Courmayeur Italy - February 3, 2024.

Sbooker

When we pulled into Aosta at about 4pm yesterday it was a roasting 18 degrees so my expectations were low for today’s skiing. The original plan was to go to Monterosa but we took a wrong turn onto the autostrada. Courmayeur it was.
It skied way better than I expected. By mid morning the east facing areas between the pistes were softening nicely.
IMG_9400.jpeg

Of course the views were spectacular.

IMG_9395.jpeg

IMG_9394.jpeg

The small tram to the top lift keeps skier numbers down. Kylie on the piste with some room to move.

IMG_9407.jpeg

Up the top had some soft wind blown snow off the sides of the marked trails. It was nice to ski.
We had lunch in Val Veny with the beautiful people. The 14 euro venison pasta was worth that for the ambience alone.

IMG_9411.jpeg

All in all a great day.

We had three ski days left Feb. 1-3. We prioritized Verbier for today's full sun. Those long north facing off piste runs down to Tortin would be tough in bad visibility. They were great today down to the 2,400 meter rain line from Jan. 17-18 which we had observed in Val d'Isere. But much more of Verbier's off piste was smooth; it must have been more sheltered from the wind.

We chose Courmayeur for the cloudy day Thursday, smaller footprint area where we had no expectation of skiing off piste. Friday's partial sun forecast day turned out to be full sun until 3PM at La Thuile/La Rosiere.

Last edited:
We had three ski days left Feb. 1-3. We prioritized Verbier for today's full sun. Those long north facing off piste runs down to Tortin would be tough in bad visibility. They were great today down to the 2,400 meter rain line from Jan. 17-18 which we had observed in Val d'Isere. But much more of Verbier's off piste was smooth; it must have been more sheltered from the wind.

We chose Courmayeur for the cloudy day Thursday, smaller footprint area where we had no expectation of skiing off piste. Friday's partial sun day Friday turned out to be full sun until 3PM at La Thuile/La Rosiere.
Where were you based? Cham?

We were in Courmayeur 2 nights, relocated to Orsieres outside Verbier Friday night. Good thing as Verbier was quite busy Saturday. We barely made it into the Le Chable parking lot at 9:10am before it was full.

If you daytrip to the Monterosa go to Champuloc as the drive is half as long as to Grosseney. Champuloc has more groomers too.

Is that Capitan des Alpes? Looks like it.

I have eaten there twice and it's excellent!
That’s it. I’d like to walk through that area in late spring before the summer crowds arrive. Or maybe autumn before the snow.

Back