Mount Spokane, WA 03/06/13

jamesdeluxe

Administrator
Thanks to the three-hour time difference, we were able to kick off our week in the Inland Northwest with an afternoon visit to Mount Spokane, a nonprofit ski area less than an hour from the airport. It offers locals a good-sized mountain (reported 2,000 verts) with surprisingly interesting terrain, reasonable season pass rates, and night skiing -- allowing residents to cruise up for a quick fix of legitimate turns without a long drive.

The existing trail maps pasted below do a poor job of conveying the scale of the terrain. Reportedly, James Niehues has been commissioned to paint a new map.

Mount_Spokane_1.jpg

Mount_Spokane_2.jpg

The skies were blue on the drive up, but a few minutes before arriving, we drove into a storm that was circling the mountain, which significantly reduced visibility. After every lift ride, we were covered in snow:
011.JPG

For lift freaks, Mount Spokane operates five nicely maintained Riblet chairs from the late 60s, which is appropriate because the company was headquartered in Spokane. I like the yellow paint job on this one.
010.JPG

005.JPG

012.JPG

014.JPG

013.JPG

006.JPG

Gliding into some nicely spaced trees:
007.JPG

A fellow Volant skier. These are several years older than mine:
015.JPG

A couple weeks ago, the ski area went public with its plans to purchase the Alpine Chair from fellow nonprofit mountain Bridger Bowl (yes, another Riblet double), move it to Mount Spokane's back side, and rechristen it as the Red Chair in time for the 2014-15 season. The lift will open cover 1,600 vertical feet and access 80 acres of new terrain, including seven cut runs and additional tree skiing. Not to be cynical, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Last edited:
I'm not sure whether it was Mt. Spokane or 49 Degrees North that Al Solish and I checked out on the way to Spokane airport at the end of the ill-fated Tropical Punch trip of 2005. Whichever one it was, it was half dirt and marginal during that miserable season up there, so we did not ski.

Back