A few pictures from Austria and Bavaria

jamesdeluxe":1bdo38o8 said:
I was telling Jason on the lift the other day that while everyone here dreams about moving to Utah or Jackson Hole or wherever, it's no contest for me -- the scale, the number of areas, skiing from village to village, the atmosphere.

Even if it means less frequent powder days... the Alps win.

I'm not so sure about the snow in the Alps, but the beer definitely has UT beat!

Thanks for posting that James! That was a very good read with some great pictures. I'll be down in the Ski Amade region in two weeks. I always have a good time down there. The guy that posted that had a dream trip. I've never been able to go on a ski vacation quite that long but would love to one of these days.

Tomorrow I'm off to Grosser Arber in Germany to test the knee. It felt fine with some light weights and light jogging this week so it should be okay to ski on. I'll be taking it pretty easy since I'll be with some intermediate skiers which is good. At least there should be some new powder to play in.

jamesdeluxe":2oubf9z9 said:
tirolerpeter":2oubf9z9 said:
I'm not so sure about the snow in the Alps

Earth to Peter:
http://tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109745

You did not quote me correctly. Don't stop at the comma. I said: "I'm not so sure about the snow in the Alps, but the beer definitely has UT beat."

The first clause was "tongue in cheek." The second clause about the beer was my point. I was born and lived in Austria, (near Innsbruck in the province of Tirol, ergo "Tirolerpeter") and been back for visits on three different trips since moving to the USA.

BTW, I have Austrian friends who have run a guest/ski house near the Oetztal for over thirty years, and there have been a number of winters when snow was late in coming, and even quite sparse.

Clearly, when the snow is good, the varied terrain and scenery is magnificent. Too bad our dollar is taking such a pounding against the Euro. Austria is definitely a great place to visit to ski, but also for food, beer, and music !

02-02-08 Grosser Arber, Northern Bavaria, Germany.

I wasn't expecting much from the conditions this day. The forecast said it was going to be overcast with snow showers and wind gust of up to 120 kmh. Upon arriving at Arber, I could see that the forecast was right on the money. On our first run down the mountain, I was really surprised at the lightness of the snow and the ease of skiing on piste. We were experiencing super glory conditions and it was fun. This made me curious about how the forested areas would stack up. I really didn't think there would be enough coverage off-piste to have fun, but I was completely wrong. My first run through the trees I was pretty tentative, kind of feeling things out. The snow was fantastic, however, with 6 to 10 inches of very fresh, light powder over hardpack. After that first run, I convinced my friend to follow me in on the next run. He was apprehensive as he had never boarded in trees and really had never skied true powder (East Coast - and not NE - boarder with only a couple of years under his belt). He was most concerned with running in to a stump or not being able to turn quickly enough around trees. However, after his first run, he was hooked. We skied the tree patches the rest of the day and even dragged his wife in for a couple of runs.

As we kept getting fresh lines run after run after run, I began to wonder why nobody else was skiing these areas. It wasn't until about 2pm that I noticed a sign at the bottom of the lift that said "Attention - if you're caught skiing in the forested areas you will have your pass pulled!" Oops :) Luckily, the presence of patrol over here is really lacking compared to the US and we just continued on with what we were doing. Some other skiers noticed us later in the day and followed suit - our secret was out.

Arber isn't a big mountain but it's fairly close to me and makes for an easy day trip. The mountain was shrouded in clouds all day long but it really didn't affect visibility in the trees.
2236455027_bc409423eb_o.jpg

My buddy coming out of the tight trees on top and in to a more open area
2236455449_e1b6956959_o.jpg

2236456129_0f6a09b855_o.jpg

There were some deeper patches of powder where it had drifted. We had a great time blasting through these
2236456309_719de59128_o.jpg

The trees near the top were great fun. Once you broke out of those you could really crank it up through the blowdown area.
2236459777_ebe88d206c_o.jpg

2237250996_54f7fbd0fe_o.jpg

Great day and some of the most fun skiing I've had this season! It was also fun watching my friend gain confidence in the trees and having so much fun. I think I've made a convert out of him and I now have somebody else to trek off piste with!

Got to watch it in those blowdown areas for hidden nasties, of course, but from your description it sounds like they were well-buried.

I wonder how well the "I only speak English" game would work there if caught? The "I only speak French" game never worked with me when I worked at Jay. :lol:

I skied this area in December and tried some of the tree areas then. In the blowdown area in particular, there were tons of buried obstacles that I did hit. That's why I was a bit hesitant on my first run through there yesterday. Luckily, enough snow had been retained through the warm spells and enough new snow had fallen to cover most things. I did hit a couple of buried log surprises which turned in to impromptu airs that were actually quite fun! I searched them out later in the day as I knew the landings were nice and soft. My biggest worry with powder in those areas is getting my tips hooked on a branch under the snow while going fast. I've had it happen before and the results aren't always fun.

