The Future of FTO

Topics of a general nature regarding snowsports, which don't easily fit into one of our other Liftlines categories. This is also the place to post Letters to the Editor.

Moderator: Tony Crocker

The Future of FTO

Postby Marc_C » Fri May 07, 2021 10:10 am

So what do the few remaining posters here think?
Time to transfer to a new owner or just simply pull the plug?
It's only a matter of time.
-marc
Marc_C

Re: The Future of FTO

Postby jamesdeluxe » Fri May 07, 2021 8:54 pm

I thought that the succession plan is already in place?
jamesdeluxe

Postby Tony Crocker » Sat May 08, 2021 9:22 am

James and I had offline discussions with admin a year ago. There’s essentially zero marginal $ cost in maintaining FTO as it’s on the same server as Grand Adventure. The latter surely consumes most of the bandwidth with a new video every week.

If FTO fails it will likely be due to irreparable damage to the phpBB software.

As this ski season wraps up, it’s a good idea to back up any TRs/posts you want to save.
http://bestsnow.net
Ski Records
Season length: 21 months, Nov. 29, 2010 - July 2, 2012
Days in one year: 80 from Nov. 29, 2010 - Nov. 17, 2011
Season vertical: 1,610K in 2016-17
Season powder: 291K in 2011-12
Tony Crocker

Postby jamesdeluxe » Sat May 08, 2021 12:39 pm

Tony Crocker wrote:it’s a good idea to back up any TRs/posts you want to save.

Took me a couple months to do, but I backed up all my FTO TRs to NY Ski Forum -- of course, I didn't copy other members' follow-up comments that followed each TR but so it goes. Harv's site is now on XenForo, likely to be the last hardware left standing. He's pledged that his forum will exist as long as he's alive and I believe him.
jamesdeluxe

Postby q » Mon May 10, 2021 1:39 am

Man I hope this doesn't disappear. It's probably the only forum that I actively participate on as the resorts visited by many are places I have either been to or want to go to in the PNW primarily.

The only other forum I check in on is the Big Sky and Snowbowl threads on TGR but I don't post as it seems to be a bit of a weed smoking clique on that platform.
Q
q

Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - Avatar: Primer Bowl, Loveland, CO

Postby jamesdeluxe » Mon May 10, 2021 5:09 am

q wrote:Man I hope this doesn't disappear. It's probably the only forum that I actively participate on as the resorts visited by many are places I have either been to or want to go to in the PNW primarily.

There aren't many of us left but we all seem to have a similar opinion -- that the quality of info/discussion here is worth keeping; however, I'm sure that the dodo bird felt the same way about its relative value.
jamesdeluxe

Postby Sbooker » Mon May 10, 2021 10:53 pm

q wrote:Man I hope this doesn't disappear. It's probably the only forum that I actively participate on as the resorts visited by many are places I have either been to or want to go to in the PNW primarily.

The only other forum I check in on is the Big Sky and Snowbowl threads on TGR but I don't post as it seems to be a bit of a weed smoking clique on that platform.

I second this. This is the best place for me to actually get a report about skiing (as opposed to holiday reports with some skiing). The reports are also from posters who report from the ski hills I’m interested in.
It’s a nice diversion while my sanity is being tested. It could be a while before I can actually travel to ski.
Sbooker

Return to General Discussion