Vermont Snow Updates 2010-11

My chart is based upon the northern half of Vermont. I've commented both there and elsewhere that other regions in the east are much less reliable. Events like this weekend are Exhibit A of why that is so. Being on the right vs. wrong side of a rain/snow line even a few times per season makes a huge difference.

So true, Tony. Northern VT, northern NH, and northern ME are in a totally different climate zone than central and southern New England. As with this past storm, they tend to avoid (more frequently) the storms that begin as snow, change to sleet and then go over to rain that seem to plague weather in the Northeast. We've been lucky so far this winter in most of New England to have avoided most of these types of storms but our luck ran out on Saturday. It is always disheartening when one rainstorm ruins what has been 4 to 5 weeks of very good skiing. More snow is predicted for tonight which will help.

I was skiing in the Southern Berkshires, but, from what I could tell by looking at the radar on Saturday afternoon, it looked like the freezing rain went as far north as southern to middle VT (but it's possible the radar was wrong). I'd be interested to hear reports from anyone skiing Sunday from Killington on south to know what the conditions were truly like.

berkshireskier":30plw4c9 said:
I was skiing in the Southern Berkshires, but, from what I could tell by looking at the radar on Saturday afternoon, it looked like the freezing rain went as far north as southern to middle VT (but it's possible the radar was wrong). I'd be interested to hear reports from anyone skiing Sunday from Killington on south to know what the conditions were truly like.
Gore got some freezing rain sandwiched by snow on Saturday night too, but skied really really well. Many of those areas had a bit of freezing rain but also got quite a bit of snow as well. I think that the areas where it was straight rain got hit quite a bit worse than the other places. The places that got freezing rain also got some snow as I understand it and should ski pretty decently this upcoming weekend.

Here are some quick updates from the weekend around here.

On Saturday we were at Bolton, and at that point we were skiing the powder from the midweek synoptic storm. That storm was the big “one two punch” system that affected a lot of the country. Around here it came in with an initial round of fluffy 6.0% H2O snow on Tuesday (round 1, 1st entry below), then the middle was fairly standard synoptic snow on Wednesday, and then later Wednesday into Thursday it finished off with some additional sub 6% H2O fluff. Data I collected at the house are below:

Time/Date New Density
7:00 P.M. 01FEB 2.5” 6.0% H2O
6:00 A.M. 02FEB 1.8” 11.7% H2O
4:00 P.M. 02FEB 5.5” 10.5% H2O
10:00 P.M. 02FEB 2.2” 5.9% H2O
6:00 A.M. 03FEB 1.2” 3.3% H2O

So the powder skiing, while not blower, was reasonably light thanks to the fluff that topped it off – I’m not sure of the exact numbers for Bolton’s accumulations, but since we picked up 13.4 at the house and the mountain reported close to two feet, one could just about double my numbers. So I’d say perhaps 6 inches of fluff atop the more medium weight stuff, and there was a density gradient so it skied pretty well.

05FEB11E.jpg

On Saturday night we got that cool storm with the thundersnow/thundersleet etc. That event was mostly snow this far north, but we did have some sleet and granular snow in the mix of precipitation for an hour or two before it switched back to all snow. Even with a lot of granular flakes and a bit of sleet in there, it didn’t really seem to affect the snow. The snow was already pretty dense by Northern Vermont standards, so any mix just made it a bit denser. Data I collected for that event are below:

Time/Date New Density
10:00 P.M. 05FEB 4.5” 15.1% H2O
6:00 A.M. 06FEB 3.1” 10.0% H2O

We were at Stowe all day Sunday and got to experience the skiing associated with that event. It was certainly dense, very much like Cascade Concrete/Sierra Cement etc., and one typically sunk down into the powder only a few inches when skiing it. There didn’t appear to be any detrimental effects from whatever mixed precipitation fell. While not the top of the line snow for fluffy powder skiing, we picked up 7.6 inches down at the house comprised of 0.99 inches of liquid, and the Bolton through Jay Peak area picked up about a foot of snow, so it was a good shot of moisture to add to the base. The only other thing to note about the snow was that it acquired a bit of wind crust in exposed areas:

06FEB11A.jpg

Looking ahead, it seems that the next storm coming in tonight will be back to a fluffier type of snow; I’ve added in some of the graphics from the BTV site.

