Grand Targhee

Snowing heavily at Grand Targhee today (11/10/20). Already looks like fairly good coverage down to the base. From what I can see on the web cams, people are skinning up the trails and skiing down.

The Tetons have had a big week with 3 feet at Jackson and 4 at Targhee. Targhee's season snowfall of 76 inches is closing in on Wolf Creek's 79 for the US lead.

Targhee is very consistent. It averages 70% open on Dec. 1 and 95% open Dec. 15. I'd expect close to that 70% on opening day Nov. 20.

Probably my best opening day ever (anywhere) was at Targhee in 2013. Blue bird, and deep powder. I don't remember the snowfall numbers from then, but it sounds like it could be similar this year.

GT opened today! They're reporting 58 of 97 trails open with variable, early season conditions (I don't know what percentage of skiable terrain that represents). From the web cams, the base area looks to be quite crowded (I believe you had to pre-reserve your tickets). Interesting, I looked at the web cam at the top of the mountain where the main chair lift ends. Apparently, they are allowing 4 people at a time on the quad chair but it looks like it must only 4 people of the same group because most of the chairs had only 2 or 3 people on each chair?

We can ask Tony to run a Monte Carlo simulation or something. If a chair has 4 seats what percent will have...

4 riders
0*

...so obviously lodging cohabitants will be 1, 2, 3, or 4-person groups. My guess on rules would be...

4-person: always their own chair
3: always their own chair
2: always their own chair except if a single is directly in front of them in which case...
1: half the time the single will feel self-conscious and invite from behind but only if it's a 2-person group
(or always if it's another single -- so maybe better to still have a singles line hmmm)

= what is the overall lift CAPACITY degradation?

* the 0 will depend on the incompetence of the lift crew so for example 0% empty at Mammoth Chair 1 and ~30% empty at Mammoth Chair 2 LOL.

P.S. I like to ride in the middle scooting in last minute, when 4 snowboarders stand together on the "Wait Here" bar but have conspired to take 2 chairs for themselves. I shall refrain during the germs, but it used to be ya got 1 point for the move, 5 points for the middle, and 25 if you're quick enough to get 1st chair instead of 2nd...

I had 5 lift served days after March 14, always riding single at China Peak and Baldy and with my friend Paul at A-Basin.

People were from all I could see riding lifts single or with their own party. I would expect this to be the case at low density areas like Targhee. The real question is what happens when enough people show up to create significant lift lines.

We skiers tend to be impatient. The best way to avoid that lift line and chair overloading scenario is to avoid the areas and dates where they are most likely to occur. I realize that's easier for us retirees than for many people.

GT has now opened all their lifts and is reporting 94 of 97 trails open - almost 100% of their skiable terrain. I'm sure there are some thin spots and sketchy areas but they may have the most open terrain of any area in the US?

Yes, Targhee is bigger than 98% open Wolf Creek and 100% open Mt. Baker.

Some areas are liberal about opening terrain in low tide conditions. So it's useful to check base depths for those places and know how much base is needed. Wolf Creek is one of the liberal places, but its 4-foot base tells me the 98% open is legit vs. other places. Targhee and Crystal (reported 88% open) both report a 41 inch base, but Crystal is a very steep mountain, so I'll bet there area lot more obstacles at Crystal.

Other places with noted liberal openings besides Wolf Creek and Crystal are Bridger Bowl and Red Mt. The latter 3 areas are rugged enough that I like to see a 5+ foot base.

JH has now opened the tram (but with limited capacity). Not sure how much of the "tram terrain" will be open right away but they are getting heavy snow today and, from the webcams (not always a good indicator, I know), it looks like, more or less, mid-Winter conditions. With Targhee almost 100% open, the JH/Targhee combo may have some of the best conditions in the country right now.

Back