13-14 Trips or Passes - Who's Locked Themselves In

admin":3bamyggu said:
Hey Tony, how's Mammoth?
Far from worth the trip yet. Chair 2 opened today but only the Mambo run to it. Pics of the Face of 3 and Cornice from Mammoth Snowman show there's a long way to go. It's likely we'll be skiing the WROD somewhere in SoCal before we go to Mammoth. Mt. High opened its WROD today; the scene there probably rivals A-Basin's opening last month. No confirmed opening date for Big Bear yet. Baldy got 4-5 inches, so nothing to get excited about there.

It's been an interesting weather pattern this month. Somehow most of the inland western areas have above average snow while the coastal areas are below average. The storm that dropped 4-12 inches in the SoCal mountains dropped 17 at Arizona Snowbowl and Taos, and 37 inches at Wolf Creek.

Marc_C":z61iwj7o said:
Tony Crocker":z61iwj7o said:
Since this happened last year too, perhaps one could plan to have just a couple days left going into December rather than more than a week.
I certainly can't speak for Admin's day job company, but in some organizations, you cannot take vacation days until you accrue them.

Some of us also like to keep our vacation balance maxed out as a 'just-in-case' something catastrophic happens with our job. I'm allowed to carry over 200 hours of paid time off. I had some years I was working a huge amount of hours so my days off were comp time instead of using my vacation time. That created the 200 hour paid time off bank. If something horrible happens, 5 weeks of pay is a pretty good cushion. Most years, I end up with 5 or 6 days I've accrued in the fall that I have to burn at Christmas. This year, I have 8 days I have to take.

Wow. Things are looking good in the Deluxe household. Two Euro trips in back to back years.

EMSC":1vi1okat said:
Wow. Things are looking good in the Deluxe household. Two Euro trips in back to back years.

Mr. Deluxe is giving some insight into the FTO editorial calendar. It's a press trip.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

Admin":2z05qwid said:
It's a press trip.
I look forward to posting my first article on the new graphic interface. While in SLC last week, I heard rumors about Admin's new software upgrade that allows users to smell the French food at my restaurant table. God knows I'm still suffering from the sushi pix that were sent to me after I was a no-show at Suehiro.

As some of you know, I have the Mammoth Premier MVP and Liz has the Mountain Collective. Its first utilization for 2013-14 will be at Aspen Jan. 1-7, not what I would have predicted when Liz got her Mountain Collective last March.

I think this is another illustration of why the Mountain Collective is great deal. In addition the overall quality of the ski areas being a cut above those on the Epic Pass, there's a lot of geographic diversity to increase the odds that at least one of the destinations will have a fast start. Whistler and AltaBird are the usual suspects here, but this year Snowbird and Whistler are lagging so far. I had been hoping to put in some time at Squaw/Alpine, where I have not skied since 2002, but it may be quite a while before it's worth doing that.

Flying into Spokane on February 26 and out on March 3. We're going to play it by ear, most likely skiing Whitewater, Red and maybe Schweitzer or 49 Degrees North. If conditions are right we might drive as far as Fernie, likely also skiing Whitefish.

flyover":3tzklhz8 said:
Flying into Spokane on February 26 and out on March 3. We're going to play it by ear, most likely skiing Whitewater, Red and maybe Schweitzer or 49 Degrees North. If conditions are right we might drive as far as Fernie, likely also skiing Whitefish.

I hit Schweitzer in the middle of a great storm cycle. Place was dead and amazing. I literally got 10 laps on the Great escape lift before 11am, all untracked.

Yes, Schweitzer midweek is very non-competitive, as I enjoyed with NASJA in Feb. 2012. At the moment it's reported fully open but not with its usual amount of snow. Whitefish has had nearly twice as much, now has a 37-69 inch base coming off a big powder weekend. A similar relationship holds in Canada, with lots of snow at Fernie and Whitewater and not so much at Red.

socal":3ftdfjh6 said:
flyover":3ftdfjh6 said:

I hit Schweitzer in the middle of a great storm cycle. Place was dead and amazing. I literally got 10 laps on the Great escape lift before 11am, all untracked.

Thanks. A friend and I skied Schweitzer on a Sunday last March on our way back to Spokane from Nelson. Curiosity and eastern tree skiing attitudes/skills led us to significant stretches of untracked powder days after the last storm. I was impressed.

flyover":3p16of3h said:
Flying into Spokane on February 26 and out on March 3.
I am now flying into Spokane February 19 and out March 3. Liz is unlikely available much of February, so this schedule gets me to my cat skiing Feb. 22-24 with some extra time on the back end while leaving the first half of February open for events in Utah to which I can drive.

At the start I will probably spend Feb. 20 at Red (or Whitewater if Red is not good), then drive to my pickup west of Revelstoke Feb. 21. Tentative plan is to exit east to Kicking Horse, then south to Fernie/Castle/Whitefish. That's where the most snow is now, but with a car I can be flexible if it's different when I get up there.

I locked into a trip to New England a couple months ago to accompany my son for his PSIA Level III skiing exam on 3/19 and 20 at Hunter Mtn. Unfortunately, they may get a messy rain/snow mix from Winter Storm Vulcan on 3/13. But before and after we're spending time at Sugarloaf and Whiteface which I believe are on the upside of the line for a foot or two of snow. Better to be lucky than good:)

Back