CANNON 1/7/09 another x-mas eve

icelanticskier

skied cannon today. showed up for 1st chair with les and in true cannon fashion, it was snowin and blowin-blowin hard, thank god. one thing that never ceases to amaze me about cannon is that with just 3 or 4 reported inches of snow, it can ski so much deeper when the wind just keeps moving and refilling it providing untracked turns on many runs all morning. getting 1st chair has it's perks like guaranteed 1st tracks on at least yer 1st run. well when there were only enough folks waiting for that 1st chair to fill, it opens up a few more opportunities for 1st tracks in other places as well. 6 runs, yes 6 were completely untracked for us this morning. the wind had worked it's magic in a constant transport business. we skied the banshee runs 3 times b4 the 1st other skiers were to show up. never have i skied cannon with it so uncrowded. alot of folks i heard were waiting to hit it later when it would be deeper. well, ya snooze, ya lose sometimes cuz it never got deeper, just refreshed as the precip ceased early in the day. cannon has done a great job snowmaking this year and have gotten many good trails open. the natural snowcover is pretty much a joke in the woods and natural trails and have a ways to go to be-a go. today was definitely the longest and hardest i've skied of the 23 that i've skied this year due to the constant hero refill all day and increased terrain choices. all open trails skied way above acceptable.
now i sit in room 22 at the lynburke motel in lyndonville vermont where the snow is coming down in varrying intensity. oops, scratch that, les and char just came in from a walk and they are covered in snow as she says, "it is dumpin out there!" nice. quit work, ski burke!
rog

Yea like maybe you're a computer programmer sitting at his desk fakin it. :wink:

Thanks for the update, Ice...I don't need pics to visualize what knee-deep is like at Cannon \:D/ I've been there and done that, by the grace of God!

Now you've got me considering whether to do a day trip to Cannon on Saturday, rather than head up to Stowe friday night. It sounds like the off-trail stuff is def. in better shape at Stowe, so I'm still leaning towards that, but you gave me good food for thought.

and oh yeah, 12/24 AM was one of the great sneaky powder days so far this season.

sszycher":1slxtz5d said:
Thanks for the update, Ice...I don't need pics to visualize what knee-deep is like at Cannon \:D/ I've been there and done that, by the grace of God!

Now you've got me considering whether to do a day trip to Cannon on Saturday, rather than head up to Stowe friday night. It sounds like the off-trail stuff is def. in better shape at Stowe, so I'm still leaning towards that, but you gave me good food for thought.

and oh yeah, 12/24 AM was one of the great sneaky powder days so far this season.

stowe will have better cover than cannon and both will be busy. if i were to ski on saturday, i'd hit up saddleback as they got 14" out of this storm, already had a great woods base, lift tickets are 40 bucks, not 90 or something and it will be less crowded than cannon or stowe on the slowest of midweek days. man am i spoiled skiing midweek.
rog

I did my usual survey yesterday and Cannon reports only 56% open. Might be OK on an empty midweek day but I'd be skeptical on a weekend.

Back