Advice requested - move to Jackson, WY (Somewhat off-topic)

pointpeninsula

Hi all,

Apologies in advance for a posting in the Western forum for a non-skiing question. My wife and I spent a week at Jackson Hole earlier this month, and to my astonishment, when we returned home, she declared that in retirement, she'd like to spend a year (at least) living in the area. After I realized that I hadn't died and gone to heaven, I started pondering the logistics of this idea. We're thinking of doing this within the next three years, probably.

So, first off, can anyone recommend promising areas in which to look? I'd like to rent a furnished house or double-wide, as long as there is a garage available for bicycle and kayak storage. (I suppose self-storage unit nearby could suffice.) Furnished, of course, reduces the amount of stuff we'd need to haul or purchase locally. I'm not interested in maintaining a yard, so even a nice condo or complex might be acceptable. We're not made of money, and we don't want to sell or rent out our home, so finding something within a modest budget is important. (I hope it's possible, but I'm a bit skeptical.)

I've been a home re-modeller all my life, so if I could find someone that wants their home cared for for a year, that would be ideal. Maybe someone being temporarily relocated for work or military service would find this a useful arrangement.

We'd want to be within a short drive to JHMR or the START lot near Jackson, if that's possible. Access to medical care is important, as is availability of high-speed internet. Pretty much everything else is flexible.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on the idea.

Tom

I've skied with Bob twice and he's definitely the go-to source for Jackson. He's also been a real estate agent there for 20+ years.

I critique Jackson for it's relatively short window of good ski conditions. But as a year round place to live in the mountains it has to be on the short list. Summers there are spectacular.

Jackson is quite expensive, if you are on any kind of fixed income with your retirement think about the other side of the pass in Driggs, Id. area. My niece lives in Driggs, but commutes over the hill to Jackson for work...not that far.

I'll second the Teton Valley. My wife and I lived there last year and really enjoyed it. We had to move unexpectantly (our landlord wanted to sell our rental house) , so we took the opportunity this past year traveling the west in our motorhome looking for our "long term" home and checking to make sure we weren't missing something. We realized Teton Valley is probably where we want to go back to. Rentals are much more reasonable than Jackson, but still quite limited. Teton Valley still has a small town/ranching feel with just enough amenities, and it's a pretty easy 45 min to 1 hr to hop over to the hustle of Jackson... except on the really stormy days of course.

Back