Tignes April 8th to 12th 2024.

Sbooker

@Tony Crocker let me know if you want me to do a thread for each day.

I caught the bus up to Tignes on Sunday 7th. A nice little minibus. Hardly any traffic so it only took 2 hours 40 minutes from Geneva. I got in about lunch time. It was hot. About 12 degrees Celsius at 2000 metres. I spent the afternoon getting a ski pass, doing some groceries, sorting ski kit and doing a gym session at the fantastic gym in Tignes Le Lac. I’m staying in a little Airbnb right in the centre because the Snoworks course I’m on meets there each morning.
The Snoworks people set up a WhatsApp group for the participants of all their courses this week. Very handy as quite a few of us are travelling solo so I met a few others for dinner last night. One chap is a barrister, another fellow a mathematician and strangely a nice middle aged lady was also a mathematician. The two math people had never met. I as a real estate person dumbed the dinner group down though. 🙂

We met our instructor Ewan from Edinburgh Scotland at 8.45am and collected our off piste pack. He warned us that because there has been no freeze for 3 nights the off piste skiing would be challenging. We spent the morning doing laps in Chardonnay bowl and the circuit off lookers left of the Grand Huit chair. The instructor described the snow as ‘hollow’ and ‘rotten’. It was hard to ski in as it felt gluey and grabby. Ewan said it was perfectly normal to be not skiing fluidly in that type of snow. He expects today would be the toughest day of the week as it should snow tomorrow and the temps will drop markedly. Here’s hoping.

After the lesson finished at 1pm I had a bite to eat then met with some others. We went up toward the Val D’Isere side but the creux piste was like waterskiing. We then moved up to the glacier in the hope the elevation would improve the snow. It did. We spent the afternoon lapping the Vanoise chair and the Grand Motte cable car. There was no feeling of having the brakes put on up there like down lower.

A few pics but they’re not great. The Saharan sand has left the snow an off white colour and the sky a murky haze.

IMG_9997.jpeg

IMG_9998.jpeg

^^
I’m pretty sure that was the start of the entry into the Chardonnay area.

IMG_9999.jpeg

IMG_0001.jpeg

Ewan did some transceiver training with us. You can see how far he sunk into the snow.

IMG_0002.jpeg

A shame about the sand, although I've seen pix of far worse.

Having been there for the first time recently, I know how extensive and high-quality Tignes' terrain offerings are; however, there's no way to make that village look good. It reminds me of an HLM (public housing) district in the Parisian suburbs.

Now I see why he recommended wider skis!
1712667008376.jpeg

let me know if you want me to do a thread for each day.
If you're spending the week at the same resort, I vote that you keep it as one thread!

Not much to say for today. We did the best we could but visibility was not good due to falling snow. It was wet snow down low so the trees weren’t much of an option. Spent a lot of time on piste doing drills. The turns were soft though.
Should be better tomorrow.
IMG_0011.jpeg

Walking home from dinner last night it was snowing nicely so I had hopes for some good conditions this morning.
IMG_0017.jpeg

The report said 20cm had fallen. I think it was in the most not quite that much but some pockets were deeper obviously. The visibility on the way up was good.

IMG_0020.jpeg

We did some laps around the Auguille Percee chair just getting the easy to get at snow. I didn’t get too many pictures as the pace was pretty fast (for me anyway).

IMG_0022.jpeg

About mid morning the guide lead us via a traverse (turning left at the top of the Auguille Percee chair) to what I think was the Vallon de la Sache area. We worked our way through there before joining up with the Sache piste where the red branches off.

IMG_0032.png

I only got one pic of that area.

IMG_0025.jpeg

We were in and out of cloud. At times it was thick.

IMG_0026.jpeg

As we got lower the cloud cleared. Here looks over Les Brevieres.

IMG_0027.jpeg

We skied some fresh snow around the Auguille Rouge chair before finishing at 1pm. I had a bite to eat with another chap before going to the Val D’Isere side and skiing untracked between the pistes in the area around the Grand Pre chair. Visibility was tough there though.
As I headed back toward the Tignes side late this afternoon the sun started to appear.
IMG_0030.jpeg

It’s now cloudy again and very lightly snowing. It warms up again tomorrow but with the cold overnight we might get some good spring conditions tomorrow.

Any more snow predicted? You’re about where we were this week in 2018 after the first storm but we got two more.