07FEB11A.jpg

07FEB11B.jpg

Tony Crocker":3189h2pc said:
Do they make fat skis for kids Ty's age now? Looking at that pic...
That’s a good observation; the skis in the picture actually are Ty’s widest-tipped skis at 114 mm. It’s been rather tough getting powder skis for the boys, as there isn’t (or at least I haven’t seen in the past couple of seasons) much out there in the 100 cm length range or below with extra width. Presumably there’s not a big market for them, but I’d say that Ty and Dylan spend more than enough time in the powder to warrant having some semi-specialized skis. E would definitely argue that point of course, not really the part about time spent in powder, but definitely the part that involves getting additional pairs of skis. Depending on the density of the powder, kids certainly don’t float/sink in the same way that adults do, but in my mind anything that makes their powder skiing easier and more fun is a plus. On days like Sunday that offered denser, trickier powder, it seems extra beneficial to have skis with some extra width. In my initial searches for powder skis I found nothing powder-specific at 100 cm and under, and really nothing in a standard ski that broke into waists above the mid 60 mm range for that length. Anyway, despite that apparent lack of powder skis for younger kids, thankfully the twin tip market appears to be big enough that it permeates down close to the 100 cm range, and some twin tips do offer expansion on ski width. At the beginning of the 2009-2010 season, Ty was getting past the 100 cm point for length and I was able to get him a pair of 2008 Dynastar Team Trouble skis (105 cm, dimensions 114-76-105) with the intention of using them for powder. They’re twin tips, and they certainly have more girth to them than what he uses for his current all-around skis (Atomic Race 5, 110 cm, 100-65-84). The Dynastars are at least 10mm wider at all three positions on the dimensions; they are the ones that he is using in the image above, and he was absolutely eating up the conditions on Sunday. Part of that performance was of course due to his experience from years of skiing various forms of powder snow, but I’d argue that his skis helped give him at least a little something extra. The extra width options for kids seem to become much more plentiful as length increases; this fall I was able to get him some 2011 Volkl Gotama Junior skis (118 cm, dimensions 113-80-105) for his new Telemark setup, and they even have some rocker. I’d guess that skis with the 75-80 mm waist may become more common in this size range as time goes on, but I still don’t think there are too many out there. Dylan is probably out of luck in terms of wider skis until he inherits Ty’s Atomics and Dynastars next season; for now he’s got Ty’s old 90 cm Dynamic VR17s (90 cm, 100-65-83.5) and Ty’s previous Rossignol Radical X1 skis (100 cm, 98-66-85) mounted Tele. It’s amazing how close those two models of skis are in terms of dimensions, and both in the mid 60 mm range for waist. He does fine with those, although I'm sure he'll be psyched when he inherits Ty's skis next season.

Interesting question by rfarren. I'm not precisely qualified to answer because my younger son did not share Adam/Ty/Dylan's enthusiasm for skiing. But I can say that with normal growth, boots and skis last the older kid only 2 seasons, and they are not even close to being worn out at that point, especially if they are high performance. I did run into a boot problem later as Adam has normal feet and Andrew developed wide feet that would not work in the hand-me-down boots starting about age 14.

Tony Crocker":2yql7zza said:
Interesting question by rfarren. I'm not precisely qualified to answer because my younger son did not share Adam/Ty/Dylan's enthusiasm for skiing. But I can say that with normal growth, boots and skis last the older kid only 2 seasons, and they are not even close to being worn out at that point, especially if they are high performance. I did run into a boot problem later as Adam has normal feet and Andrew developed wide feet that would not work in the hand-me-down boots starting about age 14.
Funny, I didn't even think about how the equipment would have plenty of life in it. I was thinking more about the psyche of always getting used gear, especially from and older sibling. I suppose it depends on the child. Perhaps, some children who look up to their older sibling may very well want that gear while others may be more competitive and consequently resentful. I can understand the financial dilemma for a parent acutely.

High performance kids' gear is not cheap, especially if you're replacing it every 2 years, and sometimes every year. Note from the other thread that JSpin already has 8 and 6 year old powder snobs. Adam skied powder competently at age 7, but we didn't really start actively looking for it in terms of trip planning until age 14 or so.

