Total Solar Eclipse in Mexico, Apr. 8, 2024

tseeb

We saw it from Mazatlan. There were some thin and broken clouds, but since ACE did not have the rental car I booked and paid for via Priceline a couple of days before our Saturday arrival, we could not try to go inland for clearer skies in the Sierra Madre as 4 people in our group did.

A couple of planets and an iguana made an appearance during and just before the 4+ minutes of totality, respectively. There was also a couple who got married dancing and some costumed Mexican dancers afterwards. Planet to lower right.
IMG_8713.jpeg
IMG_8721.jpeg

IMG_8730.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8730.jpeg
    IMG_8730.jpeg
    469.2 KB · Views: 28
We saw it from Mazatlan. There were some thin and broken clouds, but since ACE did not have the rental car I booked and paid for via Priceline a couple of days before our Saturday arrival, we could not try to go inland for clearer skies in the Sierra Madre as 4 people in our group did.

A couple of planets and an iguana made an appearance during and just before the 4+ minutes of totality, respectively. There was also a couple who got married dancing and some costumed Mexican dancers afterwards. Planet to lower right.
View attachment 40743View attachment 40744
View attachment 40746
Was that today Tony or a previous eclipse?

We were also in Mazatlan and chose to chase clearer skies inland. We had reserved a car far in advance because we preferred to view from high altitude if possible after the impressive views on Rendezvous Peak 10,400 feet in 2017. The Mazatlan-Durango toll road crosses the Sierra Madre Occidental, topping out at El Salto about 8,500 feet.

As noted, TonyS and my son Adam were not able to reserve cars at the last minute. And since our flight changed and we arrived in Mazatlan at 5PM instead of 11AM they jacked our rate to $200/day.

The predicted high cirrus cloud over most of the path in western Mexico would likely only obscure the outer corona, and that prediction was contradictory down to the last day, with the Canadian model favorable and the American GFS not. Thus we were the only ones to leave Mazatlan, taking one other couple Wayne and Susie Nelson with us. Wayne’s fluent Spanish helped us a couple of times with the traffic situation.

Windy.com Sunday night indicated the area between El Salto and Durango would be clearest. There is a toll road exit in that area running from Otinapa in the north to El Soldado in the south. A fellow eclipse chaser in Durango had scouted sites and knew there was a Polish astronomy group viewing from El Soldado.

We left our hotel at 5:45AM and moved smoothly around truck traffic across many short bridges and through short tunnels, finally reaching the 2.8km Sinaloense tunnel where traffic abruptly ground to a halt inside. Wayne inquired and was told “big accident.” I realized that cars going the other way intermittently were turning around as opposed to the convoy pattern we would see from one way traffic, so we turned around and got out of the tunnel by 7am.

The old and scenic mountain road was amazingly uncrowded, as noted on this brief pit stop.
IMG_4398.JPG

IMG_4399.JPG

Though in good shape it was twisty and even with no traffic you could only drive about 25mph.

The old road passed by the Las Rusias radio tower reachable by a short but unpaved and rocky access driveway to 9,400 feet. The top was still forested but the attendants were hospitable and offered to let us climb it!
IMG_4411.JPG

IMG_4412.JPG

But there were clouds to the west and north while east was clear so we moved on and gave eclipse glasses to the attendants. And Liz gave this guy a pep talk about totality!

We finally reached the exit we wanted going north to Otinapa or south to El Soldado. We turned south as there were clouds far north but stopped when we saw a van with some people from Britain and Australia and a camera setup about 45 minutes before second contact. Soon we were joined by a lone German.
IMG_4414.JPG

Overall these rural roads were startlingly empty of eclipse chasers. 100% of the traffic issues were due to that horrific accident. The Brits had seen it the afternoon before. Two big rigs collided and one of them burst into flames.

We had the clear skies at 8,000 feet we had put in the effort to find. Weather models don’t do clouds well, but any clouds approaching from the west (it was somewhat windy) broke apart before they reached our longitude. There were lightly scattered clouds to the east past Durango, but all reports we read later from Durango and Torreon were also successful, though one from Torreon mentioned cirrus like Mazatlan.

