Vermont Snow Updates 2010-11

I believe that the value of FTO and ski blogs in general is that they are independent, from the point of view of the consumer not the ski areas. They should "tell it like it is", not through "rose colored glasses." Admin is candid when he thinks Utah conditions are not up to snuff, and I certainly report here when Mammoth or SoCal conditions are not great either. I also reported when a week in British Columbia in 2005 was a complete disaster, as opposed to the delights Powderqueen recently enjoyed.

Some of the easterners do seem defensive and inclined to gloss over the times when conditions aren't great (though Patrick is quite candid about the Ottawa local ski areas). JSpin is a scientist and reports snow data in meticulous detail beyond even the level of my usual interest. He has an official weather station in his back yard that is checked multiple times per day. I'm sure he knows exactly how often it rains there, and when rain changes to snow and vice versa. So it strikes me as strange that he chooses not to report that info here.

None of the above would affect my opinion in any way regarding JSpin's:
1) Documentation of Northern Vermont's ample powder, and his skill at getting the most of it.
2) Outstanding photographic skill, or
3) The most impressive job of teaching kids to ski that I've seen personally.

Given the fact that most of the EC hardcores aren't posting reports here anymore -- because they moved west, are now on more specialized sites, or are MIA for whatever reason -- I think that Tony shouldn't look JSpin's gift horse so closely in the mouth.

As far as the "defensive easterners who gloss over bad conditions" comment (I can guess whom Tony's referring to), I would posit that most of us are very cognizant of when it sucks here and comment accordingly.

I'm not overly interested in the fight part, but this instead:

jamesdeluxe":3nnxyosh said:
Given the fact that most of the EC hardcores aren't posting reports here anymore -- because they moved west, are now on more specialized sites, or are MIA for whatever reason

What the heck happened to all the EC reports... Most of the EC skiers seem to end up posting Western reports a couple times a year lately without many EC TR's. And yeah a few EC posters went off to Harvey's blog, but it seems quite random which of those get cross posted here on FTO... (or is it that more than I think went over to the blog?). Just seems odd the last couple of years with the number of EC TR's. Mostly just curious...

Tony Crocker":yzkf23xd said:
JSpin is a scientist and reports snow data in meticulous detail beyond even the level of my usual interest. He has an official weather station in his back yard that is checked multiple times per day. I'm sure he knows exactly how often it rains there, and when rain changes to snow and vice versa. So it strikes me as strange that he chooses not to report that info here.
That info is frequently reported here, and even from the mountains when I’m out there, several examples from this very thread are below:

“I've added in my EasternUSwx observations posts from last night and this morning for reference below. We had another 0.31 inches of liquid precipitation overnight, which was presumably snow in the higher elevations (Mt. Mansfield is currently at 30 F at 3,950'), and it is still raining, but no doubt the snow level has been rising based on what I've seen down here, so the skiing should certainly be done sooner rather than later. Bolton Valley at 2,100' is already 34 -35 F.”

“Once the snowfall slowed down yesterday evening at around 10:00 P.M., the precipitation gradually changed over to all rain, and glimpses of the projection thermometer during the night revealed that the temperature just kept rising from the lowest readings in the 33 F – 34 F range during the snow. At 7:00 A.M. this morning the temperature was 41 F and the precipitation was light rain. A few observations are below:”

“We actually got accumulating snow down into some of the lowest valleys again, with 0.7 inches of snow here at the house. We had snow here early on Saturday morning, which changed over to rain during the daylight hours, and then we went back to snow on Sunday. The precipitation was pretty much snow from there on out. It snowed almost continuously for the next couple of days, although it was just a bit too warm to accumulate much in the lower valleys. At the Mt. Mansfield stake they did record 34.1 inches of snow for the month of October, and set October records for both snowfall and rainfall. As of yesterday there were 10 inches of snow at the stake.”

“In the 2:00 P.M. to 3:00 P.M. range the snow started to change over to rain, so we decided to head out and relieve my mom from babysitting duty instead of catching the last part of the day. At that point it was 37 F at the base of the mountain, but 35 F when we got back to the house. We’d actually picked up a couple inches of new snow at the house as well.

“We did get some rain overnight, but it didn’t seem to do much to the snowpack in the mountains. Fortunately it looks like we’ve got another week like last week in terms of snowfall around here. It’s currently snowing, and the BTV NWS guys are talking about another round of measuring feet of new snow.”

