Dec 30st - Jan 5th, Eastern Trip.

Jonny D

Ok, time to get out your crystal ball: Where's it going to snow that week???

Just kidding.
I've got a week, and 4 friends, intermediate to expert, and we're heading east. We've been thinking about trying to find a single place to stay for the entire week, but being able to visit between 2 & 3 places.

The rough draft of our trip involves us staying near smuggs, and sking there, Stowe and Jay for the week, depending on snow & how people are feeling.

Obviously it would be better to go later in the season, but half the people are teachers, and so that's the timeframe we've got.

Since you obviously can't predict the weather, how safe is this plan? I know that nothern VT has about a zillion areas, so it's not hard to jump from place to place, but in general, is this a reasonable plan?

If you're going east it's definitely the most reasonable plan, but I'm sure you know there´s a significant chance it will be really bad that early, like last year.

I wouldn't make reservations until the last minute. Even though it is holiday time, there are always rooms available. You won't be finding any deals on lift tix, except maybe at Jay Peak if you have a seasons pass at another mountain or if you pay at par Canadian $. Expect to be forking over $70+ per day for lift tix.

You may do better at Le Massif or any of the Eastern Township's ski areas as for both snow and costs.

Tony Crocker":oeufto4b said:
If you're going east it's definitely the most reasonable plan, but I'm sure you know there´s a significant chance it will be really bad that early, like last year.

The best odds in better good coverage and ski conditions at that time of the year would be Quebec City/Charlevoix. Tremblant is also good at that time, but I would opt for Ste.Anne and Le Massif. You can add a trip to Stoneham, Grand Fonds (Charlevoix), Massif du Sud (south shore of St.Lawrence river) or/and a long road trip to Mt. Edouard. So you have a great diversification and choice with Quebec City unlike Tremblant.

Sharon":oeufto4b said:
I wouldn't make reservations until the last minute. Even though it is holiday time, there are always rooms available. You won't be finding any deals on lift tix (...) if you pay at par Canadian $.

I agree about the last minute reservation part. Canadian money at par isn't much of issue for us now a days. 3% difference between the US and Canadian isn't a big deal. :p

Sharon":oeufto4b said:
You may do better at Le Massif or any of the Eastern Township's ski areas as for both snow and costs.

Le MAssif and MSA are great destionation as I mentioned above. Definitely wait before a commitment to the Eastern Townships at that time of the year. Although I was selling the area as a destination in late March destination last year, 1st week of January can definitely be hit or miss in that region.

Good luck with that trip. Weather and snow conditions can be very "iffy" at that time of year (or really any time of year in New England). But there is always the possibility of getting some good skiing in late December. Hope it works out for you. At the very least, I'd plan some non-skiing activities just in case the snow conditions are a total wash out.

I still have Dec. 31 Season Progress reports for the past 4 seasons, with the following percents of area open:
Jay: 84%, 41%, 93%, 35% (avg 63%)
Stowe: 98%, 69%, 69%, 41% (avg 69%)
Tremblant: 78%, 79%, 55%, 44% (avg 64%)
Ste. Anne: 44%, 90%, 98%, 61% (avg 73%)

What does this tell us? First, to take Sharon and Patrick's advice and avoid advance commitments, since there's at least a 1/4 chance conditions will really suck if you commit ahead. Notice also that 4 years ago Vermont was much better while 3 years ago Quebec City was much better. If you wait, you can pick the better destination.

Patrick has a valid point that the colder temps in Quebec City are a match to Vermont's greater natural snowfall in early season. I have the general impression that Le Massif doesn't get runs open as fast in early season as St. Anne. But of course smaller Stoneham is probably close to 100% by Christmas most years.

Tony Crocker":zijojmn3 said:
I still have Dec. 31 Season Progress reports for the past 4 seasons, with the following percents of area open:
Jay: 84%, 41%, 93%, 35% (avg 63%)
Stowe: 98%, 69%, 69%, 41% (avg 69%)
Tremblant: 78%, 79%, 55%, 44% (avg 64%)
Ste. Anne: 44%, 90%, 98%, 61% (avg 73%)

Something that your numbers can't say is that most of these areas (at least MSA and Tremblant) will have all pretty much all their major runs open. The remainding closed runs will be mostly minor natural runs. If you had a % by acreage, that would give a better picture.

The low 55% for Tremblant was related to the employees being locked out. All operations were done by management, so not all lifts and trails could be opened.

