Beaver Mt., UT, Mar. 17, 2024

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
James will like this TR much better than my last one.

IMG_4047.JPG

IMG_4067a.JPG

IMG_4068a.JPG

We checked out of Iron Blosam Saturday and spent an hour or so around Temple Square in SLC.
IMG_5394.JPG

The Salt Lake Temple is undergoing major renovation and seismic retrofitting, which began in 2019 and is estimated to be complete in 2026. The temple will need to be reconsecrated, and complete tours will be available for about 6 months before that, like the one I took in Draper in 2009.

We had a late lunch at the Red Iguana (still a worthy dining destination) and then drove to Logan for the night. From there it’s still a 40 minute drive to Beaver Mt., which is close to the pass between Logan and Bear Lake. Elevation range is 7,200-8,800 feet and exposure is about 2/3 east and 1/3 north. Liz’ window ticket was $70 while I used my Indy Pass.
BeaverMT.jpg

It was past 10:30 when we started skiing. The upper half of vertical still had winter snow if north facing. Perhaps half the mountain was in spring transition mode on this first big warmup day with afternoon temps in the 40’s. Some lower and direct east facing had already melt/frozen.

Terrain was quite expansive, and with modest skier density nearly all groomers were in good shape all day, similar to Powder Mt. the next day. On our second run we spotted ski patrol training.
IMG_4050.JPG

After two groomers we ventured into Beaver’s Powder, which starts with these Aspen glades.
IMG_5416.JPG

It opens up in the mid section.
IMG_5417.JPG

The evergreen forest lower down was melt/frozen so we bailed to Teddy’s Frolic.
IMG_5419.JPG

We moved over to Marge’s Triple, where parts of most groomers were in prime corn mode midday. Here’s the Rodeo Grounds terrain park.
IMG_5420.JPG

After 5 runs on Marge’s we went in for a break and bowl of soup. The locker room downstairs boasts perhaps the most varied collection of stickers from one ski area that I have ever seen.
IMG_4056.JPG

IMG_4059.JPG

And of course the risqué ones:
IMG_4057.JPG

I heard recently about Beaver Mt. from all people Powderchaser Steve. Steve’s objective is to score first chair long vertical fresh tracks, with favored areas being Snowbird, Crystal, Palisades and Jackson. He consulted me recently about his plans for chasing the April 8 total solar eclipse in Texas. He mentioned recently scoring Beaver’s continuous full vertical in Beaver’s sidecountry with an easy traverse back to the base (note that Steve is a snowboarder!). By topography that had to be the southern boundary, view that way from top of Harry’s Dream chair:
IMG_5421.JPG

Under current conditions no way were we going out there but we decided to follow skier packed lines inside the boundary.
IMG_5424.JPG

IMG_5426.JPG

IMG_5428.JPG

Even in bounds this is excellent terrain for fresh snow in mostly spaced trees. We never saw signs for the Canyon View or Robinson’s Rim runs, but I don’t think they are well defined. About 2/3 of the way down the open lines went into the shade so we bailed left to avoid likely crunch.
IMG_5429.JPG

We found a sunny spot for the final pitch.
IMG_5431.JPG

We skied a couple more runs in softened bumps. Liz got her easterner’s mogul fix here on Upper Teddy’s.
IMG_5433.JPG

Lee’s was similar.

On my last chair ride I spotted a first: a snowboarder with his kid on a leash, also on a snowboard.
IMG_5436a.JPG

I finished at 4PM with 20,800 vertical.

Overall I would rate Beaver Mt. very similar to Pebble Creek which we skied on the same Sunday after Iron Blosam week a year ago. But today was more thorough exploration because I was coming down with COVID a year ago and only skied a half day. Pebble is slightly steeper but Beaver much more expansive. Pebble has sidecountry on both sides while Beaver’s is practical only on one side.

Beaver is more remote than Pebble Creek. Utah State University is in Logan, but Beaver is a serious schlep from anywhere else. While in Temple Square we learned than the Salt Lake temple is only the fourth oldest in Utah. One of the older ones is in Logan.
IMG_5441.JPG

Fences/gates were locked and the parking lot was empty, sort of surprising 5PM on Sunday.

We then drove to Eden, checked into our Wolf Creek condo room, changed clothes and drive to the Shooting Star Saloon in Huntsville for dinner. We arrived at 7:15PM, over 3 hours after leaving Beaver Mt.
IMG_4074.jpg

IMG_5442.JPG

Last edited:
We then drove to Eden, checked into our Wolf Creek condo room, changed clothes and drive to the Shooting Star Saloon in Huntsville for dinner. We arrived at 7:15PM, over 3 hours after leaving Beaver Mt.
IMG_4074.jpg

Are they stuffing their St. Bernards?

I am having flashbacks to Upstate New York where we would stuff every deer within 50 miles and stick it in the basement.

Liked it as a kid, but 6 or more deer staring at you. Not sure.

We had a late lunch at the Red Iguana (still a worthy dining destination) and then drove to Logan for the night. From there it’s still a 40 minute drive to Beaver Mt., which is close to the pass between Logan and Bear Lake. Elevation range is 7,200-8,800 feet and exposure is about 2/3 east and 1/3 north. Liz’ window ticket was $70 while I used my Indy Pass.

I guess they have not spoken to the PowMow marketing team - and how to price your ticket at $200+

I feel bad for the marketing team that is going to have to make that sale, which is going to cost nearly $250. It's obviously not their recommendation.

That St.Bernard when alive reputedly weighed a record 298 pounds.

Beaver Mt. is way too far off the beaten path to be anything more than a local’s joint.

Beaver Mountain was the first place I skied in UT, probably in 1974, maybe 73. Neighborhood friend went to University in Logan and girlfriend and I drove out there to ski and visit him. We also skied Alta, getting a rock in windshield thrown by a truck going past quarry between what is now 215 and mouth of BCC. I don't remember if we did two days at Beaver or one somewhere else like Park City. I do remember leaving I-80 and going through Montello and not much else, then being surprised by I-84 as it was not on map we had.

Back