3 days in SLC, where to ski/snowboard

crispi

Hi all,

I'll be in SLC for three days at the end of the month and wonder which mountains you would recommend?

Thanks,
Bob

crispi":pdf4krie said:
I'll be in SLC for three days at the end of the month and wonder which mountains you would recommend?
Perhaps if we knew more about what you're looking for in a ski area, the kind of terrain you like to slide on, is excellent food a priority, does altitude bother you, etc. we could provide more relevant suggestions.

For starters, ski or board? Two of the three US areas that do not allow snowboards are SLC areas.

Hi Marc,

I thought of that after I typed that up. It'll be two snowboarders and one skier(me). I've been out there a number of times and typically go to Snowbird/Alta, but I'd like to mix it up a bit. We're all pretty good skiers and always look for a challenge where ever we are.

Are SnowBasin or Powder Mountain worth the drive?

Thanks,
Bob

Snowbasin is very much worth it. There may not even be an extra drive, depending on where you're staying in SLC. Especially if you consider possibility of traffic in the Cottonwood canyons... well, LCC really -- but we don't say that around here.

However, I was at Snowbasin yesterday and conditions are the worst I've seen this far into the season. Basically, groomers are in great shape but anything beyond that is very sketchy -- covered but not enough of a base. 3 weeks out, that will very likely change. It just needs one good storm.

I would second the recommendation for Snowbasin, with the caveat that it still needs some base-building snow before you get here. Powder Mt. too; it gets more snow than Snowbasin but the reality is only about 20% more. If you get lucky with a storm during your trip, chose wherever you like best for the first day, but Powder Mt. will still have plenty on the second day after a storm. If storm totals are equal in LCC vs. BCC and it's a busy weekend you may want to consider Solitude for a less competitive environment.

Absolutely Snowbasin, it will be fully open by then....

Nobody mentions The Canyons, in my opinion the best of the PC areas. Big, varied, and the cool town!

Thanks. I was going to ask about the Canyons too. I've been to PCMR and thought that it was pretty tame compared to Alta and Snowbird. How do Canyons and Snowbasin compare to LCC areas?

Both are rather tame by comparison, to use your term. Both are home to long groomers, especially Snowbasin - hence gpaul's affinity.

Snowbasin's strength for expert skiers is in the John Paul area and the Mt. Ogden Chutes, both in bounds and the latter on the rare days that they're open, and out of bounds beyond No Name if your snow safety skills are up to snuff. Elsewhere in bounds Snowbasin's series of ridges and gullies in the center of the resort can hide fun lines of you're willing to search them out. As others have said they've had a slow start this winter, but hopefully that will change by the time you arrive.

The best expert terrain at Canyons is out of bounds in the sidecountry but again, you really need to know what you're doing as these areas are uncontrolled and very avalanche prone.

Both PCMR and Deer Valley get more natural snow than Canyons, which subsists largely on man made snow at its lower elevations and even in some of its upper elevations, especially at its northern end.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk 2

crispi":1dqg2b3f said:
I've been to PCMR and thought that it was pretty tame compared to Alta and Snowbird.

Agree. PCMR has steeps but most of the resort isn't and that's the impression it leaves -- long run-outs. Canyons is quite a bit better than that and not just out-of-bounds. So is Snowbasin. Not that it matters too much. Most people are not repeatedly hiking up to a chute on a 3-day ski trip, even if they are "experts". Even most locals aren't. Just look at Admin's photos. Does he look like he's auditioning for Warren Miller? What you want is decent pitch, good snow, reasonably challenging terrain -- that you can get to and figure your way out of. Canyons, Snowbasin, even Deer Valley and Sundance all have that. Alta has more of it more often but you'll have intense competition for it and a steeper learning curve.
Snowbasin, you can actually take one lift up and get 2,500 feet of mostly steep. And on a cold day, those gondolas make a huge difference.

Thanks guys. I didn't mean tame in a bad way, I just that I prefer the type of terrain that's offered in LCC. Don't get me wrong, I had fun at PCMR, but it was like being at Okemo or Stratton in VT. Great places, but not my cup of tea either.

Evren: I think you nailed the type riding we're looking for. Can't wait to get there and check out Snowbasin and/or Canyons.

