New Alps Guidebook Looks Tempting

Resort and backcountry skiing and snowboarding in Europe and Asia, including our famous reader-submitted No-Bull Snow Reports.

New Alps Guidebook Looks Tempting

Postby Tony Crocker » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:05 pm

http://bestsnow.net
Ski Records
Season length: 21 months, Nov. 29, 2010 - July 2, 2012
Days in one year: 80 from Nov. 29, 2010 - Nov. 17, 2011
Season vertical: 1,610K in 2016-17
Season powder: 291K in 2011-12
Tony Crocker

Re: New Alps Guidebook Looks Tempting

Postby jamesdeluxe » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:20 am

Looks like a potential corrective/expansion to the Where To Ski and Snowboard Worldwide series, which was worthwhile but aimed at a primarily casual British audience equally concerned with high-speed lifts, piste length, lodging, restaurants, ease of access, et al. I haven't seen the new country-specific editions, which may be more helpful to people like us.

Are you going to order one? I'm curious to see if they cover any of the obscure joints that I've visited or if it'll be a detailed powder-specific best-of with the usual suspects that we're already aware of, which would still be of value to me.
jamesdeluxe

Postby Tony Crocker » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:54 pm

Yes we ordered one. It covers 125+ areas so should include some less famous places. But in response to a question:
It consist mostly of resort and side-resort riding. Not much splitboarding/skitouring included.

I think it's likely the info here will be useful to skiers like James and me.

Where To Ski and Snowboard and Weather-to-Ski are aimed at the same overall audience (British piste skiers), with Fraser Wilkins at the latter having more of a weather/conditions focus.

Someone (Staley perhaps) told me about WePowder before last year's Alps trip. WePowder is more like OpenSnow, a weather forecasting site, usually updated daily and generally including discussions of snow stability, always a good heads-up in the Alps. So a Resort Guide book is new for them.

Both Fraser and WePowder have noted widespread snow in the Alps (mostly from the south) during the first half of November.
Ski Records
Tony Crocker

Postby jamesdeluxe » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:54 pm

Tony Crocker wrote:Both Fraser and WePowder have noted widespread snow in the Alps (mostly from the south) during the first half of November.

Yes, here's a short clip three days ago from the two first stops on my 2018 Maritime Alps trip, Isola and Auron, an hour north of Nice:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xULS_YEypQU
jamesdeluxe

Postby Staley » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:22 am

I think I may have mentioned WePowder last year, and in any case, I’m hoping to pick up the book this year. I suspect it’ll be useful to have for my trip that begins Jan 1st, but Morris from WePowder indicates it won’t arrive in the US by then. So I’m looking into getting it shipped to some location in Europe where I can pick it up on the first day of the trip.

Thus far, there has been a huge amount of snow in the southern Alps. Serre Chevalier/Southern French Alps, Alagna and the Italian Piedmont, Andermatt, Zermatt, the Dolomites, and Sudtirol in Austria look pretty much good to go for the season. The Pyrenees have had deep powder days for the past week.

I had previously pretty much written off the Dolomites as an off piste option for early January, but will now look into whether the various couloirs are in play early in the season. I’m hoping to focus more on Italy, Austria, and France over Switzerland because mountain guides are so much cheaper.
Staley

Postby Tony Crocker » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:45 pm

Whether the current base is survivable to early January in the absence of continuing snow is debatable. The snow will survive the best at high north facing areas like Zermatt, St. Moritz, Andermatt. Also Val d'Isere/Tignes, which often gets snow from these southern storms spilling over from Italy as occurred on my trip there in April 2018. Three years ago the Arlberg had an early November dump but there was zero snow on the ground at New Year's below 2,200 meters, which meant that when the snow finally resumed it was extremely dangerous above 2,200 so the backside Valluga was closed when we were there.

Very few areas are opening immediately from these storms, so it will be best to follow Fraser and WePowder closely when they do. Staley should also be making direct calls to guide services in late December to find out what off pistes routes are being guided. We won't be in the Alps until March 18 this season, so this early activity is much less relevant to us.
Ski Records
Tony Crocker

Return to Europe & Asia