Any last minute, last week of March CO advice?

tseeb

We arrive late Wed. night and are staying that night near Denver. They’ve backed the rain out of 10-day Vail forecast, but predict wind 43/22 20% chance of precipitation Wed. See http://www.weather.com/outlook/recreati ... v_outdoors

Thu. Snow shower 34/15 40% chance - Vail
Fri. Few snow showers 38/22 30% - Vail
Sat. Snow shower 38/22 50% - Beaver Creek
Sun. Snow shower 38/20 40% - Aspen
Mon. Snow shower 32/17 60% - Snowmass
Tues. Rain/snow 36/18 40% - Arapahoe (optional, but doable as we have 5 pm flight)

Some questions are (I already know I should carry my boots onto the plane):
1. If weather is as predicted and we can ski any Vail resort for free, where should we go Thursday and what time should we leave Lakewood? (SW Denver)
2. Would these be good conditions to ski from Vail to Minturn Friday PM?
3. Any Vail restaurant recommendation? I’ve heard Montauk Seafood is very good, but reviews are mixed and Happy Hour Thursday is better deal.
4. Is it worth trying to split Monday between Aspen Mtn. and Highlands? I have many days at Aspen and only one (partial day) at Highlands, all 25 years ago). My wife may want to quit early and we could have lunch in town, then I could catch a bus or drive to Highlands.
5. Are free remote lots at Beaver Creek and Snowmass convenient?
6. Is it worth carrying laptop to blog?

1. If weather is as predicted and we can ski any Vail resort for free, where should we go Thursday and what time should we leave Lakewood? (SW Denver)
2. Would these be good conditions to ski from Vail to Minturn Friday PM?
3. Any Vail restaurant recommendation? I’ve heard Montauk Seafood is very good, but reviews are mixed and Happy Hour Thursday is better deal.
4. Is it worth trying to split Monday between Aspen Mtn. and Highlands? I have many days at Aspen and only one (partial day) at Highlands, all 25 years ago). My wife may want to quit early and we could have lunch in town, then I could catch a bus or drive to Highlands.
5. Are free remote lots at Beaver Creek and Snowmass convenient?
6. Is it worth carrying laptop to blog?

1)warm days in Denver of late, but not sure it is hitting mtns so much. Aspect & altitide are becoming very important this time of year. North facing are still mid winter, lower altitude & other aspects starting to become affected. Probably frontside & blue sky basin @ vail itself or so... breck faces mostly east, keystone I would take the 2nd gondola to avoid a nightmare run down the backsideto north peak & outback (no perfect answer)
2) should be good enough snow. just make sure west/NW aspect is not refrozen crud that day.
3) Touristy red lion is enjoyed by many... different/locals place is The George near the covered walking bridge (pkg garage side - part bar/part restaurant. I happen to know the owners). I don't eat @ vail much so that's best I can do...
4)I dont get to aspen areas much. clearly the highlands is far better terrain
5)BC should be ok at remote lots (it's gated to get into the village anyway. BC has new lifts to get you up hill or you take a bus...(snowmass no idea, see last answer)
6) only if you really like to blog or it's real small & lightweight IMHO.Though even the cheap hotels out here usually have free wifi now...(if you in hotels; condos frequently not).

Bring your winter gear as well as spring stuff. Last reports I've seen include a mix of weather this coming week/end. And last weekend was pretty cold too...

Oh, and I would make the abasin day a definite. Terrain is worth it, and on the road by 1pm you should be fine (unless big storm).

1) I would get up early enough Thursday to make Vail in preference to Keystone or Breck.

4) Based on your prior experience I'd spend that whole day in Aspen at Highlands and not waste part of it transferring between areas.

5) I used the remote lot at Beaver Creek last April 1 and still managed 22K on a half day ticket, so I can't complain about that.

We skied Keystone, Vail and A-basin last year in mid-April in a somewhat warm period. The bottom of Vail and Keystone were total slush, but Blue Sky Basin was still more or less winter surface conditions. The other back bowls and Game Creek Bowl were a bit slushy by the afternoon, but enjoyable. Most runs on Keystone North Peak and Outback were still OK, although some had clearly gone through a thaw- freeze cycle. But the best conditions were at A-Basin -- total winter conditions on the high lifts there.

I can help with some of your questions.

1. If weather is as predicted and we can ski any Vail resort for free, where should we go Thursday and what time should we leave Lakewood? (SW Denver) - I'd say Arapahoe Basin

3. Any Vail restaurant recommendation? I’ve heard Montauk Seafood is very good, but reviews are mixed and Happy Hour Thursday is better deal. - Head to Edwards and hit Dish. http://www.eatdrinkdish.com Absolutely fantastic. If you must stay in Vail Sweet Basil is a favorite and Red Lion and The George are more bar like. At Dish or Sweet Basil you'll need reservations most likely.

5. Are free remote lots at Beaver Creek and Snowmass convenient? - Yes at BC. No idea at Snomass.

Thanks for all the help so far. Keep the ideas coming.

1. We are leaning towards Vail first day as we very rarely get there and it's the biggest so having two days there would be good. Arapahoe is not free on our Heavenly passes, but I have $30 coupons for our last day. I may go there early (by bus or thumb) and leave wife at our motel near outlets at Silverthorne and have her pick me up at 1 pm.

3. I've heard good things about Sweet Basil so we may try it Friday.

4. I'm still considering split day as I transfered between Ajax and Snowmass before so Ajax/Highlands would be easier. You get on the bus with a sandwich and something to drink and call it lunch break. My wife has never been to Aspen so I think skiing within walking distance of where we are staying would be something she'd appreciate.

Back