First, to take Sharon and Patrick's advice and avoid advance commitments, since there's at least a 1/4 chance conditions will really suck if you commit ahead. Notice also that 4 years ago Vermont was much better while 3 years ago Quebec City was much better. If you wait, you can pick the better destination.

I'm surprise by that low MSA number versus Tremblant 4 years ago.

Patrick has a valid point that the colder temps in Quebec City are a match to Vermont's greater natural snowfall in early season. I have the general impression that Le Massif doesn't get runs open as fast in early season as St. Anne. But of course smaller Stoneham is probably close to 100% by Christmas most years.

You can wait until only a few days advance reservation for lodging in Ste.Anne de Beaupré (not that the resort, of course), unless there is somekind of religious pelerinage at the Basilica.

My only thought in avoiding the northern latitudes of Quebec had been that it can be bitterly cold. I have spent a few days at Tremblant around Christmas where the temp was -30C, which is way too cold for enjoyable skiing.

However I do realize that colder average temperatures could mean the difference between a resort that is able to blow snow during a milder winter and one that can't.

Our real difficulty with waiting to book is that we are using a timeshare, which must be booked well in advance. I since it's much cheaper to use the timeshare, it's really the only way we can make the trip affordable. So we need to decide soon what we're going to do. It think it's really just a matter of making the best educated guess, and being happy with our decision, realizing that with skiing, the weather is well out of our control...

Just go!!.. A week away with your buds. So what if the skiing is so so . Ski a little drink some beers and hang out. You'll have a good time no matter what the conditions..

Unless you have unlimited time and/or resources Christmas/New Year's is a poor choice for advance planned trips, particularly to areas of suspect snow reliability.

These people are teachers? The March Ontario school break is a much better choice than New Year's. If they're doing a trip then and want another one for New Year's, I guess they can take their chances.

The remainding closed runs will be mostly minor natural runs.
Like say, Goat and Starr at Stowe or the off-piste woods with less than the requisite 40-inch natural base. Only the most interesting terrain from most FTOers' perspective.

Jonny D":2z2guwfx said:
My only thought in avoiding the northern latitudes of Quebec had been that it can be bitterly cold. I have spent a few days at Tremblant around Christmas where the temp was -30C, which is way too cold for enjoyable skiing.

Yes, Quebec might be a colder destination, but with the Holidays we had last year, colder means freezing point versus above freezing elsewhere.

Jonny D":2z2guwfx said:
Our real difficulty with waiting to book is that we are using a timeshare, which must be booked well in advance. (...)It think it's really just a matter of making the best educated guess, and being happy with our decision, realizing that with skiing, the weather is well out of our control...

If you put it that way, I'd go Quebec City and worry about the cold only if it happens. Better cold and snow versus the outside risk of warm and rain.

jasoncapecod":2z2guwfx said:
Just go!!.. A week away with your buds. So what if the skiing is so so . Ski a little drink some beers and hang out. You'll have a good time no matter what the conditions...

Whatever you do and wherever you go, I'm pretty sure (99.8%) that conditions and skiing will be better than the Collingwood area. :wink:

Tony Crocker":2z2guwfx said:
Patrick":2z2guwfx said:
The remainding closed runs will be mostly minor natural runs.

Like say, Goat and Starr at Stowe or the off-piste woods with less than the requisite 40-inch natural base. Only the most interesting terrain from most FTOers' perspective.

I agree for Stowe, Smuggs and Jay, however I was mostly thinking about Tremblant and MSA trails. Most steeps and fun trails (of these places) have snowmaking and natural snow runs aren't generally the most interesting at these places.

Tony Crocker":2z2guwfx said:
Unless you have unlimited time and/or resources Christmas/New Year's is a poor choice for advance planned trips, particularly to areas of suspect snow reliability.

These people are teachers? The March Ontario school break is a much better choice than New Year's. If they're doing a trip then and want another one for New Year's, I guess they can take their chances. .

Agree again on both points. Although Ontario March break is mid-March, that time is definitely better time to go. If there going to ski at that time also, then roll-the-dice and go.

When Patrick and I actually agree on advice about eastern skiing, perhaps people should take it seriously. :wink:

jasoncapecod":16incpt5 said:
Just go!!.. A week away with your buds. So what if the skiing is so so . Ski a little drink some beers and hang out. You'll have a good time no matter what the conditions..

Touché!

Tony Crocker":16incpt5 said:
When Patrick and I actually agree on advice about eastern skiing, perhaps people should take it seriously.

:lol:

Back