Alta, UT 12/7/2014

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Day 8: Backside!

I skied with the same crew today as yesterday. We hadn't expected it, but from the very first run it became obvious that we'd get a very special treat today.

20141207_093302-MOTION.gif

Backside hasn't been open yet all season, but from the control effort and sign work it was clear that we'd get it today. We bet on 11 a.m. and nosed around both Collins Gulch and Albion Basin while we waited for the rope to drop.

We arrived at Germania Pass at 11:02 and sure enough, Backside had just opened moments before. Completely smooth, the supportable base was covered in two or three inches of loose, sugary snow. It was divine! We traversed all the way out to Susie's Trees, but it was just too good to stop for photos. The only tracks ahead of ours out there were Patrol's.

20141207_112547.jpg

We took a late lunch and just kept lapping Backside both before and after our meal. Once Telejon and TheOtherAmy left, Bobby Danger, AmyZ and I decided to head out across the countryside, following the Backside traverse all the way to the top of Greeley Slot, where we paused for a few minutes first to take in that view for the first time this season.

20141207_141226.jpg

But we weren't yet done traveling. After dropping Greeley Slot, we hung a hard left and passed beneath Bombay Chute to ski lower North Greeley, which at 2:30 p.m. was virtually untracked.

20141207_142755_009.jpg

20141207_142819_025.jpg

That was enough to convince us to end the weekend on a high note right then and there.

DAY..12.. first ride up collins lift this morning patrol was already on manuvers on backside setting off charges . we skied into albion basin first trip down the hill only to notice patrol in glory hole setting charges they were clearing the hill to open this acreage for skiing to the general public . skied a bunch of early morning runs back and forth between the two base areas watching them on manuvers . we had a 10:00a.m. coffee at watsons skied to the base of collins lift and proceeded into albion basin again to check progress , rope lines and signage was being placed across the hillside in appropriate places that alta patrol posts . went up sugarloaf chair and around e.b.t. to germania pass only to have had the opening of yellow trail and backside moments before arriving there . today by far was the most acreage we've had this season , now it feels as if we have some acreage to roam across . i'm not quite sure but would have to say alta offers the most lift serviced acreage open to skiing in the state.

I have dreams of untracked Yellow Trail. I bet the reality is even better. Thanks for the report.

Back