Avy death at Silver Fork/ Solitude

TRam

Heard there was an avalanche fatality this afternoon from my mom. She works at solitude but wasnt there at the time. 51 yr old male was killed after exiting a backcountry gate via honeycomb canyon. He was recovered immediatly but died of blunt force. My prayers are with his family and I hope it was no one assoicated with this message board.

It occurred in the Meadows Chutes of Silver Fork. 800' long, 400' wide, 4' deep. 51yo Cottonwood Heights resident Ricardo Presnell. Died of blunt force trauma when being swept through a stand of trees.

I'm not clear on this. Was the victim in-bounds or in the back country? I now understand why Alta has been so slow to open so many areas.

He was in the backcountry. The Meadow Chutes are the lower East facing wall of Silver Fork. They aren't accessed by a gate from Solitude. Solitude has applied for the permit to expand into Silver Fork, but for now it is still backcountry.

hmm I thought there was an backcountry gate in honeycomb canyon that you could hike a ridge and be in the meadow chutes, I have only been back there one time so maybe I am mistaken.

TRam":lt8tntpm said:
hmm I thought there was an backcountry gate in honeycomb canyon that you could hike a ridge and be in the meadow chutes, I have only been back there one time so maybe I am mistaken.

That would be the Fantasy Ridge gate, although a) it's quite a slog from there to the Meadow Chutes as they're on the east-facing side of Silver Fork, and b) that gate would've been closed yesterday.

Back