First time Europe. Looking for insight.

I have no real plan, but to follow best conditions.
Which dates are you there? Arriving in GVA, right?

Today's update from Weather to Ski:
Snow cover is very thin across some southern parts of the Alps, notably in the southern French Alps and southwestern Italian Alps, where it looks more like mid-April than late February. The situation is better elsewhere though, with generally near normal snow cover across the northern half of the Alps.
:eusa-clap:

Last edited:
I know there’s a general sentiment that there will be plenty of places to stay last minute now that it’s moving into off peak. That said, there is NOTHING available in Morzine / Les Gets and most of Grand Massif area (that doesn’t have a bunk bed and under rich guy cost) . I’m eyeing this for the second leg of the trip but Orbitz and Booking.com is a comedy show with “sold out” tags at entire regions.
What am I missing?

We're gonna ski like it's 1999.
That was a huge year in the Alps, 150+% across most of the northern Alps including several destructive avalanches.
I was referring above to the Prince song, about enjoying yourself one last time as the apocalypse approaches (as @jnelly mentioned, the possibility of being vaporized in the upcoming days/weeks). Better while skiing in the Alps than here in the NYC region, which would certainly be a prime target.

I know there’s a general sentiment that there will be plenty of places to stay last minute now that it’s moving into off peak.
This week is not off peak, particularly since Mardi Gras is today. There are a fair number of places in Europe that have a school holiday during Mardi Gras week.

I’m eyeing this for the second leg of the trip but Orbitz and Booking.com is a comedy show with “sold out” tags at entire regions.
What am I missing?
Fraser mentioned back-channel that it’s probably a combination of:
  1. There is so much pent-up demand and short breaks are particularly popular this winter following the pandemic.
  2. Early March is the highest season for short breaks in the Alps in any year.
  3. Many countries/regions are in in their main holiday week with hotels therefore preferring to stick to Saturday to Saturday.
  4. The snow is vastly better on the northern side of the Alps, which further increases demand.

It may not interest you people from the US but Singapore Air no longer requires a covid test for transit. I'm about 10 days from departure and my destination of France no longer requires a negative test for arrival. That saves some minor cost and hassles. I'm hoping Australia removes the requirement for a negative test for arrivals between now and the end of March.

All of the Alps countries have done away with enforced negative tests for arrivals. I wonder which countries other than the US, Canada, and Australia are still requiring them?

All of the Alps countries have done away with enforced negative tests for arrivals. I wonder which countries other than the US, Canada, and Australia are still requiring them?
Singapore does (although not for transit). New Zealand does - along with 14 days quarantine.
It's covid theatre really.

Back