Alta, UT 12/29/10

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Day 27: Finally off the groomers.

I really had the best of intentions today. I felt like a change of scenery, and also had yet to see the new bubble chair and realigned gondi at Canyons Resort. So I figured I'd break in my season pass there today. But when I got onto I-215 and prepared to transition to I-80 up Parley's Canyon I saw traffic backed out of the canyon and down toward Sugar House, all at an absolute dead stop. Turns out they had 4x4/chain restrictions for all traffic on I-80 in Parley's, something I've only seen before for semis, and they had a chain checkpoint set up at the chain-up area a short ways inside the mouth of the canyon. Beyond that, reports on the radio indicated that traffic was barely inching up toward Parley's Summit. Surmising that it would take a good 90 minutes or more to get to Park City, I bagged my plans and turned around.

In fact, I got off the exit to my house and sat at the light waiting to turn left into my neighborhood. I was tired, I slept little last night and I figured that tomorrow will be the big day. But then something came over me, I turned right from the left turn lane, made a U-turn on 33rd and got back on the highway toward Alta.

And boy, am I glad I did! When I checked the morning report it had begun snowing around 4-5 a.m. and was snowing at an inch an hour. During the day it had to be snowing two to three inches an hour, in a medium density ahead of the cold front that was absolutely perfect -- enough to bury the crunchy base, but light enough to float through.

alta_supreme_101229.jpg

The mountain remains quiet for Christmas Week. I rode on a few tourist chairs before Dale called upon his arrival, and we hooked up and headed for Supreme. I spent much of the morning getting familiar with ways through the cliff band between the Supreme liftline and White Squaw. A couple of times I cliffed myself out (and more than once on the same cliff :oops: ), but I also got to ski a few hairball lines in there that I've never skied before. That part of the mountain is a true playground but I've never truly taken the time to familiarize myself with the less than obvious ways through there. My efforts were rewarded with thigh-deep untracked.

I got out of there around 1:30 to catch up on sleep and beat the 2:30 p.m. road closure. It reopened at 5 p.m., but they're saying that they may close it again tonight and will definitely close it at 7:30 a.m. tomorrow until an estimated 9 a.m. I'm torn over what to do tomorrow -- maybe I'll try to beat the 7:30 closure if it doesn't close overnight. They're saying 3 feet or more by the time this system is done Friday morning. Snow levels have now reached the valley floor, and heading out to a 5:30 p.m. appointment in Cottonwood Heights was a crapshow on the roads this evening. A short while ago I looked out the living room window and could see a wall of headlights stopped on the transition from I-80 eastbound to I-215 southbound, stretching back as far as the eye could see. And I've got to make an airport pickup run at 11:15 p.m. tonight. #-o

Admin":3v5jneav said:
I got out of there around 1:30 to catch up on sleep and beat the 2:30 p.m. road closure. It reopened at 5 p.m., but they're saying that they may close it again tonight and will definitely close it at 7:30 a.m. tomorrow until an estimated 9 a.m. I'm torn over what to do tomorrow -- maybe I'll try to beat the 7:30 closure if it doesn't close overnight. They're saying 3 feet or more by the time this system is done Friday morning. Snow levels have now reached the valley floor, and heading out to a 5:30 p.m. appointment in Cottonwood Heights was a crapshow on the roads this evening. A short while ago I looked out the living room window and could see a wall of headlights stopped on the transition from I-80 eastbound to I-215 southbound, stretching back as far as the eye could see. And I've got to make an airport pickup run at 11:15 p.m. tonight. #-o

Shit. LCC Road is now suddenly closed for the night. With an "estimated" opening at 9 I may well head for the Park City area and hit up Alta Friday.

Admin":33e10xrw said:
[censored]. LCC Road is now suddenly closed for the night. With an "estimated" opening at 9 I may well head for the Park City area and hit up Alta Friday.
Based on prior experience in this scenario, I would not be the least surprised that at 8:45 tomorrow UDOT will "try to get the road open by 11. We will reassess at 10:30" and, assuming the snow continues, 11 may well become 1pm. And a few times, 1pm became "we tried but we will be unable to open the road today".
But when it's that intense, it's pretty likely that Alta is under interlodge restrictions and not operating anyway.

Marc_C":j2vquwmx said:
Admin":j2vquwmx said:
[censored]. LCC Road is now suddenly closed for the night. With an "estimated" opening at 9 I may well head for the Park City area and hit up Alta Friday.
Based on prior experience in this scenario, I would not be the least surprised that at 8:45 tomorrow UDOT will "try to get the road open by 11. We will reassess at 10:30" and, assuming the snow continues, 11 may well become 1pm. And a few times, 1pm became "we tried but we will be unable to open the road today".
But when it's that intense, it's pretty likely that Alta is under interlodge restrictions and not operating anyway.

All of which is precisely what I'm thinking, and precisely why I'm leaning strongly toward the Wasatch Back tomorrow.

In this situation does BCC's road get open earlier than LCC? What about Snowbasin or Powder Mt.? This storm should be cold enough for good quality at those places. I would be skeptical of the tourist quotient at the Park City group during Christmas week. I realize those people won't be tracking up Jupiter, 9990, etc. but they still impact traffic, base area lifts etc. I suspect BobbyD would be leaning to Snowbasin in tomorrow's likely scenario.

second that- I'd love to see a TR from snowbasin. Previous year's reports normally mention something like "how come we don't come up here more often?". When we get back to UT I'll be able to afford a season pass there.

There are other factors at play here. I have season passes to the PC area resorts but it's too short notice to arrange for a day ticket to the others. And as for base area lift crowding, my PCMR pass includes line cutting privileges.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]

Skrad":2i7sm3g8 said:
If only our Snowbird passes had that.
They do - it's called the Seven Summits Club - you purchase it as an option on top of your season pass. Besides line cutting (including the tram), you get other perks like a private locker and locker room, private club, spa privs at the Cliff, etc.

It costs an additional $10K annually.
http://www.snowbird.com/sevensummits/club.html

I opted for LCC after all as I didn't get to sleep until after 2am (again!). If they open the road at 9 as scheduled I'm in great position, about 30th in line as I sit here. Still snowing.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
mobile.png

Cheap when you consider all the chicks that will suddenly want to ski with you.

Or at least ride the lifts with you.

$17,000 last I heard.

Skrad":2gy8xmgp said:
Cheap when you consider all the chicks that will suddenly want to ski with you.

Or at least ride the lifts with you.
Perhaps!

Skrad":2gy8xmgp said:
$17,000 last I heard.
Wouldn't be surprised - that $10K I quoted is at least of 5 yrs ago. When I first moved here it was a mere $7500 (but I think that was just for the pass upgrade, not the full club membership).

I just hire an attractive female ski instructor on the powder days.

I can cut lines for less than the price of a black pass.

And she can't take off on me even if my jokes fall flat.

Back