Unfortunately, all of the signs at Arber are in German, English and Czech so I can't really use the ignorance defense. I bet I could blurt out some pig latin in an Italian accent and really confuse them though! :)

A great weekend of skiing! Two friends and I decided to head down to Austria to use up some free passes we had for Kitzsteinhorn. This is an area that I typically visit early in the season due to it's high elevation and glacier skiing but I thought we'd give it a shot mid-season to see how it stacked up. We left at about 5am on Saturday morning to make what would typically be a 3.5 to 4 hour drive. Just north of Munich, however, we hit the worst traffic jam I have ever been in (and I've lived in SoCal). It took us over 5 hours to travel 150 kilometers. The autobahn was basically stop and go from northern Munich all the way to Kitzbuhel. We had decided earlier, while stuck in traffic, that we would just find a place to pull over and ski during what was left of the day. There was no way we were going to make it to Kitzsteinhorn. After driving a bit, I saw signs for Kitzbuhel and got excited. I had always wanted to ski there as I'd heard so much about it growing up. I convinced my friends that this was the place we wanted to be so we stopped, got geared up, bought a half-day pass and hopped on the Fleckalmbahn. We had definitely made the right decision!

A decent amount of snow had fallen on Thursday so we had hopes that there would be some powder left. From the gondola, it looked as if things were pretty tracked out. We then hopped on another chair and saw a great bowl that still had some lines for the taking. Since we had to make the best of the time we had, we jumped right in to it.

We skied all over this area and every time found fresh lines on some steep slopes. This was off of Steinbergkogel
2258134398_750b023011_o.jpg

Hardly anyone was skiing this area. Most people were sticking to the groomed pistes which was great for us. I think most of the pow hounds were worn out from the day before.
2258134830_257c53082b_o.jpg

On the lift ride up, my buddy spotted these small trees and said he wanted to jump them. He's from New Zealand and apparently there aren't many trees on the slopes there. He was pretty much goofing, but he still did it for fun. The slope is actually steeper than it looks in the pic. Photographers fault - I was getting tired standing at the angle I was at and was leaning in to the slope.
2258133874_b6a00f04c9_o.jpg

This pitch looked incredibly fun but we had no idea how to get out of the valley it ended up in. It was too late in the day to be getting lost. We found some great, untouched powder off the backside of the peak we were on that temporarily halted our drooling.
2257338721_9c953e8a35_o.jpg

This was a fun ridge to ski. Fairly easy access off the top of Pengelstein after a quick climb. Not a long pitch, but lots of knee-deep powder to keep us happy.
2257338635_f22449723b_o.jpg

That was Kitzbuhel. I'll definitely be going back. We maybe skied 1/5th of the area if that. Most people from my area in Germany head to Garmisch or the Zugspitze if they want to do an easy trip to the Alps. Kitzbuhel is only 15 minutes more of a drive and 100 times the ski area.

More to come....

Sunday, Feb 10 2008 - Kitzsteinhorn, Austria

After a great day on Saturday, we were amped to go skiing again. Kitzsteinhorn is a fun area to get warmed up for the season but it has never stuck in my mind as a great area. I guess I shouldn't judge until I ski a place when it has proper snow cover.

We woke up to another sunny, gorgeous and fairly warm day. We skied a couple of the lower slopes to work out the previous days kinks - an area which I'd eyeballed this past November but was unskiable due to lack of snow. This whole area is simply known as the Rinnen Route or the Grooved area. It is quite extensive and these photos cover only a small portion of it. I probably could have used a groomer to get things started, but, what the hell.
2258139450_47d58489d0_o.jpg

2258139670_25a56c9d8a_o.jpg

After playing around in the 'grooved area', we headed up top to tackle some of the valley sidewalls. I'd skied a bit of this area before, but not with good snow. We were also able to get much higher up on the wall this time of year. Here's a shot looking down from the traverse. We took the t-bars in the foreground to get up there. The groomers those t-bars access are actually steep enough that they are categorized as black runs
2257341299_259e2a71c2_o.jpg

Traversing over the top of the avalanche fences on the Maurer (wall)
2258138238_2536930a64_o.jpg

Not a bad view from up there. Zell am See and the Alps to the north
2258138476_8d9c468d7f_o.jpg

One of the chutes we were skiing. It's steeper than it looks in the photo. I was sitting on a rock right at the bottom so was looking up at the slope. The tracks between the rocks on the left were all ours (okay, and one snowboarder).
2257341811_f33f701a3e_o.jpg

