Annular eclipse trip to Lake Powell 5/20-22/12

A few more pics from our eclipse viewing site.

Alain, Xavier and Jean-Michel with their telescopes.
IMGP2063.JPG

One of these was a hydrogen alpha where we could see solar flares. In the background was an amateur astronomer from Phoenix. His huge reflector telescope is designed for dark sky viewing but he adapted it for solar viewing.

Admin and Larry Stevens
IMGP2081.JPG

admin":2o6d1liv said:
I'd love to witness a total eclipse, but let's just say that I won't be flying to Australia for it.
You'll get your chance in 5 years with a slightly shorter drive than this time.

Larry brought a strainer for eclipse crescent shadows.
IMGP2079a.JPG

At an annular eclipse you also get ring shadows.
IMG_3194.JPG

Tony Crocker:1q0alrj3 said:
Our other "touristy" day included the same Glen Canyon Dam tour admin took and then a 5-hour boat ride on Lake Powell to Rainbow Bridge.
The boat ride is $115pp and includes wireless headphones on the way out with some geology and history descriptions. The scenery on Lake Powell itself is nice, but I'll confine pics to Rainbow Bridge and its ~4 mile approach canyon. There are buoy signs to help the houseboaters find Rainbow Bridge.
IMG_0082.JPG

Approaching the dock
IMG_0093.JPG

It's less than a half mile hike to Rainbow Bridge, though it was about 97F like the previous afternoon. First views:
IMG_0105.JPG

IMGP2293.JPG

IMG_0116.JPG

The full view

IMGP2295.JPG

We walked through to catch the view from the other side.
IMG_0133.JPG

The plaques on the wall commemorate the Navajo guides who first showed Rainbow Bridge to white men in 1909. It was very tough access before Lake Powell.
IMG_0126.JPG

Here we are under the bridge
IMG_0135.JPG

290 feet high, largest in the world

Pics from the exit boat ride through Rainbow Bridge's canyon.
IMG_0145.JPG

IMG_0152.JPG

IMG_0154a.JPG

IMG_0166.JPG

Last edited:
Back