“I'm still finishing up my report, but we skied the Bolton Nordic/backcountry network on Saturday and the base was in great shape (we were in the 2,000' to 2,700 elevation range). We skinned up the Bryant trail to the cabin, and saw a couple small streams with running water off to the sides of the trail, but that was it. The natural snowpack in there was a couple of feet deep, and didn’t seem to be going anywhere, it’s just that the snow was wet so it wasn’t powder and wasn’t all that much fun to ski. Rain wasn’t really an issue with this event (we had a tenth of an inch at the house) so that’s presumably why the streams didn’t open up. It was just warm, so any areas where the snowpack was thin due to traffic or wind opened up. It was the on piste areas with exclusively natural snow that needed to be closed. The mountains did get about a half foot of new snow today, and I can see in Bolton’s report that they have been dropping ropes on additional trails.”

People need to remember several things about my posts in this thread, and these factors should provide some perspective:

1. The meticulously-detailed weather analyses of which Tony speaks are rarely posted here anymore. I used to put there in here, but I believe it was established a while ago that the information in those wasn’t very useful to the typical skier. Those are all freely available at Americanwx.com in the Northern New England thread.

2. Aside from grabbing the snow totals for the ski areas throughout the state (which are easily available through SkiVermont.com or the ski area websites), I don’t follow what’s going with the weather outside the northern part of Vermont. I get some weather information about our broader area in the NNE thread at Americanwx.com, but the most frequent Vermont posters there are all clustered right around our area. One can open up the map made by “eekuasepinniW” and click at the top of it to display where the NNE members are located. The BTV office of the NWS doesn’t even cover the southern two counties of the state, so I’m really not up on the specifics of what happens there with each event.

3. Aside from checking my gauge and reporting in to CoCoRaHS, if rain is a substantial part of the precipitation around here, and is to the point where it is even affecting the mountains, then I’m probably not skiing. In these situations I get a break from the slopes, a break from constant snow measuring and core sampling, and a break from having to continually write up observations and comments. At that point I’m putting as little effort as possible into any of that stuff until such time as the weather changes to make the ski conditions great again. Not surprisingly, once that happens the talk will likely be about snow.

4. As was already highlighted in this thread by berkshireskier, Northern VT (along with northern NY, NH, and ME) is a different climate zone than places farther to the south, even Southern Vermont. While rain happens, storms that are exclusively rain are pretty infrequent, so there’s almost always some powder to talk about with each storm, whether on the front end, back end, both ends, or whatever. Even with the really crappy weather pattern that the Northeast is currently in with regard to snow, the northern half to one third of the state is pulling out some great powder days like Sunday. I’m not likely to talk about mysterious green radar blobs passing through the southern half of the state in general, but especially when there’s powder to be discussed up here.

So yes, mixed precipitation and rain do get mentioned in my updates as the examples from above indicate, but they are mostly in the context of my own experiences. I’m not sure I get paid enough yet to really spend time discussing rain events that don’t interest me, as much as I know it might be helpful to Tony’s analyses. For the most part this topic comes up when folks who don’t even ski in this part of the country or contribute routinely to the thread, suddenly gain a keen interest in comprehensive weather coverage of the region and pop in to inquire about the deficiency. These inquiries have always seemed rather suspicious.

-J

Tony Crocker":vy12c01b said:
I believe that the value of FTO and ski blogs in general is that they are independent, from the point of view of the consumer not the ski areas. They should "tell it like it is", not through "rose colored glasses."

Just for the record, I believe my own reports are accurate. If you read the TR I posted on Harvey Road the day before I posted Harv's Disclaimer, it included phrases like ... crust busting ... borderline bulletproof ... cover that is getting thinner by the minute ... a mixture of packed snow, crust with a few inches of powder on top, rocks, and twigs ... too thin.

I finished that blog entry like this:

Summary: No significant new snow to speak of during the day. (Had maybe an inch last night.) A few guns here and there plus morningtime blowing on Uncas. Surprising continued lack of snowmaking, and all KINDS of rumors about why. We need new snow. There is some in the forecast, but it doesn't look like enough. I've got to be honest, I STILL had a great time today but based on conversations I heard, I could tell that people were not having the fun that I was...

And as usual the post from was also laced with enthusiasm for the day. I got a bunch of flak for "misreporting the facts" so I posted Harv's Disclaimer. The point of the disclaimer is this - if you really want conditions info from Harvey Road, read the entries, and tune out the enthusiasm.

My point is this: we all write for different reasons. Jspin's comment about "how much he's being paid" is at the heart of the matter. We invest our time writing and taking pictures because we get some enjoyment out of it. Without that enjoyment, none of this content would exist, as few, if any, are getting paid to post.

