44"so far at Alta from this storm

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Still coming down too, although this should finally wind down this afternoon. Looking good for Friday's opening!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk 2

Even here in SLC it's been tough to keep up with the snow blower.

uploadfromtaptalk1352661140951.jpg

Sweet early season present for the Utards.

The storm totally wimped out by the time it got here... 5-7" was a typical storm total at the currently open ski resorts in Colo... Makes them pretty, but doesn't do much to get more terrain open.

The final tally was 54".

reefuss12":3dm4seze said:
I hope this snowpack is safer than the one this time last year. Be careful out there.

From today's avi advisory:

UAC":3dm4seze said:
Yesterday’s “in your face” avalanche activity presents a very clear pattern – all the north, northeasterly and northwesterly facing slopes, above about 9500’ are suspect. Most have a layer of weak, sugary old snow from October on the ground, and if the slope hasn’t slid yet, it could. Slides will be 2 to 4 feet deep, can be triggered remotely from a distance and from below, or by the third person on a slope, and will take out the entire snowpack to the ground. Widespread collapsing, or whumphing noises, are a huge warning sign that you are in an area with this old snow weak layer.

Recent Activity

The weak facets on the ground were active as expected yesterday, but I didn’t expect the shallow layer to be able to connect across terrain features as wide as the huge remotely triggered slide on north facing Sunset – a ¼ mile wide (10,400’, upper Big Cottonwood). There were 4 other slides breaking to the ground on the facets, 3 remotely triggered, with a person carried in 4th. They were 60’ to 100’ wide, all on northerly facing slopes, at 9700’ and above. (Upper Days, Patsy Marly, Sunset/Rocky point. Check out the details in “All The Good Stuff” ). Explosive control work at the Little Cottonwood resorts produced similar results of large avalanches breaking near the ground.

Back