Geez, I didn't have new stuff until I was in High School (and I didn't have an older brother). :roll:

Morgane and Tara have been on used stuff all this time, the only exception has been recently with Morgane's skis that I found incredible deals on them and helmets. There are two classes of kids racing now, the parents with deep pockets or contacts and those that go bargain hunting/use stuff. Funny, we were working at last weekend's race, one parent told me that his daughter wanted to get a pink speedsuit. He told her there is no way that your brother is going to want a pink suit as everything that you have is going to be pass down to your younger brother.

Tony Crocker":1qenkk4r said:
High performance kids' gear is not cheap, especially if you're replacing it every 2 years, and sometimes every year.

Race gear are definitely not cheap, especially if you show up at a random store. Many clubs have gear swaps or post things online. That is how I got Morgane's speedsuit, pole guards, GS poles and potentially ski boots.

Tony Crocker":2gxcabw1 said:
After a substandard start, Vermont's ski season has been doing quite well. This will be 4 consecutive "A" weekends, not that common an occurrence. Usually there's at least one rain/spoiler weekend over a one month stretch.
That sounds about right; without looking at the scoring I would guess that during winter roughly one weekend a month around here ends up with substandard conditions due to a thaw, mixed precipitation, or whatever. To me those off weekends are nice to some degree, certainly not because of what might transpire with the snow surfaces, but because it means a break and chance to catch up on everything else. The consistently great skiing of late is definitely keeping me behind on my trip reports. Technically I’d say we had a borderline substandard weekend this January (Jan 22 & 23) that would fall in the “whatever” category, because of the cold. I went for a backcountry outing that Saturday, and it actually turned out warmer than expected, so I can’t knock that day. But Sunday was still quite cold (I believe that temperatures in the mountains never got out of the single digits with substantial winds) and E and her co-director cancelled our school ski program that day, as did other schools in the area. A couple of parents did make the trip out that day and definitely agreed that the correct choice was made. Those types of weekends may not factor into poor snow conditions (aside from the fact that the cold snow can be extra slow, and the presence of such cold usually means we’re not getting new snow), but they generally mean a substandard ski experience for visitors. Having to take long breaks inside, or skip skiing altogether because of frigid temperatures, is not necessarily getting one’s money’s worth on the slopes.

Does the paragraph above mean I'm being slightly generous in my assessment of northern Vermont ski conditions? :lol:

Tony Crocker":htw9m2oy said:
Does the paragraph above mean I'm being slightly generous in my assessment of northern Vermont ski conditions? :lol:
I wouldn't think so; it seems as though you use a rather similar scale throughout the country, and that seems pretty fair.

Since there hadn’t been any new snow overnight, and Bolton was only reporting 3 inches in the past 72 hours, we were actually planning to hit the Nordic/BC network with the boys. But, we received surprise calls from friends that were already on route to the mountain so we met up with them for some lift-served turns. We did some trail skiing, as well as plenty of off piste. It’s been almost a week since the last significant snow, so there are certainly packed snow areas in the trees, but plenty of untracked remains and we did our best to make use of it. In terms of powder depth it’s the usual sort of thing with a density gradient below, but I was getting measurements of roughly 25” down in the 1,500’ to 2,000’ elevation range. Last weekend’s thunder snowstorm put some fairly dense powder down, so one isn’t sinking too far, but there’s been at least a bit of fluff this week so the adults were sinking in to around a foot. I added a couple of shots from the day below:

12FEB11B.jpg

12FEB11A.jpg

This evening we’ve been under a cool band of snow that had been dropping its payload right along the Winooski Valley. We’ve picked up a couple of inches of Champlain Powder™ fluff down here at the house, and I’d say that Bolton and perhaps even Stowe have been getting in on it too:

12FEB11A.gif

I’ve finally found a chance to post an update from Sunday over at Stowe. We actually finished up with 2.5 inches of snow down at the house from Saturday’s snowfall activity, and Bolton picked up 4 inches out of that one, but it was definitely our least snowy Stowe Sunday to date. At the resort we had some light to moderate snow during the day for a short time, but nothing in terms of accumulation that established any powder on the trails. Conditions were still excellent, with packed powder on piste and powder off piste, and while the most popular off piste places had seen enough traffic that they featured packed or tracked snow, untracked powder was easy to find. The snowpack is well past that stage where the off piste is sufficiently covered, and after finally getting in on a couple of synoptic storms the previous week, things are now at the stage where brush is becoming so buried that most hardwood areas between trails, even those that don’t receive trimming attention, have opened up enough for turns. We were finding that aside from zones with tight evergreens etc., you’d just poke your head in the trees and go.

