Eldora Skiing 2023/2024

Joel's timelapse of Eldora stake:
17053225702c646ce627a313fdee23b3e55ea95782.gif

OpenSnow has storm total since Wednesday for Eldora at 38 inches, exceeded in Colorado only by Crested Butte 45 (North face not open yet but surely soon), Steamboat 42 and Wolf Creek 40.

Last edited:
Not going to create a new thread at this point for only a handful of pics/words.

Skiers are acting very weird all of a sudden this year. Jr has to be on snow ~7:20a to load lifts, well before the public, so we are pulling in just after 7a. For the first time ever when showing up that early, tons of general public cars are now arriving. Used to be exclusively racer families. Now I'm in the 4th row of cars for the first time ever. CRAZY. I watched a dad and his probably ~8 yr old son park next to me and proceed to sit in their car for a solid hour doing exactly nothing before wandering into the lodge. Why would you do that to a 8 yr old (get them up at 5:30a to go sit in a parking lot for an hour?).

That said, both days Eldora parked out despite the 800 additional parking spaces put in only 2 years ago. Given that it took 4 years to get the county to approve the last one, I don't think any new parking spaces are in Eldora's near future...

Skiing was interesting with surprisingly firm groomers. Not really much in the way of hitting snowmaking or scratchy surfaces outside of literal couple spots on the whole mountain. I chalk it up to huge winds mid-week. The best stuff finally opened for the season ~10:45a on Saturday. I totally lucked out with timing and came up the lift a literal one minute before the patrol director pulled the rope. Both great and difficult skiing mixed in on that side. Some really soft, but dense-ish turns (acted like ~8-12 inches depending). but also some very wind affected, chunky/pothole stuff going on in places as well.

Both days fairly warm. Sunday with intermittent snow showers.

I think one other person might have been skiing this? This was my third lap before I thought to take a pic. You can see the damage that the wind does at Eldora. In general, always stay Skiers Left for the best and deepest snow!
Image00001.jpg

And then Snowboarders wonder why they have a bad rap. This idiot did a heel slide the entire pitch on Salto glade. (also note the black carbon from recent avi bombing).
Image00003.jpg

Unique view of the hill with some storage and grilling going on...
Image00004.jpg

Sun am had a very short 5 minutes where the sun lit up a tiny sliver of the hill before going behind the clouds...
Image00005.jpg

Last edited:
Not going to create a new thread at this point for only a handful of pics/words.
Since you're there at least once a week, why not retitle this as an ongoing "Eldora Conditions 2023-24" thread? That's what Harv's forum does and it works well when people want to post pix with a quick bit of description but not a "formal" trip report.

This idiot did a heel slide the entire pitch on Salto glade.
:eek:
Did you say anything?

why not retitle this as an ongoing "Eldora Conditions 2023-24" thread?
TGR has tons of those too, including one for Eldora. I've thought about it a bit, but you do lose some searchable title info on when or etc... At the moment I was thinking one thread per month kind of thing. (No Eldora on the schedule for the rest of January for me).

Did you say anything?
Unfortunately no. I had whipped my cell out to grab a quick 'action shot' and didn't consciously recognize he had done that until I was putting the cell away and he was down in the trees somewhere.

I've thought about it a bit, but you do lose some searchable title info on when or etc..
Yes, there are + and - to both options. Being a virtual 100% long-haul destination skier (since COVID began) lends itself to trip reports. If I were still skiing 12-ish days in the Catskills each season, I'd certainly do a conditions thread for that.

Thread now somewhat mis-titled. I'll go back and edit someday, but a very busy week coming up.

Going to add some pics and commentary from the past month, though I only took pics a couple of times the whole month.

Lots of home races for various groups held over the past month plus one more next weekend when I will be away.
One of the more interesting races was in light snow and fog. Chilly, but at least the Eldora wind machine wasn't running that day.
Image00005.jpg

Also a good thing it was SL that day (girls course left, boys course right coming out of the start).
Image00007.jpg

This is what it has come to at Eldora now - A line waiting for the lodge to be unlocked at 7am. Note the staff meeting in the background (blue jackets):
Image00003.jpg

Slightly different view of Chute race training
Image00004.jpg

Then there is the curious case of pranksters(?) and the snow stake. The Eldora snow stake is in a fairly remote location. It is not in any currently designated ski terrain and it is ~300 verts higher than the base area. I'm not going to say where it is so more goofballs don't get bright ideas; but someone skinned up in the wee hours of the night and shoveled snow onto it at 3:30am in the middle of the most recent snowstorm.

Management was not pleased as they have different staff volumes and protocols for new snow under or over 12" on the stake.

So when you see this, your confused as it looks weird, but definitely more than 12":
after.jpeg

In reality the snow stake was this from snowfall:
before.jpeg

I couldn't capture the act of shovelling with a still frame very well, but...
shovel1.jpeg

Might have been a funny joke to shovel a foot on there in the middle of a sunny, dry stretch? Either way I heard there are camera views of the license plate. Who knows if they'll pursue for the extra staff $$ spent.

The snow yesterday was surprisingly excellent for the most part. Not cement or wet at all, yet mostly very dense and skied very fun and nicely. The upper part of Westridge are wind filled as usual and was probably about a foot with on going heavy snow squalls all day dropping a couple more inches.