We got a new camera Canon EOS R50 with a not cheap 100-400 zoom lens, but had little time to practice with it. I set it up leeward of our car and lined up the Sun with a homemade solar filter during the partial phase.
IMG_0146.JPG

IMG_0151.JPG

A couple of ambient views in the minutes before totality:
IMG_4419.JPG

IMG_4420.JPG

With no filter the Sun dazzles even as a sliver, but you can see the sky is noticeably darker to the right (west) in direction of approaching shadow.

One of the Brits recorded our coordinates:
IMG_4422.JPG

This spot had 4 minutes 13 seconds of totality. Centerline to the north was as much as 4:27, but we wanted to steer clear of any clouds moving from that direction.

After I fell asleep Sunday night, Liz to her great credit studied the camera more and took some shots during totality. These are long exposures showing more outer corona that was probably not seen through cirrus at Mazatlan:
IMG_0157.JPG

IMG_0180.JPG

With wind a lot of the long exposure pics were blurred, but Liz took a bunch and the above two were the best. We are near solar sunspot maximum now, and the corona is more round shaped then.

Short exposures display prominences the best.
IMG_0200.JPG

IMG_0220.JPG

The one at 4 o’clock was visible right after second contact despite being the opposite side, and by that second picture late in totality had a loop visible through my binoculars.

Third contact diamond ring, a little late:
IMG_0232.JPG

There’s a little bit of chromosphere visible on either side.

Numerous observers have commented upon that dazzling third contact Diamond ring, probably due to an unusually deep but narrow valley on the Moon. This was a darker than average eclipse with Venus and Jupiter very bright. This was less noted in the Northeast where the path was narrower and some optimal viewing spots like Sugarloaf (2:21 totality) were farther off centerline. Patrick was also on top of Sugarloaf but never met Powderchaser Steve.

The toll road was still closed going back with no warning signs or smartphone notifications. Debris where we turned around:
IMG_4423.JPG

So we drove back over the 25mph mountain road with a stop at this scenic overlook.
IMG_5204a.JPG

There are canyon views both north:
IMG_4426.JPG

And south:
IMG_4427.JPG

Note that it’s much cloudier in the mountains now than before the eclipse.

Most settlements on the mountain road were about this size:
IMG_4429.JPG

Back on the toll road, it was still jammed with trucks waiting to go to Durango.
IMG_5208a.JPG

There were a few of these Mexican army convoys too.
IMG_5212a.JPG

We got back to our Mazatlan hotel 5pm, more than 11 hours after we left. I took a dip in the ocean and a soak in the Jacuzzi. Mazatlan had a cloudy but colorful sunset.
IMG_5217.JPG

Today there is not a cloud in the sky.

Last edited:
car rentals in Mexico are some of the most painful experiences I ever had in traveling the world. they just love to stick it to gringos IMO. driving in Mexico is always painful and requires total concentration all the time, especially in major cities. i was in Park City for work on Monday during the eclipse. there's still an abundance of snow in the wasatch. April is a special month for west facing mountains given the abundance of sunlight and 8 pm sunsets and still snow packed mountains (sorry no pics taken, too busy chowing down pizza at slackwater downtown ;)

Attachments

• IMG_4797.jpg
    IMG_4797.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_4793.jpg
    IMG_4793.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_4772.jpg
    IMG_4772.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 30
Did James really find THIS Los Angeles on a map? There are a couple of Los Angeles establishments close to Mazatlan. The Los Angeles in Chile is a fairly substantial town not far south of Chillan.
driving in Mexico is always painful and requires total concentration all the time, especially in major cities.
The toll road driving was ..... interesting though I got the hang of it quickly. The Mazatlan - Durango toll road is probably the only fast crossing of the Sierra Madre Occidental within a couple hundred miles either direction and thus has a ton of truck traffic even at 6AM when we got there. It has one lane in each direction with a double yellow line down the middle but relatively wide continuous shoulders. People routinely pass slower traffic in the middle. What makes it manageable is that the slower trucks are consistently courteous and drive more on the shoulder when someone needs to pass, something we would never see in the US.