13FEB11A.jpg

We played around in lots of trees on Spruce Peak, and in our single pass down Perry Merrill found that almost everything we looked at the in Hazelton area was untouched. There are some really fun, steep powder lines in there, but we only got to do one with the group due to time constraints.

I was amazed to see that all of the front four trails were open from the very top, which in some cases means the very steep, rocky sections, with some like upper Goat approaching 40 degrees. I took the group on middle Goat, and looking up, I’m not sure that upper Goat would have been much fun based on the coverage we saw. Coverage always looks worse from below, but it looked really rocky from our perspective.

The final of three minor weekend snowfall events came in on Monday. We wound up with 4.8 inches at the house from that series, and mountain totals around here seemed to be close to a foot, with Jay Peak coming in a bit higher. On their website their current 7-day total is 19 inches. In some places the wind played havoc with measurement, and although I didn’t head out, the powder looked great based on Powderfreak’s Tuesday pictures from Stowe. He also had some great alpine shots from yesterday.

In terms of snowpack, snow at the stake Mansfield stake is 69 inches, which is a bit above average, but not really where it might have been after such a cold and snowy stretch since we only got a couple of synoptic storms.

It doesn’t sound like the snow will remain very powdery if these next couple days get warm, so we’ll just have to see how conditions look this weekend. The current BTV NWS discussion suggests some light precipitation with the frontal passage and upslope snow on Saturday morning, and then a light to moderate snowfall event late Sunday into early Monday. That could set up for very good turns on the Monday holiday depending on how much snow falls.

My Tuesday morning snowfall update to Americanwx.com is added below.

Tuesday 2/15/2011 6:00 A.M. update:

Event totals: 2.3” Snow/0.15” L.E.

We picked up an additional inch of snow overnight at the house, and there was some wind out there. We even had a touch of wind down in the yard, but nothing that interfered with snowfall measurement.

Relative to what the NWS was thinking on Saturday for these past three events:

[quote name='J.Spin' timestamp='1297516233' post='463642']I just checked in on the latest discussion at BTV, and their thoughts are for three snowfall events for around here through the short term, with the first one today. They seem to line up as follows:

Saturday: 1” – 3”
Sunday: 1” – 3”
Monday: 1” – 4”[/quote]
…things went down at the house as follows, assuming the Monday/Tuesday event is complete:

Saturday: 2.5”
Sunday: 0.0”
Monday: 2.3”

The Sunday system seemed to be the one that didn’t really deliver anything down in the valley, and I think totals were pretty low in the mountains as well. The northern mountains did get a decent shot from the third event however, some north to south 24-hour Vermont mountain totals are below:

Jay Peak: 8”
Smugg’s: 2”
Stowe: 4”
Bolton: 6”
Mad River: 2”
Sugarbush: 3”
Killington: 3”
Stratton: 3”
Mount Snow: 0”

Totals seemed to be highest north of the Winooski/I-89/Route 2 corridor, although I’m not sure why Smugg’s didn’t quite get in on that. Bolton Valley is reporting a 72-hour total of 10”, so in aggregate that’s pretty consistent with what the NWS predicted for the three events in the higher elevations.

Some details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations are below:

New Snow: 1.0 inches
New Liquid: 0.03 inches
Snow/Water Ratio: 33.3
Snow Density: 3.0% H2O
Temperature: 7.5 F
Sky: Partly Cloudy
Snow at the stake: 24.5 inches

Tony Crocker":1gtlyrgp said:
High performance kids' gear is not cheap, especially if you're replacing it every 2 years, and sometimes every year. Note from the other thread that JSpin already has 8 and 6 year old powder snobs. Adam skied powder competently at age 7, but we didn't really start actively looking for it in terms of trip planning until age 14 or so.
I realized that I wanted to follow up on some of the comments on skis for kids.