Any more snow predicted? You’re about where we were this week in 2018 after the first storm but we got two more.
As I was walking home it was snowing but not a lot predicted in the next few days. Relatively cool temps and some snow in the forecast for next week when I’m at Val Thorens.
IMG_0042.jpeg

A great day today. The instructor/guide said last night was a “mini retour d’est” so we went to the Val side. The morning was spent skiing the roughly 6 inches of fresh snow on the meadows.
IMG_0046.jpeg

We skied the Grizzly couloir which is grizzly in name only.

IMG_0056.jpeg

After lunch the instructor was super excited to be able to ski the tunnel at the top of the 3000 drag lift. It opened a couple of days ago for the first time in 15 years.

1fed2ede-485f-4f76-9a64-4f89b01d6335.jpeg

We spent the afternoon over that side skiing various bits and pieces before taking Signal up to ski Grand Vallons. The snow was not perfect because of the warmth but it was impressive none the less.

IMG_0067.jpeg

IMG_0063.jpeg

Some random pics including a novelty action shot that Ewan took.

IMG_0049.jpeg

IMG_0060.jpeg

^^^The exit from the tunnel which is in that shot was above my pay grade. It was a relief to get below that line of rocks.

ce1ef798-b8dc-41e8-a1ee-3ece0d883afe.jpeg

The Grand Motte glacier twinkling in the sun at the end of the day.

IMG_0069.jpeg

Pretty sure today was one of my best days on skis. I’m relieved to advise my 92mm skis served me well but Ewan said the skiing would have been more enjoyable on 100mm skis. He’s on QST 106 but recommended the 98 for me as I’m a lightweight.
This Snoworks off piste course at 475 GBP is great value. 5 half days of guiding and instruction and this afternoon’s session was a free bonus.

^^
The exit of the tunnel yesterday had huge hard ruts and hollows in it. It’s hard to believe it’s the same place as the vid above.

On another topic the Face yesterday was so docile with snow on it. When we skied it in the first week of January 2023 it was super slick and icy.

I don’t quite get where this Val d’Isere tunnel is. ChrisC’s video was the tunnel at Alpe d’Huez.

I don’t quite get where this Val d’Isere tunnel is. ChrisC’s video was the tunnel at Alpe d’Huez.

Pretty sure the video Chris posted is Val. It says so down the bottom.

It's the Val d’Isere Ski Patrol video. You can see the up-and-over lift skiers left upon exiting the tunnel. The tunnel at Alpe d'Huez is larger.

Since 14:17, we dive back into history with the opening of the Tunnel track, 😃😀, served by the ski lift of the 3000 sector of Solaise, the Tunnel of 3000, created by our Elders to access the Pissaillas Glacier while the climbs did not yet exist in the Valley of Iseran... The weather conditions are still a bit capricious but the happiness of making history live makes us happy 🙏💫😁😁😁🙏💫
A long-term work carried out by the teams of Pisteurs, Damers, artisans, the Val d'Isère Telephérique teams to maintain the climb to be able to access the Vallon de l'Iseran through the Tunnel track (Black track ⚫️ reserved for very good skiers)
Good skiing...

Lots of good info on patrol site:

Val d’Isere is likely at 240” of snow in resort. given snow levels, assume they received 400”+ near summits. You can see the Mid-season/February snow plateau….sigh

IMG_5055.jpeg

It is a warm day today so Ewan spent the morning hunting down spring snow. The areas above Tignes that face the morning sun - around the Grattalu lift but just a short traverse off piste - were perfect at 9.30am.

IMG_0087.jpeg

Then we moved to higher and skied the area east of the Leisse chair. Huge wide open spaces with no skiers but perfect soft creamy snow.
IMG_0089.jpeg

Here’s Ewan pointing us in the right direction.

IMG_0090.jpeg

I guess he’s a pro and it’s his job but his ability to get the spring snow with perfect timing is uncanny.
I didn’t get too many pics and I’m going to call it a day early today as I have some washing to do (and get dried) before heading to Val Thorens tomorrow. Winter returns early next week after a warm couple of days this weekend.
I hope next week is half as good as this one has been.

PS. Why is softened spring snow called ‘corn’? Is it supposed to look or feel like corn? Should be called butter snow in my opinion.

The report said 20cm had fallen. I think it was in the most not quite that much but some pockets were deeper obviously. The visibility on the way up was good.

I looked at the Tignes snow report on Tuesday/Wednesday. Tignes always seems to report more than Valnd’Isere - and likely so from Western storms.

The Grande Motte glacier area always reports a high amount - almost 2ft in this case. Never got to verify/ski higher amounts.

IMG_5014.jpeg

Back