Alta, UT 12/15-16/12

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Days 17 & 18: Gotta learn to ski with my mouth closed.

At least that's one way to hydrate, I suppose. Face shots all weekend. Best runs of the season thus far. I'm late posting this report, so by now much of the weekend is just a white blur. The again, it was during the weekend, too. About 2 feet of new snow over the course of the weekend -- round 1 was 6-7%, round 2 was <5%, and all of it fell straight down until the wind picked up around lunchtime on Sunday. Amazingly good.

Spent Saturday with Jamesdeluxe, and ran into Yak and his friend Ziggy for a couple of runs off Supreme on Sunday. Crowds were moderate and irrelevant. In sum, the whole mountain is skiing exceedingly well right now and round 3 of the storm is just now moving in.

20121216_083146.jpg

20121216_095514.jpg

20121216_095657.jpg

20121216_105852.jpg

20121216_111409.jpg

20121216_124634.jpg

20121216_201853.jpg

More. Pictures. PLEASE! After skiing K-mart all weekend for my bi-annual refresher, I need to know that powder exists somewhere in the world! I actually considered buying carving skis today. Must. Resist. Help! Send powder now!

As far as I know, no one took action pix on Saturday. I was too busy getting my arse kicked by everyone's favorite gang of serial traversers. :-" I got a taste of untracked Greeley Bowl, Back Side, Ballroom, Punch Bowl, and the much beloved Bus Run. Thanks again for the tour and for the patience -- at least I provided opportunities for additional safety meetings.

If Saturday at Alta was fantastic; Sunday at Brighton was stupendous. Nonstop face shots, thigh-deep pillows, and... no photos.

Not a surprise, but Admin was extremely good-natured while being on the wrong end of a forced redistribution of wealth. Thanks for the great evening!

Seriously, I am about to break down and get day tickets for Alta. Can't I do better than $70-75? Seriously. Damn.

AAA quality weekend !!!! enjoyed exploring alta from the western boundry to the eastern one . james it was fun glad you enjoyed .

Marc, Thanks to you, Bobby, and Amy for showing us some of your favorite lines. We went back for seconds on Back Forty after you left us.

Highlights of my week were touring Red Pine on Thursday, skiing and skinning the back of Rocky Point twice on Friday, and of course, all of Saturday and Sunday's powder fest. Getting second and third tracks down Gunsight, and spending time in the white room on Greely Bowl didn't suck either.

Here's a few random iPhone photos.

Ziggy at the top of Gunsight

IMG_1377_zpsbe254880.jpg

Rocky Point. Our first run was down the middle of the bowl in the upper left, second run was along the treeline on the left which was superb.

IMG_1366_zps2bb1dfdc.jpg

Ziggy and Mike skinning back up

IMG_1367_zpsf75dfa7d.jpg

Greely Bowl

IMG_1378_zps0109df80.jpg

Getting our skis on Saturday morning

IMG_1374_zps28365c8e.jpg

The car on Sunday evening

IMG_1379_zpsb8e9178a.jpg

Evren":26ma7wz1 said:
Seriously, I am about to break down and get day tickets for Alta. Can't I do better than $70-75? Seriously. Damn.

Could be worse:
  • Squaw Valley: $99
  • Vail or Beaver Creek: $109
  • Breckenridge: $104
  • Steamboat: $99
  • Deer Valley: $102
  • Mammoth: $89
  • Sun Valley: $95
  • Whistler: $98
  • Stowe: $92
  • Killington: $88
  • Stratton: $87