Alta 11-9-08 RECON

Skidog

Bobby D and I headed up to Alta today for a nice easy hike up the access road to do some recon and see what will and will not be skiable opening weekend. Looks like with another foot or 2 pretty much everything will be skiable.

anyway we headed up from GMD parking lot to Watsons and took a short break, made some adjustments to Bobby D's trekkers and headed up towards spring valley. Amazingly after 5 days of Alta being hiked there was still UNTRACKED to be found in the Spring Valley area. Very low angle but just enough pitch to make a few nice turns. The snow was buttery and soft, about boot to mid shin deep.

short hike, good snow, good recon mission.

some pics.

DSC00528.jpg

DSC00529.jpg

DSC00530.jpg

DSC00532.jpg

M

Trying to get all 40 of your days in before your mother-in-law leaves town and your privileges get restricted, huh? :lol:

Admin":3ibxu5bi said:
Trying to get all 40 of your days in before your mother-in-law leaves town and your privileges get restricted, huh? :lol:

Mother in law gone...unfortunately wifes bday is on Sunday so no go there and our other guests are leaving Saturday so..

Plus it might be a "pow" day tomorrow.

you mark my words..ill get the 40 days easy...and I bet you get more "restricted" than me...besides you can barely make 3 runs without nearly keeling over HA :-({|=

M

Skidog":1xiwvdqk said:
you mark my words..ill get the 40 days easy...and I bet you get more "restricted" than me...besides you can barely make 3 runs without nearly keeling over HA :-({|=

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Skidog's arrogance has always been annoying, but this time it is pretty funny

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ah youth!

Nonetheless I do take admin's sandbagging with a grain of salt. :bs: By the time I show up in March he's pretty much kicking butt, especially in the trees. By observation of most ski fanatics, I find it hard to believe he's THAT much slower in November. He's not spending the whole summer doing "12-inch curls" either, if you recall the numerous TR's from backpacking, rock climbing, kayaking, etc.

Tony Crocker":ylfq2uoe said:
Nonetheless I do take admin's sandbagging with a grain of salt. :bs: By the time I show up in March he's pretty much kicking butt, especially in the trees. By observation of most ski fanatics, I find it hard to believe he's THAT much slower in November. He's not spending the whole summer doing "12-inch curls" either, if you recall the numerous TR's from backpacking, rock climbing, kayaking, etc.

Oh, but I wish it was sandbagging. Alas, I've never, ever felt as out of shape as I did last Friday/Saturday. It was absolutely hideous that a day after skiing oh, maybe 9,000 vertical feet I couldn't even negotiate one flight of stairs in my house without wincing. I kid you not when I tell you that my legs would not stop shaking involuntarily for the entire duration of only my second tram ride on Friday. I sat in the tub Friday night swearing that I was going to change my diet, take vitamins, work out, quit smoking, etc.

If you recall, I was much more active during the core of the summer than I've been for the past six or eight weeks. Furthermore, I don't care what else you do, I have yet to find a summer activity that I enjoy that uses the same core muscle groups as skiing.

Perhaps the speed with which one "gets out of shape" also varies by the individual. I had a very sedentary period after my broken ribs in April, only once a week dog walks. Anything aerobic was too jarring. When I returned to Mammoth May 31/June 1 I did not notice much decline in ski muscles, though I took more breaks on steep terrain since there was some decline in cardio fitness.

I hope not to embarrass myself this weekend.

Perhaps admin should buy Sharon's Skier's Edge. :p

Back