In terms of hand me downs, it’s like Tony suggested, the skis aren’t anywhere near being worn out when Ty is done with them – whether new or used, they look essentially like they did when he got them, so Dylan doesn’t really seem to care at this point. These guys are skiing mostly powder/soft snow/good coverage and splitting the use between 2 to 3 pairs of skis, so even with 30 to 40 days or so a season, the skis just aren’t getting that worn out. Like most people, I’m sure Dylan would love to have brand new skis that nobody else has ever used before to call his own, but at least on a minimal level, he gets it that it’s a waste of money and resources to do that, and it’s especially hard for him to complain when he’s getting kick ass gear in great condition anyway.

As far as gear costs go, I consider them pretty minimal, even having to buy some brand new gear and with each boy having a pair of all around alpine skis, a pair of Telemark skis, and in Ty’s case a pair of powder skis. We buy all the standard alpine stuff at swaps, so we’re generally talking $50-$100 for even decent performance skis, and half that for boots. When one divides those numbers by four years of use, it’s really not much on a per year basis. The reason we have to get some things new is because little kids Telemark gear and powder gear isn’t really available at the swaps, even here where it’s sort of a ski swap Mecca. Still, even buying new, kid’s gear is ridiculously cheap relative to adult equipment. Ty’s new Gotamas, which seem to be one of the hottest rockered soft snow skis available for kids, were still only about $300 including bindings and mounting. Divide that out by four years (although I think we may be looking at even a bit longer in this case with the way their Telemark boots are fitting) and we’re talking the price of a day ticket per season. I’m assuming racing gear costs more, but as the boys aren’t into that, it hasn’t been an issue yet. I guess we’d deal with that if things go that way. We’re finding that tuning costs have also been minimal so far. With the snow the boys are skiing, the number of days, and again splitting it out among multiple pairs of skis, I’m finding that I’ve only been doing a tune after two years when the skis are being handed over to Dylan. Even if they haven’t quite needed it, it seems like the least we can do since he is getting hand me downs.

Costs will undoubtedly go up as the boys get older, but going with season’s passes and not needing to travel all around to check out a bunch of different areas makes it pretty economical and really helps to alleviate concerns about gear costs. For about $1,000, the whole family has unlimited access to Bolton and not quite unlimited access to Stowe for the season. I’m sure there are families that could easily spend that for just a week of skiing somewhere. Heck, just the flight for the four of us to head out to the Western U.S. would probably cost more than that unless we found some really good deals. At this point, even though the boys are now at the stage of endurance where they could handle a multi-day trip, it hasn’t seemed worth it to double, triple, or whatever, our ski costs to make a long-distance ski vacation, especially when the specter of spending the money to travel to worse conditions is always out there. It’s exciting to see new and different terrain, but I hate spending money to go to lackluster conditions when there are often better conditions at home that cost nothing. It wasn’t as bad when all it cost me was a few hundred bucks for a plane ticket, some lift tickets and some shared or free lodging, but it’s a lot bigger risk and hassle now. The only real way to get around that is to do spur of the moment stuff, and I’m not sure how practical that is with the whole family. So far, the boys haven’t inquired about going on a big trip, so fortunately we haven’t had to concern ourselves with it just yet.

We've had a few L.A. vs. Vermont debates here, but of course it depends upon what aspect of skiing you're talking about. In terms of raising kids it's no contest. The progress Ty and Dylan have made is mostly due to JSpin's dedication. But the local cheap access to Bolton has been nearly ideal at the younger ages when you want to get a large number of days in at 2-3 hours per day. And kids aren't that likely to have the travel bug if the quality of the home turf is good enough of the time.

The above post also shows the value of being in a ski community with easy access to used kids' gear. Even 15-20 years ago it was hard to find high performance kids' gear in SoCal. With the current local dominance of snowboarding it's next to impossible now.

JSpin":8j9iet1y said:
I’m assuming racing gear costs more, but as the boys aren’t into that
Not sure they ever will be; they sound like powder junkies already. We may be hearing from them in big mountain comps eventually though.

Back