Americans Moving to Florida?

Harvey

Administrator
Staff member
NOT going to Fla for the winter!!!
Last visit left a bad taste in my mouth

Really want to hear about this, maybe a thread in the OT. We are moving north but came THIS CLOSE to choosing FL instead.

Need to really look at car rental prices and determine what’s the best option.

I get wanting to drive, I hate flying. But you save a bundle of mileage on your own car, and can rent something extremely capable in the snow, or even exchange it, if you'll be driving in heavy weather.

Last edited by a moderator:
We are moving north but came THIS CLOSE to choosing FL instead.
It's fascinating; the stranglehold that ("the free state of") Florida has on many people's mindsets in certain demographic groups. I don't deny that there are some fun things to do -- ocean-related activities, enjoying fresh fish/seafood, and golf -- but to spend more than a few days there on vacation?

I was kidding James, just trolling you. Moving to FLA would crush my spirit and cripple my soul.

Your reaction surprised me. I was betting it would be something like:

"Wait WHAT? When did THAT happen?!?!

Sincere apologies.

I guess as a mod on NYSB, I have to be so... moderate, that I look for little chances to troll here and there (AZ).

the stranglehold that ("the free state of") Florida has on many people's mindsets in certain demographic groups.
Given the usually unpleasant weather in the Midwest and Northeast, plus the general tendency of older people to be more sensitive to cold, I totally get why lots of these people would live in Florida at least 7 months a year like Liz' mother did. But I also understand why she lived somewhere else (in the Smoky Mountains, NC) for the other 5 months. That said, I can't say Florida in summer 2020 was any more unpleasant than a hellish July week in 2013 that I spent with Liz in NYC. And our location in Florida was 10 minutes from the Gulf for some relief. Having lived in both, I'll take Florida's weather over New Jersey's any day.:smileyvault-stirthepot:

Really want to hear about this, maybe a thread in the OT. We are moving north but came THIS CLOSE to choosing FL instead.
Take it from someone who lives in a hot and humid location. You don’t want to live in that kind of climate. It sucks.

Take it from someone who lives in a hot and humid location. You don’t want to live in that kind of climate. It sucks.
We get approximately three weeks of brutally hot and humid weather here each summer and I couldn't imagine months of that.

Having lived in both, I'll take Florida's weather over New Jersey's any day.
I wouldn't call myself a weather parochial (my chronological experiences at the bottom) and know that preferences are in the eye of the beholder. While Tony's comment may seem exaggerated, he's complained numerous times about his university years in Princeton and uses southern CA as his baseline, so I'll take it at face value. The subjectively nonstop sun that I experienced in Colorado and New Mexico exhausted me after a while. I prefer a more varied climate and enjoy it here, other than the three weeks of hot and humid mentioned above.

It may be time to break out this discussion from Jason's unlikely three-week western ski trip. :icon-biggrin:

• 18 years in Central New York
  • 5 years in Denver/Boulder
  • 6 months in Nice (similar to Los Angeles, I'm told?)
  • 1 year in Berlin (nonstop gray and cold in the winter, very pleasant in the summer)
  • 4 years in Albuquerque/Taos
  • 3 years in Chicagoland
  • 6 months in Montreal
  • 4 years in Brooklyn
  • 21 years in northern New Jersey

6 months in Nice (similar to Los Angeles, I'm told?)
Closest Euro region analogies to L.A. are Lisbon in the summer and Casablanca in the winter, and it's not coincidental that both of those are on the Atlantic not the Mediterranean. The actual Mediterranean is slightly different from the west coast/cold current climates (Chile/South Africa/California/south and southwest Australia). The Mediterranean warms up much more than those oceans in summer (so similar air temperatures but more humidity) but the higher latitude also means colder winters.

The European side of the Mediterranean is considerably colder in the winter. Nice's average January high/low is 54/41 vs. L.A. 68/48.

Last edited:
I have worked as a chef for 27 yrs and at families industrial laundry for 10 yrs before that. I’m accustomed to the heat and humidity. Just need ac to sleep and eat.
What turned me off of Fla the last visit was the unbridled development and the total lack of any environmental consideration.
My wife will be getting a nice condo there but doesn’t like there. The political environment is also a bit extreme for us.

We get approximately three weeks of brutally hot and humid weather here each summer and I couldn't imagine months of that.

I wouldn't call myself a weather parochial (my chronological experiences at the bottom) and know that preferences are in the eye of the beholder. While Tony's comment may seem exaggerated, he's complained numerous times about his university years in Princeton and uses southern CA as his baseline, so I'll take it at face value. The subjectively nonstop sun that I experienced in Colorado and New Mexico exhausted me after a while. I prefer a more varied climate and enjoy it here, other than the three weeks of hot and humid mentioned above.

It may be time to break out this discussion from Jason's unlikely three-week western ski trip. :icon-biggrin:

• 18 years in Central New York
  • 5 years in Denver/Boulder
  • 6 months in Nice (similar to Los Angeles, I'm told?)
  • 1 year in Berlin (nonstop gray and cold in the winter, very pleasant in the summer)
  • 4 years in Albuquerque/Taos
  • 3 years in Chicagoland
  • 6 months in Montreal
  • 4 years in Brooklyn
  • 21 years in northern New Jersey
I didn’t have you as 55 plus.

I was in Brisbane in November 2012 and it was very pleasant. I'm guessing Brisbane's unpleasant season is a bit shorter than Florida's. In both cases I would not be happy unless I was VERY close to the ocean.

I agree with James that GPaul fits the definition of a "piece or work."
Humidity kicks in about early December and lasts until early April. The worst of it being all of January and February. It’s a good time to travel to the northern hemisphere.

I may be a little more sensitive to our climate as I perspire easily.

I didn’t have you as 55 plus.
James, Patrick and former admin are all within about a year of age.
The political environment is also a bit extreme for us.
Florida is still one of the more closely balanced states. Remember 2000? It has drifted redder since then, but the overall population mix is not as extreme as the current state government. That might provoke a backlash at some point.

Last edited:
Moving to FLA would crush my spirit and cripple my soul.
This!!!
Never. I don't like heat. I prefer Iceland/Ireland summer weather over Florida any time. Even the South of France is unbearable for me.
edit: also I would take -30c (-22F) over +30c (+86F) temps anytime.

Last edited:
Now that I have bashed Fla. there are some positives
Pleasant winter temp
Then sun. Grey skies in the north east get old and depressing
And the fishing. One of my passions.
IMG_1865.jpeg

Pleasant winter temp
View attachment 41126
If you ever come to Queensland come in the winter. That’s our calm weather and therefore offshore fishing season. You can have a few days fishing arguably the best reef fishing grounds on the planet.

IMG_4556.jpeg

Pleasant winter temp
I wouldn't want to live there ~mid-May till ~End of Sept when the humidity is horrid, but I've been going sometimes regularly, sometimes irregularly for much of my life (Gulf coast side).

Last Turkey week was generally very nice. So much so that I'm hoping for a repeat to the slow snowfall early season like last year (though odds probably don't favor that too many years in a row).

Image00001.jpg

Image00002.jpg

Image00003.jpg

Florida is too hot and flat for me. No skiing, cycling is boring. No mtn biking worth doing. The pool and beach get old quickly. Agree with EMSC makes sense for a few weeks vacation in the fall before the snow comes.

Back