I think of a blog as a vehicle for story telling - it's a one way thing. A forum is more like a conversation that can (should!) be more free form, flowing in all directions. In my opinion, conversation loses something if one person is imposes his/her judgment on what constitutes a valuable contribution.

IMO You can't have it both ways. If you believe that the "value of FTO and ski blogs in general is that they are independent..." then you have to let FTO contributors and ski bloggers speak their minds freely. Writers define what they think is important by the subjects they choose. If you want a pure conditions forum, set it up, and delete any inappropriate content. As far as I can tell, if it relates to skiing in the East, it's on topic in this forum.

Sorry for the major thread drift.

jamesdeluxe":10i9sj7t said:
Given the fact that most of the EC hardcores aren't posting reports here anymore -- because they moved west, are now on more specialized sites, or are MIA for whatever reason

yup, yup, and yup. the intertoob world has really blown up. so many sites, so little time. i've been bouncing between 4 or so lately, but am starting to scale back a bit. since most of my skiing is away from the lifts, and spent in high places of nh where very few folks would even consider skiing in winter months, there's really no point in sharing much cept for on a site where folks are of a similar mindset and interest. i have pretty much zero interest in vermont skiing, but i do like checking in on what jspin has to report. and others here. FTO is the 1st site i ever signed up for, and one that is clean and neat. i will post stuff on here if i have anything that i deem worthy of sharing.

i do enjoy visiting on pretty much a daily basis.

rog

Harvey44":3ahek5ni said:
I've noticed that Jspin does seem to be turning his site into more or a blog (Is it Wordpress?) so maybe that's the way to go with it. Maybe he should just link back to it, instead of putting considerable effort to cross post. Personally I really like this thread, and will follow it as long as Jspin posts it.
As you surmised, our website format is WordPress now. We started using WordPress for our department about a year ago, so I got a lot of training on that as part of the website development team. One of our other faculty is an expert in it, and his wife is a web designer that uses it extensively as well, so there’s good local support available. However, unless one wants to get really fancy with it, there’s not much to it. I’ve been planning to get a WordPress setup going on our website for a while, and was thinking about doing it this summer as skiing and weather wound down, but as the traffic here in the Eastern Forum has really fallen off over the past couple of months, I’ve contemplated starting it earlier. The season had been decent up through January, even though we had been missing out on all the synoptic storms, but the past six weeks have been quite good as we finally started to get hit and build base depths. With the conditions going off at times and traffic in the forum/VT snow thread still staying so low, it seemed like as good a time as any. As was mentioned already, it seems a lot of people, even several from here, have gone the blog route. It was actually very simple to get WordPress going; I called up GoDaddy to see what it entailed, but in the end all I had to do was click a button on their website to make an install, and… presto, I went to our page on the web and it was a WordPress blog. It should work out fine for archiving the types of weather and ski updates I generate.

Harvey44":94t1bh2n said:
Maybe he should just link back to it, instead of putting considerable effort to cross post.
+1

There is a small, but ardent group of JSpin fans on FTO, so just post a few pix here with a link back to your site, and everyone's happy.

I much prefer the forum entries compared to personal Blogs. It seems to me that almost everyone has a blog, and most aren't ever read or worth reading. I don't care if someone has a blog, but I hate it when people just put up a link to thier blog on the forum rather than do a proper TR. Forums are much better for trip reports imho as they are communal. If someone does link to their blog they should at least put a few photos and a couple of paragraphs here.

rfarren":2c6yzpiq said:
I much prefer the forum entries compared to personal Blogs. It seems to me that almost everyone has a blog, and most aren't ever read or worth reading. I don't care if someone has a blog, but I hate it when people just put up a link to thier blog on the forum rather than do a proper TR. Forums are much better for trip reports imho as they are communal. If someone does link to their blog they should at least put a few photos and a couple of paragraphs here.
What started this recent discussion is the fact that JSpin continues to provide quite a bit more than a few photos and a couple paragraphs to the FTO East Forum, but was told by another member that it wasn't sufficient. For the record, I understand both parties' points of view, and agree that FTO's national forums have a lot of value. I really like that people here aren't only familiar with their own little corners of the ski universe.

