Ski History

Topics of a general nature regarding snowsports, which don't easily fit into one of our other Liftlines categories. This is also the place to post Letters to the Editor.

Ski History

Postby EMSC » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:48 am

Thought it might be fun to throw up some personal ski history items from back when the dinosaurs roamed. While I had season passes prior to this, this is the earliest one of mine that got saved at some point. I'm sure I'll toss out a few pics or other ancient items over the summer in this thread.

scan0001-blur.jpg
EMSC

Re: Ski History

Postby jamesdeluxe » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:43 am

Love that old-school logo. A huge mistake that they "updated" it.
jamesdeluxe

Postby EMSC » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:59 am

PICT0042.JPG
It helps to have a steep front yard when you learn to ski

PICT0048.JPG
This ski area is long since 'lost' (the Addison Pinnacle). Oh how easy it is to learn today with detach quads vs a shockingly steep bunny hill with a rope tow you can barely lift. It also helps when your parents buy you the worst, coldest gloves in history to save money since they will last longer from being ripped apart by said rope tow.
EMSC

Postby jamesdeluxe » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:01 pm

Horseheads?

I played hockey as a kid. Skiing was for rich brats whose parents took them on trips to exotic Killington.
jamesdeluxe

Postby Tony Crocker » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:28 pm

Doesn't hockey require access to an indoor rink unless you live in Minnesota or upper New England? Plus a lot of specialized gear like skiing? I think it's an upper middle class sport in most of the U.S. As opposed to Canada where you can make your own rink in your backyard.

As for skiing, there is no substitute for starting as a kid like EMSC and Patrick and getting some good technical training along the way. Those of us who started as adults rarely close the gap.
http://bestsnow.net
Ski Records
Season length: 21 months, Nov. 29, 2010 - July 2, 2012
Days in one year: 80 from Nov. 29, 2010 - Nov. 17, 2011
Season vertical: 1,610K in 2016-17
Season powder: 291K in 2011-12
Tony Crocker

Postby EMSC » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:21 pm

jamesdeluxe wrote:Love that old-school logo. A huge mistake that they "updated" it.

Definitely agree on this. The old logo/font was spectacular IMHO.

jamesdeluxe wrote:Horseheads?

Yep.That would be a west facing slope.

Tony Crocker wrote:Doesn't hockey require access to an indoor rink unless you live in Minnesota or upper New England? Plus a lot of specialized gear like skiing? I think it's an upper middle class sport in most of the U.S. As opposed to Canada where you can make your own rink in your backyard.

I'm going with Tony on this one. Rink time is outrageously priced now-a-days. Plus skiing back when I was learning was much more middle class than today. Everything was dramatically cheaper in inflationary terms (gear, tickets, motels if you traveled). Of course the snowmaking stunk, the lifts were slow, the grooming was mediocre, the motels were paper thin and cold(at least where we stayed), etc...
EMSC

Return to General Discussion