Conversion from phpBB to Xenforo

Just noticing that not only are the old emoticons not available for new posts, but the old posts no longer have any of those emoticons showing either. They were various puctuation/text snippets that were interpreted by the prior software into displaying the right icon.

Not that there is likely much that could be done to alter that on the old posts. Makes for interesting reading at points to see the random text info.
There may be a way around it, but might not be high on the list. If you have specific post that matters to you, you could edit and add in an emoji that makes sense.

I'll leave the logo as is. Tony or anyone do you know someone that could produce a simple and big and square or circle:

F T O

ish logo?

Understand on the emoticons. Just wanted to put it on the radar if there was an easy ask to zenforo tech support. The bigger deal in my book is going to be that the old forums allowed text to be directly entered and attached to the pictures. For the moment all of that text is either not displaying or has been lost. I know I used that feature pretty extensively to ID trail names, people, etc... for context. I'd be far more interested in finding a fix for that than for emoticons.

Also agree that especially for mobile (which I'm on now), the current logo doesn't work - but is less confusing than the zenforo logo at least.

FYI, Not trying to be a pain with prior posts. Just trying to help with QA of the switch so you can be more focused given the huge workload at hand to test the data and new features, etc...

OK, with the help of Marc at XF, we got the logo cropped a little better, centered on desktop and made to display a big as possible on mobile. Not perfect but much better IMO. Thanks @Tony Crocker and Marc.

Question Tony... do you want the logo at the top of the forum to link to the forum homepage or the FTO homepage?

Last edited:
The bigger deal in my book is going to be that the old forums allowed text to be directly entered and attached to the pictures.
I used to use that feature, but there was a relatively short character limit on that text. So I stopped doing that fairly early on.

I am not able to view old format FTO online. But I have HTTrack archival copies on my computer as backup. So I sent Xenforo Marc a screenshot example of an old captioned report as an example.

Last edited:
One more thing Tony. I don't know if you were an admin in the old forum, but I wasn't.

I had a ridiculously easy password here and I just updated it to something complex. As an admin you can't have a simple password. To easy to hack and takedown the site.

For anyone, it's really important to have complex passwords.

I use this tool:

The general smiley list is not so huge IMHO that it's difficult to find the old ones from FTO. I'm glad we got the complete set. I had forgotten about some of my favorites: :bs::smileyvault-stirthepot::snowfight::troll:
The bigger deal in my book is going to be that the old forums allowed text to be directly entered and attached to the pictures.
Bad news on that. Captions aren't part of xenForo core so that data can't be transferred over according to Marc at XF.

Last edited:
The general smiley list is now so huge IMHO that it's difficult to find the old ones from FTO.
Yes, the old FTO forum had a well curated selection of php smileys. I don't see the banging-your-head-against-a-wall or throwing-bricks ones in the recently imported list, but beggars can't be choosers.

Interesting to watch the conversion step by step and grateful to have Harv's guidance as someone who went through all the sausage-grinding recently.

I don't see the banging-your-head-against-a-wall or throwing-bricks ones
Brick throwing is first emoji in second row. :brick:
Head banging is third emoji in 6th row. :eusa-wall:

Interesting to watch the conversion step by step and grateful to have Harv's guidance as someone who went through all the sausage-grinding recently.
The process of the past two days has gone quite smoothly, with the loss of picture captions the only downside I see so far. There may be problems ahead though. XF Marc has not been able to move FTO off its existing server without losing a lot of info. There will be another round of shutdown when that happens. On my end that will involve going through the non-forum parts of FTO. XF Marc has said some aspects may need to be removed to avoid the security issues that periodically crashed FTO over the past few years. The crashes became so frequent that the prior admin gave me login permission for a table repair that fixed most of those crashes.

Last edited:
Bad news on that. Captions aren't part of xenForo core so that data can't be transferred over according to Marc at XF.
Too bad. I was probably the most extensive user of that feature.

I just made my first new TR post. Found it interesting that it choked on a >600KB picture, but not on a >500KB picture. Seems like a very weird file size limit, but I'm sure you'll get that increased in the near future.

That said, considering the potential for issues, getting 99% up and running this quickly is great. I've got a bit of learning to go on using things like the quoting tool.

On my Mammoth report it looked like the limit was just under 1MB. I'll send out an e-mail on that before I spend the rest of today at the beach. :icon-mrgreen:
It's been close to 90F since we got home from Mammoth; tomorrow will be the last day of the hot spell.

I just made my first new TR post. Found it interesting that it choked on a >600KB picture, but not on a >500KB picture. Seems like a very weird file size limit, but I'm sure you'll get that increased in the near future.
I tried to increase it but for some reason it wouldn't let me raise it as high as the limit in our forum. Some kind of server limit.

Can you try another image here to see if the limit seems higher?

Harvey told me he raised the picture limit to a server maximum of 2,048KB. I personally think that's reasonable for the vast majority of TR's. There may be specific cases (maps?) where a higher limit would be useful.

Last edited:
Mine is set at 8mb. I would l think 5 would be ok.

My people want to take pictures with their phone and post from the hill without resizing.

I "BELIEVE" there is some way to get XF to size them down on the upload. I am vague on this.

If @FTO Marc could give advice I'd like it too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back