The thing is -- there has been a steady migration away from the forum, for the reasons listed above. Unless there's a massive die-off of personal blogs, which may eventually happen, the current landscape is what it is. Personally, I don't have the time, energy, or patience to run my own website/blog, but a lot of people like being able to control their own content.

rfarren":1tb4hcrc said:
It seems to me that almost everyone has a blog, and most aren't ever read or worth reading.
No one is asking you to read anything. I don't why other people do it, but I do it to keep my stuff all in one place which is easy to access and search. I've written on a few forums and some stuff has been dropped, deleted or moved around so much over time (tx Guido that FTO isn't like that). Like JSpin, my blog is a personal diary of my Winter. I don't care if I post something without pictures or 3 months later...I do it for myself. My blog is also easier for friend that want to read about my South American Ski Trip without having to search or look on the forums or deal all the second guessing why I return to Bariloche or how it's not worth it from the peanut gallery.

rfarren":1tb4hcrc said:
I don't care if someone has a blog, but I hate it when people just put up a link to thier blog on the forum rather than do a proper TR. Forums are much better for trip reports imho as they are communal. If someone does link to their blog they should at least put a few photos and a couple of paragraphs here.

I've crossposted the entire text of my TRs minus the links and pictures. Crossposting an entire TRs with links/pics takes time. Regarding this point, I think James is right on...

jamesdeluxe":1tb4hcrc said:
What started this recent discussion is the fact that JSpin continues to provide quite a bit more than a few photos and a couple paragraphs to the FTO East Forum, but was told by another member that it wasn't sufficient. For the record, I understand both parties' points of view, and agree that FTO's national forums have a lot of value. I really like that people here aren't only familiar with their own little corners of the ski universe.

I think James is batting 1.000 with the following statement.

jamesdeluxe":1tb4hcrc said:
but a lot of people like being able to control their own content.

jamesdeluxe":165l48kd said:
I think that Tony shouldn't look JSpin's gift horse so closely in the mouth.
I agree it's an extremely valuable resource. Criticism was entirely constructive. It is ultimately my responsibility to gather the info I think is important, and of course it's easier if it's just a few sources instead of many. The more I ski, the more difficult it is to spend time gathering info on a timely basis, and those of you who have been reading my reports since January know that I've been traveling a lot in the past 2 months.

My "rose colored glasses" comment was not directed at a specific post, but was prompted by someone else's reference to Harvey's blog. I do not read that blog on a routine basis, but I've seen enough (such as his interviews with Gore management) to be impressed with its professionalism and in fact have recommended that Harvey join ESWA (the eastern branch of NASJA).

I do think some easterners are defensive and gloss over conditions. However I am reminded by JSpin's comments that when skiing is not good, he catches up on other things (pretty sensible!). There's no question that his posts are very labor intensive, and he's going to be more inclined to do that when he's actually skiing.

rfarren":165l48kd said:
I much prefer the forum entries compared to personal Blogs. It seems to me that almost everyone has a blog, and most aren't ever read or worth reading. I don't care if someone has a blog, but I hate it when people just put up a link to their blog on the forum rather than do a proper TR. Forums are much better for trip reports imho as they are communal. If someone does link to their blog they should at least put a few photos and a couple of paragraphs here.
I agree absolutely with the sentiment expressed here. Forum trip reports will reach a wider audience and they are interactive so interested readers can ask questions, get more info, etc. I will dissent mildly from the "link to their blog" comment. First, it's better to have a linked trip report on FTO than no trip report so I don't have to spend time searching sites that have some but not many reports that may interest me. Secondly, some blogs like Harvey's are influential within their region and logically the primary TR from a NY State report should probably be there with links posted to other forums.
Patrick":165l48kd said:
Crossposting an entire TRs with links/pics takes time.
I agree. All of my primary trip reports are here on FTO. I have fairly frequently posted links to my FTO reports on Epic and Mammoth forums. Sometimes like Patrick I will include a few pertinent comments on the "other" forum summarizing points and hopefully encouraging readers to go to my link because of its relevance to the particular thread. However, I believe the "primary trip report" should be in the most logical place that will attract/interest the most readers. I do not think it makes sense for a primary trip report from Interior British Columbia to be posted on a NY State forum instead of a national (U.S. or Canadian) forum.

jamesdeluxe":165l48kd said:
but a lot of people like being able to control their own content.
This is a tough call. It is very difficult to build an audience from scratch. I don't know how much traffic my http://bestsnow.net website gets, but I suspect it's a tiny fraction of the readership of my posts on FTO, Epic and Mammoth forums. http://bestsnow.net does require my direct control, as does some of the skiing history stuff Patrick has been working on. But if you're mainly doing trip reports, I think you'll have the most impact doing them on an established forum.

Noticed that the Mansfield stake is still at 90", good sign as the recent warm weather has not had a big impact in terms of snow loss at the higher elevations. The stake had maxed out at about 92" so the loss is minimal compared to the loss of snow below 1500' and in valley locations that occured this week. THe return of cold air will delay the melting process ,however should be hard as a rock today. Will keep a eye on this as like to make another cross border run into Northern vt.

