White Pass, WA, Feb. 23, 2021

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
We skied White Pass today. The drive up was delayed half an hour by an overturned truck in the snow. It snowed lightly most of the day with light fog and wind. After 2PM it snowed harder, wind closed the Couloir lift and the fog covered the whole mountain. There was 2 feet new snow but most of it was thick and windpacked.

The Couloir lift (added sometime after my previous visit in 1985) serves mellow intermediate terrain, fairly open at the top with spaced trees below. We took 6 runs there and figured out that the scattered trees below Out of the Lupin collected the new snow with least wind effect. So that's where I took most pictures in view of the weather.
IMG_8905.JPG

IMG_8908.JPG

IMG_8910.JPG

IMG_8918a.JPG

IMG_8924.JPG

The lower liftline of the Couloir chair was also sheltered from the wind. There was little skier traffic over most of the area served by that lift. We took a thaw break in the High Camp Lodge, which was roped off inside much like Alta and Snowbird, so we surreptitiously rested in the hallway outside the restroom. We then skied Main St. to the base.

Back in the original area I skied some chopped powder in intermittently steep terrain, starting with Mach V to Hourglass. As the snow was heavier lower down Liz quit as we may be skiing the next 9 days. I skied 3 more sectors off that chair: Holicade to Holiday Cliff, Rollercoaster, and Paradise to Main St. View about halfway down a deserted Rollercoaster:
IMG_8925.JPG

As Chair 4 was not running on a relatively quiet midweek day, its blue runs were almost untracked at 3PM. However the weather had deteriorated so much by then I decided to quit with our next day being a long one, both skiing and relocating.

I skied 13,400 vertical, about 5K of powder.

Good to see you using the Powder Alliance pass to ski somewhere you haven't been in 35 years. I'll be interested to see at the end of the season how many days you compiled through PA and the Indy Pass.

Back