On The Snow website to finish.

Topics of a general nature regarding snowsports, which don't easily fit into one of our other Liftlines categories. This is also the place to post Letters to the Editor.

Moderator: Tony Crocker

On The Snow website to finish.

Postby Sbooker » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:05 pm

https://www.onthesnow.com/news/a/637450 ... ly-13-2020

Pity. I found it to be good for reference.
Sbooker

Re: On The Snow website to finish.

Postby Tony Crocker » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:14 pm

Deja vu with the demise of the Epic Ski Forum in May 2017, and with the same assassin!
That would be Vail. Mountain News Corp is/was a wholly owned subsidiary of Vail Resorts. When Vail bought the Epic Forum in 2012 for its URL, it was put under the umbrella of Mountain News Corp, where it survived 3 more years under benign neglect. But when Epic Forum's software platform lost support, Vail wasn't willing to spend the $$$ to migrate it to a new platform and thus killed it.

OnTheSnow did have useful information. It collected daily snowfall on an automated basis and was useful in that regard in-season if direct reporting from a ski area was missing.

Obviously in the current environment, Vail is looking to slash costs, particularly those without a direct contribution to the bottom line. So a general ski news outlet is an unfortunate casualty. But there's some karma here. No one at Mountain News Corp lifted a finger to save the Epic Ski Forum or even its archives.

I don't know what "skiinfo" is. I'm quite sure it has nothing to do with the extremely comprehensive skiresort.info, which James and I used to expand the Worldwide Ski Map Google Earth file.
http://bestsnow.net
Ski Records
Season length: 21 months, Nov. 29, 2010 - July 2, 2012
Days in one year: 80 from Nov. 29, 2010 - Nov. 17, 2011
Season vertical: 1,610K in 2016-17
Season powder: 291K in 2011-12
Tony Crocker

Re: On The Snow website to finish.

Postby Sbooker » Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:10 pm

Tony Crocker wrote:Deja vu with the demise of the Epic Ski Forum in May 2017, and with the same assassin!
That would be Vail. Mountain News Corp is/was a wholly owned subsidiary of Vail Resorts. When Vail bought the Epic Forum in 2012 for its URL, it was put under the umbrella of Mountain News Corp, where it survived 3 more years under benign neglect. But when Epic Forum's software platform lost support, Vail wasn't willing to spend the $$$ to migrate it to a new platform and thus killed it.

OnTheSnow did have useful information. It collected daily snowfall on an automated basis and was useful in that regard in-season if direct reporting from a ski area was missing.

Obviously in the current environment, Vail is looking to slash costs, particularly those without a direct contribution to the bottom line. So a general ski news outlet is an unfortunate casualty. But there's some karma here. No one at Mountain News Corp lifted a finger to save the Epic Ski Forum or even its archives.

I don't know what "skiinfo" is. I'm quite sure it has nothing to do with the extremely comprehensive skiresort.info, which James and I used to expand the Worldwide Ski Map Google Earth file.

I had no idea Vail was anyway involved in that site.
That reinforces my decision to boycott Vail owned ski hills.*

*Until the next time I want to ski at Whistler. :lol:
Sbooker

Return to General Discussion