Anthony":3usr4jv7 said:
Noticed that the Mansfield stake is still at 90", good sign as the recent warm weather has not had a big impact in terms of snow loss at the higher elevations. The stake had maxed out at about 92" so the loss is minimal compared to the loss of snow below 1500' and in valley locations that occurred this week. The return of cold air will delay the melting process, however should be hard as a rock today. Will keep a eye on this as like to make another cross border run into Northern VT.
Snowpack at the stake is in nice shape as you indicated, it should certanly be past 90" today and there might even be a new max for the season with the recent snows. I think temperatures up at Bolton were expected to be in the 20s F on Saturday, so I doubt I would have hit the high country for turns if we’d been free, but we were down fairly low at around 1,300’ at my cousin’s place in Barton for the Vermont Maple Open House Weekend. South-facing aspects in the sun had snow that wasn’t quite winter or spring, but it was actually pretty nice for turns:

19MAR11C.jpg

Presumably Sunday was a bit warmer, because we were at Spruce in the sun and it was corn snow top to bottom:

20MAR11H.jpg

The full reports and pictures from the weekend can be accessed at J&E Productions.

It’s back to winter with last night’s storm, which dropped a pretty decent shot of snow in the Bolton-Stowe area and Powderfreak said Stowe was quite nice today. I added the Vermont snow totals for the storm into the J&E Productions blog, so folks can go there to check out the weather stuff in case there was some controversial rain down south that I haven’t researched.

J.Spin":9vwxijos said:
folks can go there to check out the weather stuff in case there was some controversial rain down south that I haven’t researched.
:lol:

The overnight precip was snow all the way to NJ, so no worries.

Watched the weather the last few days and noticed Northern VT picked up snow over the last few days , ending with about 8" to 10 " at Jay on Saturday ( March 26 ) . With this forecast took a chance and headed to Jay today to see what was left from the Saturday snow . Jay peak was still in great shape today with mid winter conditions of loose snow , packed powder and even some left over powder in certain areas. The wind was cranking away ( somethings never change ) closing the Tram and the Flyer(Which opened after 12.00 ). With these lifts closed we took the Bonaventure and hiked to the Tram Station Summit . Nice having the the place to yourself . Took the small staircase up to the top ridge then traversed the top and headed down the chutes east of the Tram Station . Nice deep snow in this steep area that lasted with the tram closed . We also took some nice runs through the Beaver Pond Area that also held up well with the flyer closed. While hiking noticed that Big Jay looked great. in contrast the snow did not hold up as well in the Jet Triple Area as with the lift closures the majority of skiers /Boarders were concentrated in this area. Nice to have a mid winter day this late in the season . Will work on getting some pics up.

Attachments

• J2.jpg
    J2.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 8,226
  • J 1.jpg
    J 1.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 8,243
Nice to have a mid winter day this late in the season

Bang on regarding the mid-winter conditions! I stopped at Stowe last Friday (2011-03-25 - 1/2 price ski & ride with The Point) on my way back from what was supposed to be some spring skiing in New Hampshire. It had snowed 1" at the hill the night before and was snowing throughout the day. (Hopefully my attempt at attaching my picture works - it's Starr looking up towards the top.) The bumps on Starr were topped with soft unpacked snow with icy patches in between at the steepest sections. Chin clip was fantastic - not icy at all. Would have liked to do more bump runs but after 4 days of skiing (Jay, Waterville Valley, Cannon, Stowe) my 300' vertical trained Ontario thighs were starting to give up the ghost. Every one of the aforementioned mountains were in mid-season form with no lift lines. With a forecast of sun all the coming week it appears my spring trip was a week too early. Those lucky enough to get out over the next few weeks should enjoy some amazing spring skiing.

Attachments

• IMG_4805 (Large).JPG
    IMG_4805 (Large).JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 8,232
Anthony":2bvv869h said:
Nice to have a mid winter day this late in the season .
I've just been updating my chart, and this is the 4th year out of the 12 I've tracked with winter conditions in Northern Vermont the last weekend in March. Once you get into April it becomes distinctly rarer, similar to here in SoCal. April 2007 was the conspicuous exception, better than most winter months for powder in the Northeast. At any rate, this season is definitely above average for Northern Vermont snow conditions with 9 "A" weekends vs. prior 11 year average of 6.2. The rain/thaw events have been less severe, not cutting into trail counts much, and only affecting one weekend per month.

jamesdeluxe":2poizt4z said:
How do you distinguish a mid-winter "A" day from a spring one?
I like spring days better than winter days on the EC it's nearly always a softer surface, and a heck of a lot more comfortable weather wise.

Back