2008-09 Ski Day Count

I'm at 87 days and it doesn't look too good for more at this point. Out of town travel during the season that totaled nearly weeks definitely cut my number of days on the snow.

The vast majority of days were at Alta and Snowbird. I also got in a day each at Snowbasin, Brighton, and Solitude when I spent some time with a couple of east coast guests.

I may be done. If not just one more morning in June, mostly doing other things if I go back to Mammoth.

Area Days Vertical Powder
Mt. Baldy 3 65.8 13
Mt. Waterman 1 11.3 8
Mammoth 15 358.5 19
Snow Summit 0.5 13.5 0
Bear Mt. 0.5 8.4 0
Park City 1 24 0
Snowbird 7.5 144.5 20
Alta 2.5 55.6 10
Deer Valley 1 22.8 0
Snow Basin 2 46.6 0
Apex Alpine 1 21 0
Kicking Horse 1 18.4 1
Chatter Creek Snowcat 4 35.8 33
*Revelstoke 3 67.1 0
*Eagle Pass Heli 1 23.5 21
*Lutsen 1 13.8 0

* = new area

45 days is the most for one season in the Northern Hemisphere. 2004-05 and 2006-07 had more days but 7 of each were in the Southern Hemisphere. Same for the 930K vertical. 2006-07 was my most travel intensive season. 2004-05 and this year were more due to early starts in both Mammoth and SoCal.

The heli day was the best of the season (cooperative weather, so good terrain variety) but deepest powder was March 10 at Alta. Due to storm timing and terrain openings the powder skiing from that Utah storm was distributed over 3 days. Most of the shortfall in powder vs. recent years was due to no lift served powder on my Canadian trip.

Edited June 14 to include that last morning at Mammoth. TC

Tony Crocker":gz4jpdbc said:
Most of the shortfall in powder vs. recent years was due to no lift served powder on my Canadian trip.

With the rest due to under-reporting of your powder quotient at Alta. :brick:

With the rest due to under-reporting of your powder quotient at Alta.
My standards of defining powder my be strict but they are consistent, so season-to-season comparisons are valid. We've :dead horse: before. FYI when I ask Adam about his ski days, I usually have to increase his powder estimates to be comparable to mine.
Just send an easterner down. If it's refrozen death crunch, they'll think they're back home....But you have the risk of them calling it a powder day. Those guys will call anything powder.
I know I have to multiply Patrick's by ~70% to compare. :brick:

Just send an easterner down. If it's refrozen death crunch, they'll think they're back home....But you have the risk of them calling it a powder day. Those guys will call anything powder.

I've never exaggerated conditions or terrain. I call it like it is. :sabre fight: When the catskiing conditions were iffy at Arpa, I told Tony the snow conditions sucked.

Tony Crocker":rh3yn99s said:
I know I have to multiply Patrick's by ~70% to compare. :brick:

Total ... :bs: When you asked me the numbers last year, I did a very good estimate (hard for you to know, you weren't there). I gave you total numbers slightly exaggerated for some days and didn't even count on the low % powder days.

Okay...after the discussion on Fly West Drive East...here are my "to-date" numbers.

44: total days so far (56 at the end of last May)
12 nights (10 last year)

Cascades QC (local): 10
Jay Peak VT: 5
Fortune QC (local): 5
Gray Rocks QC (RIP): 4
Mad River Glen VT: 3
Chic Chocs QC: 3*
Edelweiss QC (local): 3
Le Massif QC: 2
Whiteface NY: 1
Sugarbush VT: 1
Sunday River ME: 1
Chilly QC: 1
Grand Fonds QC: 1*
Sutton QC: 1
Montcalm QC: 1*
Calabogie ON (local): 1
Vorlage QC (local): 1

* new areas

QC/ON local: 20 (8 daylight skiing)** see Fly West/Drive East for reason of distinction.
QC non-local: 13
VT: 9
NY/ME: 2

Daylight days comparison: only skied 25% of those days locally.**

By Month (compare to last year)(end of May):

Oct: 1 (-2)
Nov: 1 (0)
Dec: 1 (-7)
Jan: 9 (-3)
Feb: 9 (-3)
Mar: 13 (+1)
Apr: 6 (-1)
May: 4 (+3)

By Day (til end of May)

Sun: 13 (-2)
Mon: 5 (+1)
Tue: 3 (-1)
Wed: 9 (-4)
Thu: 4 (0)
Fri: 2 (-5)
Sat: 8 (-1)

Looking at the month comparison shows December is not a good month to get hurt. It was not fun, but mid-April a year ago for me was luckier timing. On a mildly related note I was laid out with flu this past weekend, first time that bad since early 1990's. But also not bad timing, a week after the Memorial weekend at Mammoth.

Patrick, do you have any pix of your days at Gray Rocks? I've stopped there during the summer, but never in winter.

Tony Crocker":3271lx8t said:
Looking at the month comparison shows December is not a good month to get hurt.

It pretty affected my days from December to February. The doc told me it would take 6-8 wks ...plus I aggravated it on December 27 (not skiing). But December is less an issue for me as I generally so busy with school/Christmas/music + we were car shopping also that I don't get as much time to get away unless a real good storm hits.

jamesdeluxe":3271lx8t said:
Patrick, do you have any pix of your days at Gray Rocks?

8-[ Yeah, I got a ton. We've stayed two days in the end of our March break + skied the last weekend.

That TR and a few others are in the queue. There are a few TRs and/or pics I want to get out, but I've been swamped with plannning my HS reunion this year. That reunion is next weekend, so after mid-June I'll try to get a few TRs out.

Well today was my last day of lift served riding. Latest into the summer and most days in a season for me since I started riding in 2004. Last season I had 105.

129 Days

99 Mammoth
28 June Mountain
1 Alpine Meadows
1 Bear Mountain

Hopefully next season, I'll get to a few more (new) resorts that I haven't been to yet, probably mostly in the tahoe area. Having a free season pass to mammoth & june makes it tough to go anywhere else.

I do plan on hiking for turns a few times this summer up near Yosemite & Saddlebag Lake.

Back