Alta 10-25

Skidog

Day 1

BobbyD called me up at about 10am on this very sunny Sunday morning and said he wanted to go skiing. Not thinking about it too much I got the ok from the wife and decided, whats the worst that could happen? I could get in a nice hike with a friend?

Met up at about 11:30 in the GMD parking lot. Unfortunately its a foot hike to watsons. Skis, boots, etc on the backpack and some good hiking shoes on the feet and we were off.

We made it up to Watsons in about 45 min and decided it was a skin from there. After a few minutes of issues with BobbyD's trekkers we were off towards the baldy shoulder. We decided going right up Main street was the best option this way we could look around and see what was good for the decent back to Watsons. We made it to very near the top of the baldy shoulder right next to graveyard and just below the armpit gate from Snowbird in about 1hr 15 min.
BobbyD near Armpit Gate
Bobby10-25.jpg

We took a little gully from the baldy shoulder just past rocky point. The snow was close to 2feet in depth, very supportable, and to top it off there was about 4" of graupel to soften and smooth things out. we decended the gully and made our way for Main street. The turns were soft and enjoyable.
Some low angle tracks on Main street.
tracks10-25.jpg

Skied back to Watsons without incident and nary a rock to be hit. Everything back on the pack and hike down to the car.

All in all great time and the weather was simply beautiful.

Looks like we'll get a nice shot of snow on Tues-Wed and maybe another round Fri- Sat. Its really starting to shape up up high. The base is looking good. Down below watsons needs snow.

Looking forward to a great season.

M

Good to see you got day 1 in.

I should be arriving in SLC right around the 16th. I'll let you know as the day approaches so I can come steal my new skis from you before it snows too much.

jtran10":2wk5mnk4 said:
Good to see you got day 1 in.

I should be arriving in SLC right around the 16th. I'll let you know as the day approaches so I can come steal my new skis from you before it snows too much.

They skied great..... ;-)

M

skidog certainly looked like he was enjoying himself. hard not to on that kind of surface ! getting the place fine tuned with snowpack tonight - should be a very interesting near future in skiing this week careful for slides .

Back