You would have thought 2 feet of new snow actually had fallen by the crowds at opening bell
Image00008.jpg

I did not get any action shots for various reasons. Psychopath overlooked with only a couple tracks on it:
Image00009.jpg

Typical snowdrifts on upper Moose glade
Image00010.jpg

Both of these short turn figure 8 tracks are mine in a glade. Just have to know where to go by late am.
Image00013.jpg

Not sure I have ever shown the Gully in "Gully Glade". My recommendation is to do the 2nd glade entry point.
Image00015.jpg

It was also Subaru winterfest with a whole 'village' built out front of the west wing lodge
Image00017.jpg

Free wax job and even 50% off if you bought from them then and there. The claim is nano-tech, fully biodegradable and lasts 15-20days vs more like 5-7 days for traditional wax job. I certainly noticed the difference of course from am to pm afterwards. $50 a pop retail. I wax often enough due to racing and have tons to burn through even if I think theirs is better right now.
Image00018.jpg

Band seemed pretty good, but I was there for skiing of course
Image00019.jpg

Best looking goofy vehicle I've seen this winter...
Image00020.jpg

I have never done the watch nor phone app ski tracking thing until Mustang in 2023 when they explicitly mentioned the Avenza app and a dedicated 'trail' map of their tenure. Going forward I would think I mostly would record unique or new ski areas> Perhaps an occasional Eldora day if I am data experimenting with known altitudes, verticals, etc... like I describe below.

For those familiar with my Mustang ski track maps the past two seasons, it turns out there is an old, poorly labeled but free, map of Eldora on Avenza. Combined with the fact that my cheap Fitbit died in the hot tub at Mustang means I upgraded to a Garmin watch (one of the cheap ones for Garmin but still better, more capable and pricier than prior). The Garmin, despite being on the lower end side of their many watches still does ski tracking. I thought I'd compare the two apps to see if they were very close in distance, altitude, elevation drop, etc...

I have not had time to do more than a glance at the numbers they produced, but very interesting experiment that I only remembered to start about a third into my ski day March 3. I clearly goofed up, starting and stopping the Garmin for each run. It then lists each run separately as its own event/exercise and then only maps each run out one at a time. Reading up later, the claim is that the Garmin will recognize each lift ride and pause recording. I'll try it, but will be surprised if true.

The Avenza map will not show any difference in lift rides versus going downhill and will not calculate each run separately unless you do start/stop at the top and bottom of each run. Either way, the stats as recorded are as close as only 3 vertical feet different on a run between the two methods to nearly 80 vertical feet different on a run. Unfortunately I really need to synchronize both by taking laps only on a lift with known vertical to test. I did a fair bit of top of one lift to bottom of a different lift, or with long lift lines end up 20 verts at least up hill from the base or etc... The Garmin definitely tracks TONS of data points (speed, max and min speed, elevation, vertical, etc...)

Avenza is easy to export a whole 'layer' (day) as a kml or etc... to google earth as well. Garmin only exports to GPX format (should be able to pull into Google Earth Pro), but I can only do so one run at a time based on the way I recorded things which is clearly much more painful. If the watch works as described though, it could be easier to set it and forget it all day long, then export all the runs at once.

Of course set it and forget it will chew through a lot of the watch battery which was one reason I kept starting and stopping it. I didn't record the detail, but would estimate ~10-15% of watch battery usage for 2/3 of a day by turning on and off GPS each run. Implies maybe 25-40% battery drain for a full day of skiing with GPS on. Avenza only uses a few % of cell phone battery turning tracking on and off for each run. Surprisingly low power consumption, though it only tracks a point once per 2 seconds or something like that (I think it is more intended for hiking/backpacking).

Avenza partial day (I actually forgot about it until after I started recording on the watch for a couple runs already)
Image00021.jpg

Garmin track with speed shown: A Moose glade run (pre-Avenza mapping).
Image00023.jpg

This is the same far lower left track on Avenza: Powderhorn Glade/Bonanza
Image00022.jpg

I'll stick with low tech Vertech. Altimeter watch battery lasts a couple of years vs. phone or GPS where you might not make it all the way through a cold day. And only for cat/heli do I have to turn it on and off between runs.

When is there too much snow? Today at Eldora:

8:00 AM update – For the safety of our guests and staff, Eldora will remain closed today, Thursday, March 14 for safety reasons. We have experienced multiple snow slides on Shelf Road (our access road) since about 3:00 AM and remain concerned about further slide danger on the road today. We hope to resume normal operations tomorrow. In the meantime, stay home, stay safe, shovel out, and enjoy the beautiful weather!

They reported 30" of new snow this morning and still snowing through tomorrow morning... Could be another 12-18"+ is the forecast. Of course that will make tomorrow a shit show up there (and probably the weekend too). Slides on the Shelf Road are very rare, but have happened before, most notably in the huge blizzard of March 2003.

I70 is shut in tons of places too; mostly on this side of the tunnels since this is an upslope storm with only ~6-15" at or beyond the divide. So if you weren't already on the other side of the divide to get to ABasin or Winter Park for example, you aren't likely to ski much today.

There was 6" yesterday afternoon on the stake when they cleared it at 4:30pm. So this is way above the stake height.
eldomarch14.jpg

So Eldora was closed for basically 2 days from the big storm a couple weeks ago. Technically they did open a couple of lifts ~1p on Friday, but didn't announce it until only Ned locals could make it up. No backside terrain until later on Sat either. And similar to 2003, sun affected heavy snow, not powder.

One of the more curious aspects of such a big storm in my world is digging out B-net...
IMG_2317.jpg

Bottom of the poma poles are buried...
IMG_2306.jpg

For those that know racing, this a fairly well known person/personality!
IMG_2324.jpg

Any January style wind storm in April... Eldora had to shut due to power being completely out at the resort. Unknown if they will even have power for Monday either...
SadEldoApr7.PNG

Back