There is room for two trucks on the the shoulders and one or more cars driving down the middle to pass. Obviously there is potential for passing cars in opposition, but there were so many cars doing this that usually one or two of them were in front of me running interference. Also some of those Mexican trucks have to slow way down climbing hills and the amount of space needed to pass a truck at 25mph is minor vs. 60mph. I missed the classic picture of two cars side by side passing a truck

We felt very sorry for many of those truckers, especially those stuck in the the 2.8km Sinaloense tunnel. They couldn't turn around like we did and some of them had to be in there for 30+ hours. Just east of Mazatlan at 4PM, lots more were parked in the shoulder waiting for the road to open. I still can't find any story about the accident and road closure. Google searches only come up with past incidents of that road closing.

Last edited:
That's not the one on the mountain road.
Mexico400_40.jpg

The lower left quadrant of the map shows the route 400 toll road and the squiggly route 40 mountain road with Los Angeles marked along with Las Rusias where we checked out the radio tower. We got back on 400 past Las Adjuntas and continued east just past where San Miguel is marked at extreme upper right. If I zoomed out the map enough to show the El Soldado road where we viewed the eclipse small details like Los Angeles would disappear from the Google map.

Last edited:
I can imagine what you're referring to but could you provide details?
As noted, TonyS and my son Adam were not able to reserve cars at the last minute. And since our flight changed and we arrived in Mazatlan at 5PM instead of 11A they jacked our rate to $200/day.
TonyS reserved a car on Priceline a couple of days ahead. Nobody at Mazatlan would honor it. Also the Mexican Volaris airline was frequently changing flights often to a different day. We made some calls a few months back to keep our flights on track, but Wayne and Susie had booked through cheapoair.com and never got notifications from Volaris. Their return flight was moved a day later and fortunately a phone call March 31 got that one moved back. But their direct flight from Tijuana last Saturday was moved to a 6AM flight with a 5 hour layover in Monterrey.

Third party websites are good for researching airfares but it's best to make the actual booking on the airline's website as we did with Volaris. I usually book car rentals on third party sites, but in high demand situations maybe book direct and prepay. I prepaid the insurance for my Mazatlan car so at least I got the car despite the obnoxious price hike.

jojo_obrien can presumably add to these stories.

Last edited:
Impressive shots. I've never been to Mazatlan, but the mountain looks relatively scenic.

Third party websites are good for researching airfares but it's best to make the actual booking on the airline's website as we did with Volaris.

I always book on an airline's website with cancellations, credits, changes, standby, status, and miles. There are no savings on a 3rd-party site - only pain if the trip does no go right.

I usually book car rentals on third party sites, but in high demand situations maybe book direct and prepay. I prepaid the insurance for my Mazatlan car so at least I got the car despite the obnoxious price hike.

jojo_obrien can presumably add to these stories.

The most challenging thing about car rentals in Mexico and Costa Rica is the 'teaser' cheap rates, followed by required insurance. And claims your credit card does not cover. Therefore, you have all these people expecting a very cheap car rental—$10-20/day—that becomes 2-3x that with insurance.

Cancun is a nightmare, with US citizens repeatedly making the same argument. San Jose, Costa Rica and Cabo are similar. I never have rented a car in Mexico City.

Eventually Wayne found some pics of the Route 400 accident scene.
5A1ilers-incendio-supercarretera-mazatl%25C3%25A1n.jpg

Three people lost their lives when they were burned in a collision between two trailers on the Durango–Mazatlán superhighway, on April 7, 2024.

According to expert reports, the events occurred in the El Carrizal Tunnel around 1:30 in the afternoon on Sunday.

According to expert reports, the accident occurred when a tractor-trailer loaded with watermelons was hit by another trailer, which caused the unit to catch fire. Additionally, two other vehicles were involved in the incident.

