Utah & Alta's Last day, 21 Apr 2024 and beyond

jimk

I skied Alta on 21 Apr 2024 for only the second time this season (1st time was a great powder day in feb). It was their closing day and a large and festive crowd turned out. Magnificent weather, 60 degs on the mtn. Snow pretty good until early afternoon, then heavier, but that's when we started grilling and partying.

Wildcat lot at Alta full of partiers at 9am
1713747523_ftttttrbhhnf.jpg
1713747535_gmorqwdtsaif.jpg

PS: I'll post some more in this thread shortly.

Fond memories of 2011 Alta closing, part of Liz' and my first week together. Hopefully jimk made it to the Highboy party scene. Jimk might or might not have noticed former admin, who might or might not have brought his deep fryer for parking lot festivities as in 2011.

On their last day (21 Apr 2024) Alta was reporting a seasonal snowfall total of 621". This was far short of last year's record of 903, but still a very good year, and from my point of view Utah's had better spring conditions for much of this April due to more consistent temps. I had planned to go to Snowbird on the 21st, but a friend comp'd me a ticket at the last minute allowing me to more fully observe the last day festivities. I'd been to an Alta closing day about six years ago. They tell me the crowds and craziness are getting bigger every year. All parking reservations were long snapped up for this date, but I carpooled with a buddy that had one. We enjoyed about three hours of somewhat soft skiing before we got into the tailgating mode. I didn't get up on the hill for end of day Highboy activities and opted instead to beat traffic and head home about 330pm.
Lots of costumes.
alta apr 21 supreme crowd.jpg

The groomers were ok. It was kind of warm for the offpiste, but we gave it a try, mashed potatoes.
v alta 21 apr.jpeg

I'm working the grill. Guy next to me in friar tuck outfit had run the SLC marathon the day before. Nice kid, and was so SORE I felt sorry for him and gave him some food.
jim grill 21 apr.jpeg

By 1pm there were a lot of passed out people laying around.
passed out alta 21 apr.jpg

Lots of snow still in LCC, kind of hard to see Alta close at 100%.
superior and snowpine view 21 apr.jpeg

Last edited:
In between the Alta day I had two real fine spring days at Solitude, skiing from 9am to 12 or 1pm.
April 19
johnl apr 19 soli.jpg

Apr 22
vince soli 22 apr.jpg

dan tele 22 apr soli.jpg

Crazy Burke gets around the Cottonwoods
burke soli apr 22.jpg

The Solitude Wiggle
soli wiggle 22 apr.jpg

Most of the Utah ski areas are now closed. But 3 that I have a pass for are still open, Snowbird, Solitude and Brighton. Brighton closes Apr 28. The other two will go well into May and perhaps beyond. (Brian Head also open until May 5.)

Last edited:
beat traffic and head home about 330pm.
On closing day Alta's crowd would disperse gradually, though Snowbird would still make a 4:30 departure tedious. And if you hang around for festivities (we were on top of Highboy until 5:30 in 2011 and didn't leave until after 7PM) I doubt the drive down would be too bad.

Back