest lifetime is 45K+ at Bachelor. See viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11724
I'm surprised at that, given my record 50,480 at Bachelor in 2012: http://bestsnow.net/TRsFTO/20120407Bachelor.html

In my experience I consider Mt. Bachelor second only to Sun Valley for a layout most conducive to racking up vertical. I have two more days there over 40K:
http://bestsnow.net/TRsFTO/20000407Bachelor.html
http://bestsnow.net/TRsFTO/20070415Bachelor.html

Tseeb could ski 60+K at Bachelor IMHO without working hard at all.

On April 27, 2015 I skied a few runs with Bob Seto: http://www.firsttracksonline.com/boards ... hp?t=11811
Bob is atop the lifetime EpicMix leaderboard: https://www.epicmix.com/Leaderboard.aspx
Bob also was the leader for 5 consecutive seasons 2015-2019. He has a few days over 100K, all at Keystone which has a 12-hour ski day with night skiing. Bob Seto record highs by resort:
Keystone: 117,253
Beaver Creek: 85,112
Park City: 75,516
Breckenridge: 70,413
Vail: 68,537
Northstar: 64,234
Whistler/Blackcomb: 62,555
Heavenly: 46,203
Kirkwood: 43,071

Tony Crocker":i2p12bb3 said:
In my experience I consider Mt. Bachelor second only to Sun Valley for a layout most conducive to racking up vertical.
What makes these mountains more conducive than others? Not too many flat areas?

Tony Crocker":i2p12bb3 said:
On April 27, 2015 I skied a few runs with Bob Seto: http://www.firsttracksonline.com/boards ... hp?t=11811" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bob is atop the lifetime EpicMix leaderboard: https://www.epicmix.com/Leaderboard.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bob also was the leader for 5 consecutive seasons 2015-2019. He has a few days over 100K, all at Keystone which has a 12-hour ski day with night skiing. Bob Seto record highs by resort:
I looked up and read about this guy. What an amazing character.
https://www.summitdaily.com/sports/bob- ... this-year/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJQHZ0d4aes
In this video, he says he works out every morning and uses skins as well.

In Bob Seto's daily log there are a bunch of days, mainly in spring, where he skied Beaver Creek, Vail, Breck and Keystone in the same day. I figured there must be some point reward for that.
https://www.epicmix.com/EpicMix-Pin-det ... pinid=1605
Not so easy now that Crested Butte is added to the list.

Bob also has a couple of days where he skied the 4 Colorado mountains PLUS Heavenly and Northstar on the same day.

sierra_cement":c74fhvxa said:
What makes these mountains more conducive than others? Not too many flat areas?
High speed lifts with lots of vertical plus continuous and easily accessible fall lines. You don't want flat but you also don't want much technical terrain requiring you to pause to map out your line. And minimize traverses, runouts and hike-to terrain. Just think the opposite of Alta. :stir:

Keystone is a flatter than average mountain but checks all of the other boxes for maximizing vertical. But Sun Valley is the champ IMHO. I know that 100K can be done there during normal daytime operating hours.

Tony Crocker":2yzl60w9 said:
Bob also has a couple of days where he skied the 4 Colorado mountains PLUS Heavenly and Northstar on the same day.
How do you do that? That's one of the craziest things a skier can do. Does he write any trip reports?

Bob is a pilot, but still seems like it would be hard to do more than a run at each of the 4 CO places PLUS Heavenly and Northstar on the same day. That would require a fast plane from Eagle to Truckee and somebody to drive you between ski areas and airports (or at least be waiting with a car) at both ends.

That tops my two days last year when I skied Heavenly 15K and Mammoth 9K, then Mammoth 12K and Heavenly 7K, both on the same day, two days apart in late April.

I also may have gotten the first Tahoe Triple in 2015 skiing Kirkwood, Heavenly and Northstar on same day. See viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11710

Yes, I think we can presume Bob Seto flies privately from Eagle to other places. In 2015 he skied all 4 Colorado areas every day from March 21-27 and April 1-12.
On March 28 he skied 40,275 at Breck, 10,831 at the other 3 Colorado areas and 926 at Park City, total 52,032.
On March 29 he skied 40,186 at Park City, then 13,392 at the 4 Colorado areas, total 53,578. So two 5 area days.

But April 6-8, 2019 set a higher bar:
April 6: 7,628 Heavenly, 574 Northstar, 11,010 Breck, 1,593 Vail, 906 Beaver Creek, 40,267 Keystone. 6 areas, 61,978
April 7: 631 Breck, 1,593 Vail, 906 Beaver Creek, 40,694 Keystone, 574 Northstar, 10,798 Heavenly, 747 Kirkwood. 7 areas, 55,943
April 8: 574 Northstar, 1,593 Vail, 906 Beaver Creek, 2,298 Keystone, 40,351 Breck. Only 5 areas, 45,722
Bob remained in California April 9-13, skiing all 3 areas 3 of those days. He skied all 4 in Colorado April 14.

James is likely to chime in here about how many places one might ski in the Alps in one day. Boundaries in the Alps are blurry in some of the interconnected complexes. I've probably skied 3 in one day in the Arlberg and possibly 4 in one day in the Dolomites.

For those that didn't look at my link above when I skied all 3 Tahoe Vail area on the same day, I had 8.5K at Kirkwood, 7.5K at Heavenly and 13.5 at Northstar for a total of 29.5K. My next two days at Northstar were 34K and 31K.

