First Indoor Skiing in North America - Big Snow

Nobody is going to invest money in something expected to be an alternative 30 years from now. The developers hope there is current demand for indoor skiing.

Where is indoor skiing most successful now? I think mainly in Euro ski markets that are not easy driving distance to the Alps, such as England, northern Germany, the Low Countries. My guess is that usage comes from beginners and some people practicing for their one week vacation in the Alps.

EMSC and James' references above comment that indoor is not so different from some places in the Midwest or Southeast and often more pleasant considering crowds, weather and surface conditions. There are times it will be more pleasant than Mountain Creek, the Poconos or the Catskills too. As with other "molehills," I think terrain parks may be a big attraction. I'm guessing it's still too short for much in the way of racing.

If I were picking a location for indoor skiing in the US, I'd choose a big metro area far from real skiing like Dallas or Atlanta. OTOH NYC is by far the biggest metro area, so only a tiny slice of its residents would be enough to make Big Snow successful.

Yea, I'm guessing this is more in the "novelty" genre than any serious attempt to make money from indoor skiing (and a way to get more people into the mall). I'd bet there will be quite a few "never-evers"- teenagers, etc. who will show up on a Friday night to see what it is like to TRY to ski or snowboard. I couldn't tell from the photos in the story what sort of protective cushioning they have along the sides of the"slope" or how long a run-out they have at the bottom. But I could see a LOT of collisions and accidents happening there. A true WROD!

Tickets are good for two hours and times start/end every 15 minutes with a ticket limit. If that ticket limit is reasonable I predict lower skier density than on the busiest trails at Mt. High West or Hunter on a weekend.

It has belatedly occurred to me that with the advent of Big SNOW, Patrick's ski streak now has a fail safe backup plan for the tough months.

Wait till Patrick's wife finds out. No more south America for him, lol.

He might even get a local cabbie in NJ to steal all his stuff to make it feel even more like his trips to south america (only half joking).

EMSC":373ill5w said:
Wait till Patrick's wife finds out. No more south America for him, lol.

How ironic... I guess this made sense prior to the pandemic. :shock:

Actually when I started my ski streak I thought to myself that a drivable indoor ski destination could be use in case of emergency. New Jersey ex-Xanadu i.e.. Big Snow was slatted to open in Fall 2008. :p

EMSC":373ill5w said:
He might even get a local cabbie in NJ to steal all his stuff to make it feel even more like his trips to south america (only half joking).

Not sure if I should laugh or cry?

Ski streak is still alive. I got my November, next comes December.

It was one week short of 8 months if lift served skiing when I went skiing at St-Sauveur back on November 7. Definitely the longer period I've spent without crossing a border since the early 1980s and plane in 16 years. On a non-skiing note, I've never gone this long without seeing live music since my first concert when I was 12 back to that Kiss Love Gun's tour in 1977.

Patrick":sm47w5fo said:
On a non-skiing note, I've never gone this long without seeing live music since my first concert when I was 12 back to that Kiss Love Gun's tour in 1977.
Liz' last live music event was John Waite in Clearwater last Feb. 28. Her goal is being smushed against other people and the musicians in a small, poorly ventilated jazz club.

In my case, I've been a Dodger season ticket holder since 1979 but did not attend any of the first winning World Series since 1988. Adam discouraged me from going to Texas. He was right. Lonnie knew a father and son who went and both got Covid.

These activities are not happening until we are vaccinated. Audiences yelling and screaming don't work even if they are spaced a couple of rows apart. See Trump rallies as Exhibit A. :stir:

Back