Aspen to reopen this weekend for skiing

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hey, when you have a year like this one you have to take advantage of it, right?

I've just confirmed that Aspen Mountain will reopen for skiing and riding this weekend, and am awaiting a few details before putting a news item together. They'll be uploading and downloading on the gondi, with skiing available by lapping Ajax Express.

Admin":2ewqhri1 said:
Hey, when you have a year like this one you have to take advantage of it, right?

I've just confirmed that Aspen Mountain will reopen for skiing and riding this weekend, and am awaiting a few details before putting a news item together. They'll be uploading and downloading on the gondi, with skiing available by lapping Ajax Express.

Thanks Marc,

I was wondering what to do this weekend? Aspen could be fun? :wink:

Actually have an exam for a job, maybe the following weekend. :lol:

Intriguing.

I know that the roaring fork valley was complaining bitterly about ASC's general lack of late season skiing options given the huge snowpack. Then ASC opened Highlands for a couple late April weekends essentially under pressure, and now this.

I would guess it is more of a heading the locals off from riding the gondi anyway & skiing on their own? Or maybe trying to steal ABasin's title/notoriety now that they don't go as long as they could/used to? This is one of those years ABasin could at least try for July 4th, but they seem to have lost interest in that and instead go for the earliest opening (non-glacier).

that's fantastic all the more reason for snowbird to stay in weekend mode till july 4 the competition snowbird had about 1700 on sat. and at least that on sunday. several people hiking in alta skiing about. i mean how can you call yourself a skiing company have snow on the mt. and not offer skiing in some fashion. admin we should road trip this weekend to oregon check the place out. :roll:

Admin,
Since you were quoted this weekend in the Bend Bulletin, do you think Justin Yax is reading this?
The nordic skiing across the street from the West Village has been beyond belief! I'm going again tomorrow. But you play, you pay: ($10 to help pay for grooming, even though I paid hundreds for two nordic passes in addition to alpine passes for the whole family).
If Powdr/Mt Bachelor wants to make up some lost ground as they said they intended in the same article, just reopen. There's TONS of snow. There is more snow than usual even after the Holidays.
Then us Bendites don't have to drive anywhere else this weekend to recreate, saving precious fuel. Of course we can just skin up instead, exactly what they'd prefer.
Anyone want to carpool to Willamette Pass?

i would rather not download if at all possible you lose something in the day. to me there's no issue on drive distance it's mostly interstate all 85 plus travel speed.

Bobby Danger":f4rpu9az said:
i would rather not download if at all possible you lose something in the day. to me there's no issue on drive distance it's mostly interstate all 85 plus travel speed.

Both places will involve downloading from what I understand.

schubwa":f4rpu9az said:
Admin,
Since you were quoted this weekend in the Bend Bulletin, do you think Justin Yax is reading this?

:lol: I was wondering when that would run:

http://www.bendbulletin.com/apps/pbcs.d ... /806080317

If they were to reopen Mt Bachelor (fat chance) it would be from the bottom. No half way shuttles needed. See:http://www.mtbachelor.com/winter/services/dor
The other option is, of course, Timberline. My son Carson left yesterday to do his third year as a "digger" for High Cascade Snowboard Camp. It's a very prestigeous job at camp, all kidding aside. I figure it's the perfect summer job for a college kid. You should see him ride.
Timberline had a skimpy 855" this year and have 149" at the 6000' level. Carson tells me it's the most snow they can remember having for the first session there. See:http://www.timberlinelodge.com/ski_ride/conditions.php

EMSC":3kkg5lvt said:
I would guess it is more of a heading the locals off from riding the gondi anyway & skiing on their own? Or maybe trying to steal ABasin's title/notoriety now that they don't go as long as they could/used to? This is one of those years ABasin could at least try for July 4th, but they seem to have lost interest in that and instead go for the earliest opening (non-glacier).

My information says that ABasin is closing to work on construction projects. They are building new/bigger parking lots and a tunnel under Hwy 6 so that guests don't have to dodge traffic from the upper lots. Although I've heard they could have waited 1 more week.

This is one of those years A-Basin could at least try for July 4th
I'd be skeptical. Continental Divide Colorado was one of the very few regions with below average snowfall this year. A-Basin was 85% of normal and Loveland 88%. These are actually lower percentages than the Sierra. Aspen by contrast was a record high 154% of normal.

Recall that the new Montezuma area didn't even get adequately covered until mid-January and that Paliviccini closed fairly early. June 1 skiing at Mammoth was better and more diverse than A-Basin this year.

My information says that ABasin is closing to work on construction projects. They are building new/bigger parking lots and a tunnel under Hwy 6 so that guests don't have to dodge traffic from the upper lots.

I saw a lot of non 4WD cars have trouble in the parking lots this year. Very rutted mess to say the least. Of course being the 2nd year in a row of shutting rather early for construction, at some point that becomes a trend/new baseline.

I'd be skeptical. Continental Divide Colorado was one of the very few regions with below average snowfall this year. A-Basin was 85% <snip>

Recall that the new Montezuma area didn't even get adequately covered until mid-January and that Paliviccini closed fairly early. June 1 skiing at Mammoth was better and more diverse than A-Basin this year.

Tony,

Snowfall might have been below, but snowpack was solidly average IMHO based on my April trips (must have been some wetter storms in there somewhere). Abasin has become very gun shy in the spring after the wet slide death on Pali back in (2001? or so).

Pali and East Wall the past number of years have had plenty of snow depth to ski, but are closed by patrol much earlier than they used to be. Somewhat of a CYA, IMO as it does not seem to be directly related to temperature profiles, etc... but more of a fairly set time in May. This spring for example being quite cool... so it should have been a much more stable snowpack this year than the avalanche year where the overnight temps were not even hitting freezing (allowing the snowpack to go rotten to quite a depth). Anyway, just my opinion as I am no avalanche guru.

Abasin used to stay open until there were only a couple trails up top with upload/download required. Instead, they closed last week with 3 feet of snow on their lower mtn runs... Plenty to stay open for at least a couple more weeks, if not longer, if they really were interested.

Net, after about mid-May; Mammoth, WB or most other places still open definitely do/will have better terrain options than the Basin. Abasin's prime time is now ~March 1- mid-May.

Back