Alta, UT 1/30/2013

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Day 36: The Storm of 47.

The Mormons have their "Days of '47" each July to commemorate the arrival of the pioneers in Utah. Today we had the "Storm of 47" to commemorate my 47th birthday. :bow:

Alta has logged well over three feet of snow since the 27th, with 10" coming in overnight.

20130130_112932.jpg

I had to get up there for a few runs this morning, and AmyZ felt the same way.

This latest wave came with a warm front this morning and thus was heavier than normal, an wrong-side-up. Add in a stiff wind that drifted the snow and it was tricky going in places, but phenomenally good nonetheless even though you couldn't see anything. Fortunately you didn't have to.

20130130_111721.jpg

North Rustler really delivered today and we ventured for a couple of trips out there, as well as a Chartreuse Nose and a completely untracked Vail Ridge.

20130130_110422.jpg

One drift on Chartreuse unexpectedly stopped me dead in my tracks, and I really paid for getting greedy once at the bottom of North Greeley with the schlep out from hell. Liftie Shannon thought that there was a decent turnout for a Wednesday; I, on the other hand, thought that it felt rather quiet.

Base depths are now finally approaching 100" for the first time this season.

20130130_110549.jpg

Remember this?

file.php

That was Mrs. Admin's rental car stuck in the driveway (well, actually in the yard) on Monday that required a whole day to get out. Today was the third morning commute in a row disrupted by slick roads in the Salt Lake Valley, and once again I got to drive her to her job out near the airport rather than have her drive that RWD POS deathtrap. It took me a full two hours to go from home, to the airport, to Alta this morning.

And after spending all of Monday digging that car out there was no way that I was going to put it back in the driveway and get it stuck again as the next wave of snow moved in. I insisted upon parking it on the street. And what did I get for my trouble?

20130129_173648.jpg

AAARRGGGHHH! :evil: :evil: :evil:

You just don't mess with a man's automobile. Even his rental car. His wife's rental car. Seriously, though, Admin, that sucks.

SoCal Rider":rj84rytq said:
You just don't mess with a man's automobile. Even his rental car. His wife's rental car. Seriously, though, Admin, that sucks.

Especially because our collision deductible is $750. Just a few months back she rented a car to drive to Vegas and that got hit in a parking lot by another hit-and-run. I'm getting tired of paying Enterprise for damage!

Wow that stinks on a lot of levels. I'm still trying to figure out if some form of irony exists given your day job. But that is GL not P&C.

Good goods on the skiing part though...

The skiing looks like a good birthday present, the rental car issue - not so much. You should check with the credit card that you used for the rental. Some cards offer primary rental car coverage, so you would be off the hook. If not for this time, this might be something to consider in the future.

Quickturns":15uj35ib said:
The skiing looks like a good birthday present, the rental car issue - not so much. You should check with the credit card that you used for the rental. Some cards offer primary rental car coverage, so you would be off the hook. If not for this time, this might be something to consider in the future.

Good idea, I got a small ding on a rental they were trying to charge a few hundred for. I used the insurance on my credit card and had no out of pocket cost. Paperwork was a hassle but no $ paid.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I guess I should have asked in the previous thread about the car if you couldn't get the agency to give your wife a FWD. Probably smaller car, they should have no objection.

longshanks":os0u6abj said:
47?...you look much older and wiser than 47

<groan>

Quickturns":os0u6abj said:

Alas, she used a debit card.

Back