Snowbasin, Snowbird & Canyons.
If there is a storm you have to carefully consider possibly only skiing the Cottonwood resorts. Substitute Solitude.
If it hasn't snowed recently then do Canyons & Snowbasin w/ Bird.
Solitude is worth it but smaller, but good with new snow.
Forget about Powder mtn until you do the other resorts. Save it for another trip.

If you go to Canyons, don't forget to pick up tickets at Costco. They have two-packs for $140, I think. Pretty much the best price.

Every place is much more fun after a storm but... I personally would skip Canyons if it hasn't snowed recently. Snowbasin is actually decent even without fresh snow. Something like the men's downhill course from 2002 will be fun even without freshies. And because it gets much lighter traffic, the groomers stay soft late into the day.

I know exactly what you mean about PCMR. I always think of it as an overgrown Eastern resort. You'll like Snowbasin. The upper part is like the Dolomites in Italy. Real proper mountain-like. Have a tomato-basil soup with all the trimmings at Jean Paul Lodge, looking out on all that and you'll feel like a million bucks.

Evren":35oeoz3y said:
Have a tomato-basil soup with all the trimmings at Jean Paul Lodge, looking out on all that and you'll feel like a million bucks.

Personally I wouldn't miss JPL's cioppino. And for apres ski there's the Shooting Star in Huntsville.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk 2

One other thing to consider if you're on the fence: Liftopia is selling Tue and Wed single day Snowbasin tickets for $35 for the next few weeks. Three people... it will add up.

I knew this was the place to come for good advice! Sounds like Snowbasin and the Bird are the way to go and the third place, or repeat trip will be decided based on snow.

I've been checking out liftopia, but not Costco. That's on my list now.

Thanks again. If you guys are planning to ski on 1/24-26 it would be great to hook up with you and buy you a reeb for your help.

Bob

admin":a7uq2uu6 said:
Both PCMR and Deer Valley get more natural snow than Canyons, which subsists largely on man made snow at its lower elevations and even in some of its upper elevations, especially at its northern end.
+1 IMHO this means do not choose the Canyons for your day in the Park City group during a below average snow year, which is the case for those areas so far. I would suspect coverage is currently marginal on south facing terrain at the Canyons.
crispi":a7uq2uu6 said:
I prefer the type of terrain that's offered in LCC. Don't get me wrong, I had fun at PCMR, but it was like being at Okemo or Stratton
Jupiter Bowl is most of that type terrain among the Park City group. Deer Valley groomers have better fall lines than PCMR, but that would still be trail skiing. The Daly Chutes would give you a limited amount of what you like. Maybe you should take that 3rd day at Alta and drop your boarder friends for another day at Snowbird.

Well. Three great days in Utah! 2@ Snowbird, 1@ Snowbasin(Including a bowl of Cioppino).

What a blast. Thursday at Snowbird was spent lapping the bookend traverse and the trees off Gad#?, the lookers left most chair. The snow probably wasn't as good as what locals would even go out for, but just under boot deep and un-tracked for the most part. Day two, more of the same with a bunch of laps off the Peruvian side. Visibility was awful both Thurs. and Fri. with dense fog and/or clouds, but we made the best of it and skied until the lifts closed. We actually got swept off the mountain by patrol in Lone Pine on Friday during the nightly sweep.

Day 3 was at Snowbasin. I definitely wasn't ready for this place. I felt like that Baby Ruth bar in Caddy Shack. They must have the nicest, fanciest, pick a term, lodges in the country. What a beautiful place. We started on the Strawberry side where the snow was a bit of a bummer. Pretty stiff breakable crust on top of crust for the most part. The snow improved a lot over near the Porcupine lift on the North-ish facing runs, especially up on Powderhound Bowl. We hiked up a bit and got a couple of really fun runs up in there. Then, at lunch, we headed up to the John Paul Lodge for some of that delicious Cioppino. Definitely a good call on that. After lunch we made a few laps on the Men's Downhill, which had some sweet snow. It can definitely use another couple of feet of snow, but it was skiing really nicely. BTW - The back side off that tram looks sweet. Have any of you skied back there?

Back to reality today. Can't wait to get out there again soon.

Thanks for all of the great tips and recommendations.

Best,
Bob

Back