Looking down on the lifts from my perch on the wall
2258138812_9b33733daa_o.jpg

I took a whole sequence of my buddy coming down
2257344393_1e2446d773_o.jpg

A little Austrian Engrish
2257342387_7a8d99a38d_o.jpg

Mountains to the north of Kitzbuhel. I took the shot(s) while stuck in traffic out of the car window. They came together as a nice mosaic.
2258140884_321277479b_b.jpg

I've got more pictures from the trip. If you're interested in checking them out, they are on my Flickr Page

This was a great trip and we had a great time. It was especially nice for me since it had nothing to do with the ski club I help run. It was nice just to go ski and not have to worry about anyone else for once!

Next week I'm off to the Ski Amade region in Austria for 3 days. No new snow is forecast but the weather is supposed to be nice and sunny again. I'm going to see how many different areas I can ski while I'm there. The off-piste is going to be cruddy, so I might as well do some exploring.

Cheers!

I just returned back from a great trip to the Ski Amade region of Austria on Monday night. Even though no new snow had fallen for over a week, we were still able to have some off-piste fun and even find some stashes of untouched, albeit old, powder. The weather was sunny and the winds were calm all three days we were there but it was a bit cold both Saturday and Sunday.

On Saturday we skied Alpendorf, Wagrain and Flachau. These are fairly tame areas but they do have some great tree skiing if you know where to look. The addition of the new gondola at Alpendorf opened up a lot of new expert off-piste terrain also.

At the beginning of the day, we really didn't know where to head to. The snow was very solid everywhere we went and was rough going for my friend and his snowboard.
2277238390_769cfc7834_o.jpg

Later in the morning, I left my friends to go explore some areas on my own. I was pleasantly surprised by what I found. I figured the snow in the trees would be completely crusted over and difficult going, but it was actually quite soft and fun to ski. It was for the most part tracked out in this area, but I later did find some more in fairly inaccesible areas with fresh lines between some tight trees.
2276446845_40a89d86f1_o.jpg

I didn't take the camera out much the first day as temps were around 0F and my fingers were cold. I spent a lot of time in the trees and in the shade so I never really did warm up.

Day 2 - Zauchensee

I had never skied this resort before. I really, really liked it. There is no reason to go to Alpendorf when in the area as this place is closeby to where we stay. It blows Alpendorf/Wagrain/Flachau away. Much bigger and varied terrain and way better off-piste potential.

For the first hour I stuck with my friends and their wives. After doing a couple of long groomers with them, I struck out on my own. On the other side of the valley I had eyed a tree area that looked virtually untouched and easy to get to from the top lift. I immediately headed for this after parting from my friends. You can see the trail I followed in this picture to the peak to access the untouched snow in the trees.
2276450963_87141b7107_o.jpg

Below is the top of the area I skied through. I took this from the other side of the valley while eating lunch. While at lunch, I hooked up with another friend who is an excellent skier. I told him about this area and we immediately headed back over.
2276452665_41845e7ece_o.jpg

This is the view from the top of the tree area I hiked to. Lots of potential on the other side of the valley too.
2276451217_334bc373e8_o.jpg

My buddy works as a reporter for Stars and Stripes and was doing a story on the tour company we often use and the Ski Amade area. He was carrying his camera with him and snapped a few pictures of me coming through the trees and over a little drop off.
2276568465_f98c828d50_o.jpg

Later in the day, he and I skied some lines under one of the older gondolas that turned out to be pretty crazy. The area was closed (we later found out) and riddled with avi fences. It was an interesting run. The below pic isn't from this run, but it's in the same section of the resort. This is towards the bottom of the gondola served area (it's quite large - this is just a little portion)
2276452945_1254b6200c_o.jpg

Day 3 - back to Alpendorf

We only had 5 hours to ski on Monday as we had to be in Salzburg by 4 to drop two people off at the train station. One of my friends and I decided to head back to the same tree area we had found on Saturday. We were pretty surprised that nobody else had been back there since us. The tracks in the picture are ours from two days earlier. This wasn't a long run - maybe 750 vertical feet - but plenty of fun with knee-deep powder that hadn't become crusty.
2277249032_e4b6d8bef6_o.jpg

View of St Veit (the town we stay in) from the Gernkogel section of Alpendorf. The sunny sides of the valleys are really hurting for snow!
2277250830_f42c7a1d2a_o.jpg

After three days of skiing very hard and virtually non-stop, I could have gone for another 3. I'm really getting in to good ski shape this season and feel great! I'm looking forward to more adventures in the next two months. Now, if only winter would return to Europe............. You guys/gals in North America - please send some snow our way!

Back