I looked at EpicMix where I assume Tony Crocker got details on Bob Seto's days where he skied multiple area (and states). I saw the 5th highest points for 2019-20 was Mark E. who exclusively skis Heavenly and skied 3.4M vertical over 77 days (44K average). He had the following days during 'Zoo' week:
12/26/19 55K
12/27 68K
12/28 75K (a Saturday and my son's birthday)
12/29 72.5K
12/30 58K
12/31 71K

The next highest in points who skied exclusively at Heavenly was 1.257M over 51 days (and no. 11 in points). There also was a lady at Northstar who had 2.058M over 83 days and was no. 20 in points. She had many days where she skied around 34K, then skied 42.9K on 3/10. Hopefully she did not pay way more than her pass cost by paying $10-20+/day for parking that did not require a shuttle. It would be interesting to see lift details on some of these EpicMix leaders.

If East Bowl is open and groomed you could rack up a lot of vertical on the Gunbarrel chair. Otherwise, I don't see how you can get 70K on Dec. 27-29 given lift lines and slope congestion on Heavenly's upper mountain.

I have a 44,500 day at Mammoth in December, but it was Dec. 18, 2004.

Are you saying EpicMix is wrong? I'm wondering if some of the really high numbers come from people who make sure to get counted by both lifts in places like base of Canyon/Sky chairs and Comet/Dipper chairs. But maybe EpicMix is smart enough to not count different lifts less than 5 minutes apart. I've seen it add a lift when I ski past the lift base without riding it, although much more often EpicMix seems to miss counting my lifts a (which could be because my phone is too close to my pass)

Stagecoach is almost 1500 vertical and 6 min ride and not usually not crowded after opening rush which is usually over in a few minutes, although not that steep and can have a lot of slow traffic. If you did 10 min laps from 8:30-4 that would be 67K. Maybe he knows somebody and gets early rides. I rode Stagecoach at opening on a powder day with somebody who have already been up with patrol.

Sky chair would be a little more efficient, especially is Ellie's is well-covered and groomed, but has lines most of the day. Gunbarrel chair is most efficient with vertical just under 1600' and ride under 4 min, but would be tough for most of us to ski fast all day unless East Bowl was groomed and lowest return from there adds some time and traffic. During Gunbarrel 25 in 2019 somebody skied 46 laps (73K) last year and that is bumps. See https://www.skisignup.com/Race/Results/ ... erpage:100

I came up with a scenario for Bob Seto to ski 4 Vail areas in CO and 3 in CA without a helicopter, but it would require a plane that can fly from Eagle to Truckee in 2 hrs (really only one hr due to time change). Start at Breckenridge at 8:30, ski one run (14 min) and drive (26 min) to Keystone arrive 9:10, ski one run (7 min), drive (43 min) to Vail arrive 10, ski one run (12 min) and drive (18 min) to Beaver Creek arrive 10:30 ski one run (18 min) and drive (32 min) to Eagle airport and take off at 11:30. Arrive Truckee at 12:30, drive to Northstar (13 min) and ski until 1. You'd have 2 hours left for driving and 1 hour for skiing before Kirkwood lifts close at 4. Chair 7 is a little closer to Hwy than Kirkwood's main base and I've seen it run later than 4.

But that is only one quick run at each area, not the 40.7K at Keystone and 10.6K at Heavenly Bob got on 4/7/19. To do that, I think requires a heli to get you from Heavenly to Kirkwood and to standby for the one run on chair 5 there then get you to Northstar (and probaby to Truckee airport). A quick thought on timings would be Heavenly 830-930, Kirkwood 940-950 Northstar 1005-1020, Truckee-Eagle 1030-1330 1Beaver Creek 1400-1415 Vail 1430-1445 Breckenridge 1530-1545 Keystone 1610-2000. While the 15 mins at each area to get to and ride and ski a lift and return to your ride and times between areas are both very short, it is possible.

On both April 6&7 Bob had over 40K at Keystone. At least one if not both of those days he gets those extra 4 hours Keystone is open for night skiing. If Bob flew from CO to CA at night on April 6 to arrange to finish both April 6&7 at Keystone, that's a final touch of dedication.

I think we can presume April 8 started in Colorado and finished in California:
1) April 9 was all in California.
2) April 8 had less vertical than April 6 or 7 and the 40K area was Breck.

I didn't try to map out a day at Heavenly, but I knew Gunbarrel was the most efficient chair and that sometimes East Bowl is groomed. I also find it hard to believe one could avoid lift lines on Sky/Dipper Dec. 27-29. None of this means the whole day was on Gunbarrel, but I would think at least half the day was, logically the first half with fresh grooming.

The lap leader in the Gunbarrel 25 did his 73K in 6 hrs and 5 minutes. The same guy did his first 25 laps (39.7K) in under 3 hrs and 15 min. See https://d368g9lw5ileu7.cloudfront.net/r ... dd9w0f.pdf And somebody who was 64 last year did 25 laps in under 3 hrs and 35 min and quit with 26 laps. Lifts run 7.5 hrs on weekends and holidays and during early up (first Mondays of month this year) for passholders.

I wasn't saying the guy who had 70+K days during 'Zoo' week skied upper 1/3 of mountain at Heavenly (although I have been able to get 7 laps and close to 10K on Sky chair by about 10 AM. I was just wondering if it was possible to double up lift count and almost double up vertical counts by gaming the systems on upper 1/3 in both CA and NV where lifts are close enough to go by sensor for one, then go up other. I'll have to try it.

From my December reports: East Bowl opened on Fri 12/27. Lower Gunbarrel opened 12/29, but not Upper. On 1/1, I reported "Face was very smooth, except for bumped-out entrance, either from lack of traffic or grooming. On Gunbarrel and a lot of lower and mid-level CA, snow was thin."

Back