So how did they not have the tunnel and road detoured long before you ever got there on Monday?
That's an excellent question to which I have no answer. We had it easy, just turned around in the tunnel and drove the mountain road that had essentially zero traffic 7-9AM and only a little bit 1:30-3:30PM. But consider a trucker who drove into that tunnel at the same time as us, 17 hours after the accident and was stuck in there for at least another 12 hours!

Last edited:
Eclipse satellite clips on Jay Anderson's site.
I screenshotted the Mexico and Northeast clips just after totality:
TSE2024cloudsMexico.png

I've marked Mazatlan and Torreon, both with high cirrus, along with El Soldado where we viewed just west of Durango. Jay Anderson's Travelquest group was in Torreon and he relocated them SW a similar distance to Francisco I Madera, about as far east of Durango as we were west.

Among our group in Mazatlan, Noel Leuzarder took some excellent pics.

Second contact diamond ring:
Noel_2nd_Contact.jpg

Third Contact Baily's beads with largest prominences:
Noel_3rd_Contact.jpg

The beach likely near end of totality:
Mazatlan_Beach_Eclipse.jpg

Our group, most of them regular attendees of Iron Blosam week at Snowbird:
MazatlanGroup.jpg

Adam is in the back with the Dodger cap. Organizers Ed and Janet Meisner are at far right. Noel is in front of Ed and Janet.

I was hoping I'd gotten better eclipse photos on 5x Zoom Point and Shoot camera that I couldn't review well until I got home, but nothing was good enough to post. Some great photos Liz and Noel took. Here are others I took in Mazatlan. The sunset from hotel room where we stayed the first 5 nights was always behind Isla Pajaro. Phone.
8755IslaPajaroSunset.JPG

Next is from camera. It's interesting that Mazatlan (MST) require no time change from CA (PDT) this time of year although sun rises 40 mins earlier there now compared to San Jose where it currently sets 90 mins later.
0002SunsetIslaPajaro.JPG

We stayed the last night in Olas Altos (tall waves) in 3-story older more traditional Mexican hotel for <$100/night vs. >$200/night at resort hotel with largest pool in Mexico where we were on 7th floor of 27-story tower. Our original plan was to stay in Old Mazatlan two nights, but due to a schedule change Alaska let us change our flight home to a day earlier to SJC (with stop at LAX) for free so we did. Mazatlan is a Nahuatl word for "place of deer". Sunset from room.
8776OlasAltosSunset.JPG

Not sure if street named Liverpool or the Beatles bronzes came first.
0003LuciaMcCartney.JPG
0004DeerLuciaMcCartney.JPG

We ate a lot of great seafood. Our first and third nights we went to F.I.S.H - Fresh Int'l Seafood House. The first night I had the Ceviche Verde, mahi-mahi and shrimp, that Lucia liked so much she ordered it on our second visit when I had one battered shrimp and two grilled mahi-mahi tacos. Both times I had 70 peso (~$4.50) liter of Pacifico Light. The first night a reggae band was blasting outside so loud that it was hard to talk inside (we had a wall, but doors were open). The second night was a solo guitarist accompanied by a drum machine. He was very good and not as loud even when playing Freebird. We tried to go again on Wednesday when they had a tenor, but couldn't get res.
9699Tony@FISH.JPEG

A dozen jumbo shrimp 3 ways at Chile's Pepper, restaurant overlooking beach not very far N of hotel we first stayed at. They should have put charcoal in base of serving dish as some of the shrimp were not as warm as the could have been, but all tasted very good. The battered ones were especially large and tasty. Others were grilled and coconut.
8753Lucia12Shrimp.JPG

We've been to Cabo and Puerto Vallarta many times and Cancun twice. This was our second time in Mazatlan. We went 33 years ago and climbed the peak on left that lighthouse is on when path was unimproved dirt. A friend who was recently there said it now has stairs and a fee to climb. Lighthouse is on the label for Pacifico beer which was started in Mazatlan in 1900 by German immigrants who began arriving in mid-18th century.
8802Mermaid.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Back