Avalanches - Canyons sidecountry 1/23/12

That's an understatment. From the Colorado Avalanche Info Center, a special advisory is still out today:

Widespread dangerous avalanche conditions exist today. Triggering avalanches is likely on any snow-covered slope 30 degrees or steeper that did not slide during the natural cycle yesterday. The natural avalanche cycle has largely run it course, so I will drop the Avalanche Warning, but natural avalanches are still possible today. Triggering slides will be easy today, and some of them will be bigger than what we have seen so far this winter. Triggering avalanches remotely and from low angle or even flat terrain is likely. Be very wary near or below any avalanche terrain, and keep in mind that even small slides can bury and kill you.

This goes with 2 inbounds avi's over the weekend in Colorado that resulted in deaths. One at Vail on a run cut through the forest, but fairly steep terrain on the frontside (run was closed at the time, 13 yr old ducked under the rope and died), and a second one at Winter Park that is confusing so far with the info released. A person died, but theAVi was only 60 verts in a treed area and ran 18" deep... They haven't said if the person was maybe dragged into a tree or something.

EMSC":1mdwsjxg said:
That's an understatment. From the Colorado Avalanche Info Center, a special advisory is still out today:

This goes with 2 inbounds avi's over the weekend in Colorado that resulted in deaths. One at Vail on a run cut through the forest, but fairly steep terrain on the frontside (run was closed at the time, 13 yr old ducked under the rope and died), and a second one at Winter Park that is confusing so far with the info released. A person died, but theAVi was only 60 verts in a treed area and ran 18" deep... They haven't said if the person was maybe dragged into a tree or something.

That's horrible. 13 y.o. :(

marcski":326ehur1 said:
EMSC":326ehur1 said:

Deets (or what was known at the time, anyway) were posted in a news item here yesterday morning:
http://www.firsttracksonline.com/2012/0 ... two-lives/

Admin":1uqg2wg4 said:
marcski":1uqg2wg4 said:
EMSC":1uqg2wg4 said:

Deets (or what was known at the time, anyway) were posted in a news item here yesterday morning:
http://www.firsttracksonline.com/2012/0 ... two-lives/

Ahh, you're always on top of things, Marc. :). I actually subscribe to your RS Feed on my phone. (1-skiing, 1-cycling, and 1-newswire). But, in the race season, I am usually about 3 days behind in watching the World Cup and I try not to spoil the winner for my watching pleasure and you post some of the race results.

With almost another foot predicted for thursday into Friday...I guess it will be tricky at LCC for a little while..

At Solitude, they're still bombing the bejeesus out of Honeycomb, which they say won't open before Thursday earliest. Otherwise, the conditions were great today. No fresh powder, but packed/ loose powder surfaces everywhere, with only a few rocks poking through on steeps.

Looks a foot or more for Friday..guess I'll upgrade the car rental to get up there in the afternoon...
I wouldn't bother as the storm should be done by morning and it will be rain mixed with snow in the Valley. I'd guess any road restrictions will be lifted by morning.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities

Its only 150.00 more and the Chevy Aveo I was going to get...not a good car for that road..I've tried it before..and I'm done taking the bus...I'll see you all saturday..and hopefully get a 1/2 day in Friday...

I note that LCC road is closed this morning for avi control, with estimated opening time 8:30. Is there likely to be a humongous back-up of cars waiting for the opening?

It looks like it came in awfully dense yesterday evening. Graupel, perhaps? If I were in a position to get there, I would jump on a graupel base with a few inches of fluff on top!

Yup, started out as graupel. 12% overall.

Sent from my Android device using Tapatalk

The word from my Vail homies is that the kids entered the (open) lower gate at Prima Cornice then hiked back up to the area behind the upper (closed) gate. Sad.

Not Canyons, but Alta. It looks like *all* of Backside slid! 8-[

alta backside 1.27.12-13.37.jpg

Back